Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy With 460 HP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:37 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

If it doesn't have at least 500 hp then that would be a complete joke. Honestly.

525 hp should be standard right out of the box with the accompanying appropriate amount of torque.

The C5 jumped from 350hp to an eventual 438 hp n the C6. The C7 only increased that number by 22hp. The C7 is a far superior car other than just HP, but the power output left a bit to be desired.

Last edited by C7pimp; 02-11-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn
I'm with you, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....
Just as long as I can buy the duck!

Have a good one,
Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by VetteDrmr:
firstvettesoon (02-11-2019), vndkshn (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

No one really 'needs' more than 460 HP, however a lot of it comes down to how it is put on the ground. Take a look at a Gen 2 Viper GTS, they came with 450 HP and weighed about 3300 lb. They had no bells and whistles, just a big a$$ engine, a tough tranny, and some fat tires to keep it all together. Those car are just about as fun and fast as anyone will ever need but by modern standards they are slow. Cars have gotten faster, but not due to drivers getting any better or more power being added. The car is doing most of the work putting the power to the road, keeping the thing from spinning out, and slowing you down though driving aids and good luck turning most of those aids off. Honestly, if someone tells you they need more power than that 450 hp, they are full of it as quite frankly they can't handle more hp unless the car does it for them, otherwise their name is Andretti.

Also, like most of us, cars have put on a few pounds in recent years. The average sports car is upticking toward 4000 lbs, and some are well over. The new M5 has 600 hp but its moving on up toward 4500 lbs and has all wheel drive now to help keep its tubby butt planted. And even with all that extra power its only barely faster than a twenty year old Viper. But it is so very easy to drive that 600 hp due to all the driving aids. Where a 450 hp Viper will snarl and try to throw you in a ditch at the first wrong move, a new 600 hp M5 can be driven with one hand on the steering wheel, the other hand stuffing some oreos in your mouth, and one foot on the gas. The car is doing thousands of calculations for you, all in an effort to keep you out of the morgue.

So, no one 'needs' more than 460 hp, and frankly most drivers can't handle more than that either. But if the car weighs a lot and has lots of driving aids to keep you out of a ditch and speed is the only goal, then sure, 500, 600, 700 hp, bring them on.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I'm waiting for one of the higher hp variants of the ME, so I don't really care what the base ME comes with as far as hp. I would be surprised, though, if the base ME hp rating doesn't start with a "5".

We'll find out in due course.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
So, no one 'needs' more than 460 hp, and frankly most drivers can't handle more than that either.
Yep, like I said earlier, in good conditions at NCM's track, in track mode (nothing more sophisticated than that), it's pretty darned intimidating going to the top of 3rd gear.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-11-2019, 02:23 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I upgraded my coupe to a Z06 for several reasons, one of which being more power.

I don't get to peak power very often. As my daily driver, I don't get over 3500 RPMs very often. More power isn't always about peak power. I enjoy the low-end power and torque of the Z06 with every shift. It's just plain easier to drive as a manual.

If the C8 is only offered as an automatic, then I don't care as much what the power rating is as long as it handles like it's on rails. If I can get the manual, I hope it's at least 500.

If all I wanted was handling, I could get an MX5 or comparable 'tossable' car much cheaper than my Z06. I expect I'll be 'suffering' with the C7 Z06 until the C8 Grand Sport becomes available.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
But there isn't that substantial of a weight difference. +/-500lbs in some cases. there aren't a lot of hi-po cars weighing <3100lbs out there... The 911s are and some of the Mclarens but the lambos, Ferraris etc are all around that 3300 mark.

Just because you use carbon fiber doesn't mean the car is going to be light sadly.... I'd say the top top of the line should clock in around 3300 and the base 3050. That's a reasonable weight reduction imo.
500 pounds is a crap-ton of weight, dude! The thing about carbon fiber is that not only is the frame a bit lighter but it's also much stiffer. The Corvette's Targa top costs some weight but mostly it results in a substantial stiffness deficit compared to other fixed roof sports cars. It has great stiffness for being a convertable, but there's no option for a fixed hard top, so Chevy forces a sports car on buyers with less torsional rigidity than a Ford Focus Hatchback.

This is where Shaka busts in to explain that the flexibility is actually GENIUS because it uncouples front and rear independent suspensions to make them really really independent and also the FlexiVette can conform to any road surface while maintaining a great ride. The BEST ride. Not like all that million dollar Eurotrash with their fancy maths frames, book learnin' suspensions, and snooty Nürburgring times. Yet despite Shaka's expertise on the matter, GM engineers spend considerable time and money on improving Corvette frame stiffness for each succesive generation.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:14 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,167 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
This is where Shaka busts in to explain that the flexibility is actually GENIUS because it uncouples front and rear independent suspensions to make them really really independent and also the FlexiVette can conform to any road surface while maintaining a great ride. The BEST ride. Not like all that million dollar Eurotrash with their fancy maths frames, book learnin' suspensions, and snooty Nürburgring times. Yet despite Shaka's expertise on the matter, GM engineers spend considerable time and money on improving Corvette frame stiffness for each succesive generation.
+Rep
Old 02-11-2019, 03:37 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
500 pounds is a crap-ton of weight, dude! The thing about carbon fiber is that not only is the frame a bit lighter but it's also much stiffer. The Corvette's Targa top costs some weight but mostly it results in a substantial stiffness deficit compared to other fixed roof sports cars. It has great stiffness for being a convertable, but there's no option for a fixed hard top, so Chevy forces a sports car on buyers with less torsional rigidity than a Ford Focus Hatchback.

I probably could have worded that a tad bit better but, you are correct. 500 is a large difference but when you look in the grand scheme of power to weight and balance that can or can not be a deal breaker. A poorly balanced lack vehicle that is 500 lbs lighter with less motor should severely under perform compared to one that is well balanced laid out etc. Granted that 500lb difference is over the whole car so it is a moot point but depending on the circumstances, it generally makes a big difference. My bad. And as the car gets lighter that difference is more substantial. 500 lbs at 2500 has more impact than at 4000 and so on. All the weight talk makes me want to lose some lol.

Carbon fiber is fun but it does present other weight problems. While you could formerly use the frame as part of the electrical circuit you are now adding back in weight for electrical and you have to be a little more careful with routing things like exhaust and such. Not saying that negates its advantage but you are chipping away at a bit of the weight savings on a full blown vehicle...

Just my opinion. If it's under 3200 I'll be very surprised.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:06 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

The C8 will be without any question the greatest generational change in its history. 500 HP is a lock. Bet the farm on that one as they not going to lose the huge advertising angle that the 500(or more) gives them. 480 or 490 will not cut the mustard here. This is going to be so cool.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TheSenator
I'm in the camp of, factory HP doesn't matter to me, as I like to heavily mod cars.
I'd be happy with an engine with that shares a bunch of architecture with the predecessor.
With the current LT aftermarket, it would be relatively cheap to build a forged motor ready for some boost.

My goal would be a "poor-man's" 720s setup.
Gee finally found someone that's like me. I always alter any car I buy, So a C8 would be no different. And I am not talking about putting a couple of stickers ,on ,like so many do and think they have a modified
Sell a C8 less engine. Now that I would like.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
Gee finally found someone that's like me. I always alter any car I buy, So a C8 would be no different. And I am not talking about putting a couple of stickers ,on ,like so many do and think they have a modified
Wait, stickers aren't mods?!

PC
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:17 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
I used the work truck as the test dummy for the 383 I want to eventually to put in the vette. (I learned some things along the way that I would change when I do it with my money but it would be an absolute riot in the vette as it sits now.)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSenator
I'm in the camp of, factory HP doesn't matter to me, as I like to heavily mod cars.
I'd be happy with an engine with that shares a bunch of architecture with the predecessor.
With the current LT aftermarket, it would be relatively cheap to build a forged motor ready for some boost.

My goal would be a "poor-man's" 720s setup.
..except it's likely those days are gone.. We are entering into the era of un-tuneable vehicles. The end result is it will push more people into purchasing the higher-spec car from the factory, due to the significant challenges of adding power later.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,167 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
..except it's likely those days are gone.. We are entering into the era of un-tuneable vehicles. The end result is it will push more people into purchasing the higher-spec car from the factory, due to the significant challenges of adding power later.
Exactly... the new ZR1 remains untunable. As OEMs lay the foundations for autonomous vehicles the computers will be even more untouchable.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

No I want 500-525
Old 02-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,994 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
Who would be happy if the base C8 only came with the current 460 HP (as with the current performance exhaust). I have no problem with ONLY having this much power. What say you?
Even if I wasn’t in a 650hp Z06, that would be a no. Have to see improvements, however incremental. ME DCT is not enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Happy With 460 HP?

Old 02-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Should have at least 500 Horse Power.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Back in '13 460 was adequate for a sports car, nothing spectacular, now it's a down right joke and for the Stingray to still have 460 after 6 model years is a bit suspect although I will take it, resale value won't go down as much if the 460 stays the same.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:46 PM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Not going to be a C8 at 460 hp! Bank on it

Has corvette (since the c5) ever had a new gen vette have the same hp rating in its base model? Why would they do it with a C8?

Quick Reply: Happy With 460 HP?