Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 01:54 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Perhaps that is where you aren't listening. Its going to be called a zora. not a corvette. It is a different model. Re read the thread, this is what i have been explaining.
This is where everything gets complicated on your post...

So the front engine car gets retain the prestigious 7 decade old,Chevrolet Corvette name,
and the all new mid/rear engine car gets to be called
the Chevrolet Zora???

Does the Chevrolet brand really carry that much weight??

To debut an all new car,in a world of sharks,and who have perfected this mid engine game...
And use the Chevrolet Zora nameplate.

Wouldn't that harm this new products chances,
right out of the gate?
Wouldn't the all new mid engine car have its best chances of succeeding by being a “Corvette “?

I could write an essay on why that wouldn’t work..
and so could many others.

Wouldnt that be rolling dice in the boardroom ?

Hey guys let’s not even use the corvette brand name...
lets go all new ..Chevrolet Zora.

Hold it...we (Chevrolet)haven’t had a single new nameplate debut in over 3 decades that has been successful .

Or maybe you mean Zora would be an all new brand under GM?
Cadillac ,Buick,GMC,Chevrolet and ...the all new Zora brand...

Makes even less sense.

Isn’t Corvette the most prestigious and worthy car brand that GM has in their portfolio ?

The Corvette brand is GM’s most noteworthy brand in car manufacturing ...It’s stronger then Cadillac .

Old 07-07-2018, 02:22 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Then technically, the corvette is not front engine, it is also mid engine currently, as its engine is mostly behind the front axle.
Front engine:: engine is in front of the driver.
Rear engine:: engine is behind the driver.
Mid engine: engine is between centerline of both axles.

By these definitions, the corvette is front engined and mid engined. C8 will be rear engined and mid engined.

Boxster has the engine in front of the transaxle both behind the driver, so does Cayman.
911 has the engine behind the transaxle and both behind the driver.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-10-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 05:45 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7
This is where everything gets complicated on your post...

So the front engine car gets retain the prestigious 7 decade old,Chevrolet Corvette name,
and the all new mid/rear engine car gets to be called
the Chevrolet Zora???
I'm going to agree with you that the "Zora" name will only mean anything to old geezers. To anyone under the age of 70 it's not going to mean anything. Or worse, it will conjure up a bygone age. If anything the new ME should be a Corvette and the old FE (if it continues) will get some "heritage" sounding name to satisfy those old fogies who insist that the FE should continue (even though it's piling up in my local showrooms, heavily discounted).
Old 07-07-2018, 06:06 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
I'm going to agree with you that the "Zora" name will only mean anything to old geezers. To anyone under the age of 70 it's not going to mean anything. Or worse, it will conjure up a bygone age. If anything the new ME should be a Corvette and the old FE (if it continues) will get some "heritage" sounding name to satisfy those old fogies who insist that the FE should continue (even though it's piling up in my local showrooms, heavily discounted).
Ok Grasshopper, I'm going to let you in on some knowledge that you might not know or didn't study on your Corvette Forum Fan manual. Surely you understand the historical significance of the C2 generation Head Engineer Zora Arkus Duntov with his intense desire to build a mid engined Corvette during the C2 generation. Surely you would have read that if you had read any significant Corvette book. Or the fact that GM trademarked the Zora name half way around the world in Australia years ago to maintain it's naming rights so as not to draw attention to the process. Or the fact that both FE and ME configurations are the future of Corvette.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-in-the-making

Last edited by skank; 07-07-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:20 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,714 Likes on 2,999 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Mikec7z;1597537877[color=#e74c3c
]A friend of mine who is connected and is usually spot on with corvette predictions[/color], said that his source told him that in 2021 model year, the front engine car is going to get a revamp. The mid engine will be released next year, as a 2020 model he said, but the front engine corvette is not going away, which I already believed, but he says it is getting a face lift. I am not sure if they are going to do a drastic change or if it will just be all corvettes getting a zr1 like front end that breathes better and maybe a few more intercoolers, or what the deal will be. He said that dealers lack inventory on c7 and zr1 as production has slowed down due to constraints on certain pieces and parts supplied.

Curious if this 2021 new front engine body or car, was public knowledge already? First I have heard of it. I imagine they would start putting in the newer dohc motors into the front engine cars, if they are going to continue to make them, so it will be exciting. He went so far as to say, the C8 is what the 2021 front engine car will be called, and the mid engine will carry the name Zora.
Yeah, right...Lol
Old 07-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skank
Ok Grasshopper, I'm going to let you in on some knowledge that you might not know or didn't study on your Corvette Forum Fan manual. Surely you understand the historical significance of the C2 generation Head Engineer Zora Arkus Dontov with his intense desire to build a mid engined Corvette during the C2 generation. Surely you would have read that if you had read any significant Corvette book. Or the fact that GM trademarked the Zora name half way around the world in Australia years ago to maintain it's naming rights so as not to draw attention to the process. Or the fact that both FE and ME configurations are the future of Corvette.
I know enough to spel it right

And this is on my coffee table. I just don't think it's a catchy name. Sorry.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:45 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

^^^ There, I corrected your spelling ! Now go and read the Hagerty Article, concentrate and pay attention to the last paragraph where Corvette Guru Don Sherman tells us we will have two Corvette configurations to choose from.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-07-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:07 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

There, I corrected your spelling ! Now go and read the Hagerty Article, concentrate and pay attention to the last paragraph where Corvette Guru Don Sherman tells us we will have two Corvette configurations to choose from.
The issue here is the op states that his source says the mid engine car won’t even be a Corvette.

He says they’re gonna throw the all new” Chevrolet Zora” in the lions den...against 911’s,Ferrari’s etc.
And save the Corvette nameplate for the very iffy front engine car.
I’m not even open for an argument on that issue,
its got to be unanimous ...

Absolute NO.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

There, I corrected your spelling ! Now go and read the Hagerty Article, concentrate and pay attention to the last paragraph where Corvette Guru Don Sherman tells us we will have two Corvette configurations to choose from.
It's a joke. An ingineur joke. Do I have to spel it out for you?

Anyway,this is the Don Sherman piece I read. Nothing about using Zorba, Xena or whatever

Today it’s clear that tradition is essential to the Corvette ethos. But younger, more adventurous customers will be needed to keep the flame burning. A mid-engine layout will allow more possibilities, including special editions that will climb even higher up the performance and price scale, challenging Europe’s grip on the $100,000-plus sports car market, and a racing program that will keep pace with advancements in the sport. Although the C7 Stingray and its evolutionary descendants will surely live on for several more years, the mid-engine C8 will soon arrive to give Corvette customers a second choice. The new Vette might keep the internal code name Zerv, as a show of respect to Zora Arkus-Duntov and his seminal CERV experimental cars.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:34 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pietro c7

The issue here is the op states that his source says the mid engine car won’t even be a Corvette.

He says they’re gonna throw the all new” Chevrolet Zora” in the lions den...against 911’s,Ferrari’s etc.
And save the Corvette nameplate for the very iffy front engine car.
I’m not even open for an argument on that issue,
its got to be unanimous ...

Absolute NO.

Pietro
Do you actually think that Team Corvette would just drop and give up decades of developed front engine configuration technologies and a massive data base of engineering know how. They have the FE developed to a pinnacle of front engined automotive performance excellence. They are kicking Porsche, Ferrari, and others around racetracks at 1/3 the budgets. They will never, I repeat never give up that advantage that they have worked so hard for over the years. The naysayers of both configurations will go down as the most embarrassing element of this forum. Like I said in a prior thread, some GM powertrain engineers were rolling there eyes at some of your comments. See this post #7 from this thread a few days ago.

I was up at Laguna Seca last month when GM Powertrain showed up at the track. I got to talk to a few of the test drivers there that were driving 2 new ZR1's, 2 Stingrays, and 5 new Camaro's. They told me they were GM powertrain engineers and putting test miles on the engines. I asked them if they were testing a new version of the LT1 and they wouldn't say yes or no. They just smiled. I then said "You must be testing the new LT2". They still didn't respond though. I then told them that I was on the Corvette Forum and went by the name of Skank and that there were some on the forum that felt the front engined Corvette was going away and wouldn't be built anymore. One of the engineers just rolled his eyes and said "Oh ya sure, right uh hum right". Obviously making fun of the minority on this forum that think the FE Corvette is going away. I asked him if he reads the Corvette Forum and he said yes and that a lot of others read and enjoy the banter going on in the forum. I then asked them if they had read my Zerv List thread on the C8 forum and they clammed up and started to get a little nervous of me asking questions about the ME Zora. They then said "Well, we have to get going" and left.

Last edited by skank; 07-07-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:41 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

my point im getting at, it wont be the c8, it will be the Z1. The c8 will be the front engine model with the new engine lineup.

If they want to throw the corvette name in there somehow for kicks, then sure, im not going to argue that point.

My point is, a c8 is coming, and its not the zora. The ME car is the z1.

Place money bets if you want to argue, otherwise, we all have our opinion, and time will show who is correct.

Porsche told us that the last of the manual transmission gt3 and gt2 rs cars happened a few years back. It made people buy the "last manual porsches for big money" THen porsche re introduced the "manual only edition 911" and everyone bought those for big money. Now we have manual transmission 911's again. It was a fad and a scare tactic that generated huge sales.

Chevy is going to do the same thing here with the ME, make you believe its the end of the front engine car, everyone goes out and buys the "final year" of the c7.

Then after the z1 has made its debut, and sells well, and they flush out all the remaining front engine cars and make people think its the end...

Chevy plays the hero and says "alright, due to public demand, we have created the c8." that will happen in model year 2021 or 2022.

From then on, both cars will be in competition with each other, and blow the doors off of the competition as chevy will have the lowest production price for motors and transmissions on the planet, as they are mass produced and also put in their pickups and suburbans etc.... the engines that is.

Ford GT, Porsche, ferrari and lambo wont hold a candle to the power and reliability chevy will have for a third the price.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-07-2018 at 07:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
pdiddy972 (07-15-2018), Shaka (07-14-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 07:50 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
It's a joke. An ingenieur joke. Do I have to spel it out for you?

Anyway,this is the Don Sherman piece I read. Nothing about using Zorba, Xena or whatever

There, I corrected your spelling again.

Last edited by skank; 07-07-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:54 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Front engine:: engine is in front of the driver.
Rear engine:: engine is behind the driver.
Mid engine: engine is between centerline of both axles.

By these definitions, the corvette is front engined and mid engined. C8 will be rear engined and mid engined.

Boxster has the engine in front of the transaxle both behind the driver, so does Cayman.
911 has the engine behind the transaxle and both behind the driver.
Everyone here knows this. I said rear just as a slight of hand. You think we dont know its not really a rear engine car coming and its a ME... you think we dont know that?

Get lost.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:28 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Pietro
Do you actually think that Team Corvette would just drop and give up decades of developed front engine configuration technologies and a massive data base of engineering know how. They have the FE developed to a pinnacle of front engined automotive performance excellence. They are kicking Porsche, Ferrari, and others around racetracks at 1/3 the budgets. They will never, I repeat never give up that advantage that they have worked so hard for over the years. The naysayers of both configurations will go down as the most embarrassing element of this forum. Like I said in a prior thread, some GM powertrain engineers were rolling there eyes at some of your comments. See this post #7 from this thread a few days ago.

I was up at Laguna Seca last month when GM Powertrain showed up at the track. I got to talk to a few of the test drivers there that were driving 2 new ZR1's, 2 Stingrays, and 5 new Camaro's. They told me they were GM powertrain engineers and putting test miles on the engines. I asked them if they were testing a new version of the LT1 and they wouldn't say yes or no. They just smiled. I then said "You must be testing the new LT2". They still didn't respond though. I then told them that I was on the Corvette Forum and went by the name of Skank and that there were some on the forum that felt the front engined Corvette was going away and wouldn't be built anymore. One of the engineers just rolled his eyes and said "Oh ya sure, right uh hum right". Obviously making fun of the minority on this forum that think the FE Corvette is going away. I asked him if he reads the Corvette Forum and he said yes and that a lot of others read and enjoy the banter going on in the forum. I then asked them if they had read my Zerv List thread on the C8 forum and they clammed up and started to get a little nervous of me asking questions about the ME Zora. They then said "Well, we have to get going" and left.
So they gave you nothing at all.

Last edited by NY09C6; 07-07-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

There, I corrected your spelling again.
Don't bother to reply to the substance.
Shaka (07-14-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:12 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=skank;1597553855]Pietro
Do you actually think that Team Corvette would just drop and give up decades of developed front engine configuration technologies and a massive data base of engineering know how. They have the FE developed to a pinnacle of front engined automotive performance excellence. They are kicking Porsche, Ferrari, and others around racetracks at 1/3 the budgets. They will never, I repeat never give up that advantage that they have worked so hard for over the years.

This is the only part of your post that keeps the probability of the FE corvette continuation a possibility.

If that is what team corvette is planing on doing...
expect baby steps...

The C8 mid engine car that is debuting within months
is gonna get a star spangled banner introduction...

and not with an Appolo Creed in Rocky 2 ending...

Look At the title of the book you posted....
very clear and uncluttered definition of what the Corvette brand is,
and nobody wants to mess with that.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:24 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NY09C6
So they gave you nothing at all.
They were most likely testing the new LT2 or whatever they call it.
Mikec7z (07-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...

Old 07-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Pietro

I was up at Laguna Seca last month when GM Powertrain showed up at the track. I got to talk to a few of the test drivers there that were driving 2 new ZR1's, 2 Stingrays, and 5 new Camaro's. They told me they were GM powertrain engineers and putting test miles on the engines.
Why would they need to test an engine that already is in vehicles

I am agreeing with you and I know you are agreeing with me. I wish some of these fools would put money where their mouth is instead of insult our intelligences. Place a wager. maybe im wrong, maybe they are right, but im confident enough im willing to place money.

They aren't, they just are lonely people who want to argue about stuff they have no clue about with strangers on a forum.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:01 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

They are testing the new LT2 engine in a existing C7 Corvette
Mikec7z (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 03:36 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

exactly

Quick Reply: 2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...