Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim Mero's retired...who's doing the Nurburgring testing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:47 PM
Jorge_C6_C4
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
As I say, driving a street car and a track car like my Vette on the left requires totally different skills. I bet I can drive my car faster than Sebastian Loeb can. A stock car driver can drive a F1 car, but a F1 driver can't drive NASCAR. Kyle Bush must be one of the greatest drivers in history. My roadster with slicks is downright scary to drive and that has no aero stuff. There is tons of instrumentation in development cars. Mero would take half a dozen springs of differing rates to the Ring. He doesn't drive alone. The car is also monitored by telemetry. The Ring, of which I have done 12 laps, is a road and not a race track. Mero does city and country test/development driving also in less than exemplary weather. When you scratch build a car, it doesn't matter how sophisticated you CAD program is, you will have to change plenty things, sometimes may times over. Just getting the brakes right, defies all logic. My new car is a luxury car, I'm going to need some help.
Unless a race car driver is an engineer, he is clueless of how a new car is set up, especially a street car. It is far more complicated than a race car. Heck, I drove in my friend's wife's Toyota Avalon. I couldn't come close to tuning to that level of refinement. It's mind boggling that this is achieved mechanically. German engineers would not be able to do it, I must be German. Race car engineering,( get the online magazine) is brute force engineering compared to street cars. If you haven't been there and done that, you have no business commenting, a very big problem on this forum. Just try and go onto an SAE forum or the Engineer on line sometime.
Please don't take offense but you couldn't beat Sebastien Loeb in a tricycle race !! He's the greatest WRC driver of all time with 9 championships. Rally is arguably the most difficult discipline because of the different surfaces, gravel, asphalt, ice and snow. He also finished 2nd at LeMans and 2nd in the Dakar. Loeb would drive your car with one hand on the wheel while smoking a cigarette. Thanks for making me laugh!

Secondly, while technically the Nurburgring is a public toll road much of the time, it is most definitely a race track. The VLN races 8-9 times a year plus in an event you might have heard of, the 24 hours of Nurburgring.
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 08:43 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by texel
https://twitter.com/bridge2gantry/status/1039913230129405952?s=19
Seems rather early to be doing any timed laps? IF and that’s a mighty big IF, GM does indeed do a timed run, the car will have production paint on.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:15 AM
TheSenator
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Facebook Post

C8 Going Flat Out
Sounds like a V6 to me...
Old 09-13-2018, 09:21 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Damn they muffled the hell out of that V8 lol.
The following users liked this post:
vettesweetnos (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorge_C6_C4
Please don't take offense but you couldn't beat Sebastien Loeb in a tricycle race !! He's the greatest WRC driver of all time with 9 championships. Rally is arguably the most difficult discipline because of the different surfaces, gravel, asphalt, ice and snow. He also finished 2nd at LeMans and 2nd in the Dakar. Loeb would drive your car with one hand on the wheel while smoking a cigarette. Thanks for making me laugh!

Secondly, while technically the Nurburgring is a public toll road much of the time, it is most definitely a race track. The VLN races 8-9 times a year plus in an event you might have heard of, the 24 hours of Nurburgring.
I don't allow smoking in my car.

Quick Reply: Jim Mero's retired...who's doing the Nurburgring testing?