Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket in C8

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 07:17 PM
SamTheSham
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I was stopped in a private parking lot to have my tag, license checked. Seems my backup camera was covering the "Rid" on the 'Florida' of my license. Local cop gave me a preprinted form from Fla. statute that explained this. Gave me a "Warning" to have my plate uncovered. I later passed thru the local police dept, parking lot, and found that 3 out of 7 plates had a more covering than I had.

When a supervisor explains that local cops are not getting enough 'tickets' for speeding, etc., a quota is not required, it is IMPLIED!. I have had a few tickets that were tossed because there was no justification, other than the local LEO was observing me exceeding what he thought was an excess speed.

95% of LEO's are good, well intentioned public servants. 2 1/2% were bullies in school, and now they have a badge and a gun to justify their bullying. 2 1/2% were BULLIED in school, and now they have a badge and a gun to pay back that bullying. This coming from a former Fed who has seen both sides of the badge.
If you are a LEO, why are you wearing a Badge??? Are you really a public servant, or are you serving your self????

Last edited by SamTheSham; 06-16-2021 at 07:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tallis77 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 01:33 AM
Jay_None
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Violinfather
I have to admit that sometimes I speed but never in residential areas, where there is a lot of traffic, or bad weather. I also accept the fact that I may
get a speeding ticket but it won’t be a large one or an automatic court appearance because I never exceed the speed limit by much. That being said some guy was filling up his Mustang and looks over and says to me “want to race”? I tell him no and he says “figures” then “why did you buy the car then”. I didn’t even waste my breath to respond lol.
Next time response:
Id prefer an actual challenge
Old 06-17-2021, 05:41 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,722 Likes on 6,696 Posts

Originally Posted by SamTheSham
I was stopped in a private parking lot to have my tag, license checked. Seems my backup camera was covering the "Rid" on the 'Florida' of my license. Local cop gave me a preprinted form from Fla. statute that explained this. Gave me a "Warning" to have my plate uncovered. I later passed thru the local police dept, parking lot, and found that 3 out of 7 plates had a more covering than I had.

When a supervisor explains that local cops are not getting enough 'tickets' for speeding, etc., a quota is not required, it is IMPLIED!. I have had a few tickets that were tossed because there was no justification, other than the local LEO was observing me exceeding what he thought was an excess speed.

95% of LEO's are good, well intentioned public servants. 2 1/2% were bullies in school, and now they have a badge and a gun to justify their bullying. 2 1/2% were BULLIED in school, and now they have a badge and a gun to pay back that bullying. This coming from a former Fed who has seen both sides of the badge.
If you are a LEO, why are you wearing a Badge??? Are you really a public servant, or are you serving your self????
In SC (and as recall similar in TX and some other States) the law reads, "No part of any letter or number can be covered" such as by a license plate frame. The reason is when the police stop a car they will call in the number and need the state to be sure it's not stolen etc. Can understand, would not want to approach a car where I had a higher risk of being shot! The police are not required to "guess" or define how much of a word that is covered is acceptable as to the State because you have some of the "information" covered! You will lose every time in SC. It's a $150+ fine.

Recall when I had my 2014 Vette there was an article where police in Myrtle Beach were giving parked cars tickets. I changed my license plate frame.

I agree, I see a number of cars that violate the law but no excuse! In fact had a clear plastic cover on my wife's license plate and she was stopped and given a warning it had to be removed (which I did.) That is also part of the SC law. The Police are not required to define how transparent or tinted a cover is OR if designed to avoid camera detection! No cover allowed.

For my 2014, 2017 and now my C8 Vettes only use license plate frames that "Don't cover any portion of a letter of number!" Sorry sounds that LEO was right and you have a similar law in FL!

Even my Street Rod with an 8.2 liter BB has a frame meeting the legal requirements.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-17-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:43 AM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 506 Likes on 295 Posts

My Maserati does 185
I lost my license now I don't drive”
Old 06-17-2021, 08:44 AM
SamTheSham
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I can understand stopping/tagging a license plate that is unreadable, but most LEOs are/should be expected to exercise common sense, otherwise they could all be replaced by computers. After my experience, I researched the law, and found it quite common in the USA. I also found a Forum, used mostly by LEOs, that discussed various laws, . On it was a discussion of the 'Covered License Plate' law. Members openly noted that the law was rather nebulous, but allowed those on patrol to randomly stop and question drivers who had 'covered' tags. These were LEOs bragging about what they could use to check out cars and drivers!

When I was stopped, I was somewhat aghast that there was a problem. When the local cop explained that the "ORI" in Florida was obstructed, I asked, "Are you saying that you cannot read the word 'Florida' on my license? He immediately stated, "Don't take and attitude with me, Sir". While he was at my window, his partner was behind the car hand on his weapon ready to draw in case I shoved the door open and jumped out? At this time I was a 67 yr old ,overweight male, in a custom '84 El Camino. Maybe I did look like a serious threat.
As an aside, 2 years later this cop was fired after being convicted of accidentally shooting a spectator with his service weapon that was supposed to be a Blank firing Demo weapon. He also had several cases of excessive use of his K9(new partner after my event) in apprehending a suspect who was fleeing on a bicycle.
Common sense cannot be issued, but should be required of members of Law enforcement. I had 3 in person interviews by a phsycologist, and took 2 written evaluations before I was accepted for Federal Agent training. This cop was hired locally after having been fired from another city in Fla. Unfortunately the "Thin Blue Line" sometimes does too good a job in protecting it's own. Hopefully this will begin to change.
Sorry about the rant.
sambo60 (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 08:51 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Well by your “statistics” 19/20 are public servants.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:59 AM
Warp Ten
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 350 Posts

Back in my early days I had a 1970 Z28. Wanted to protect my self from getting speeding tickets so I bought a Radar detector. I then got 3 Speeding tickets. Now I never use on I just watch the truckers, when they go fast I go fast, when they go the speed limit I go the speed limit. Have to been pinced singe 1970.. Radar detectors are over rated... Laser detectors fall into this category too.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:17 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,722 Likes on 6,696 Posts

I can understand stopping/tagging a license plate that is unreadable, but most LEOs are/should be expected to exercise common sense, otherwise they could all be replaced by computers. After my experience, I researched the law, and found it quite common in the USA. I also found a Forum, used mostly by LEOs, that discussed various laws, . On it was a discussion of the 'Covered License Plate' law. Members openly noted that the law was rather nebulous, but allowed those on patrol to randomly stop and question drivers who had 'covered' tags. These were LEOs bragging about what they could use to check out cars and drivers!

When I was stopped, I was somewhat aghast that there was a problem. When the local cop explained that the "ORI" in Florida was obstructed, I asked, "Are you saying that you cannot read the word 'Florida' on my license? He immediately stated, "Don't take and attitude with me, Sir". While he was at my window, his partner was behind the car hand on his weapon ready to draw in case I shoved the door open and jumped out? At this time I was a 67 yr old ,overweight male, in a custom '84 El Camino. Maybe I did look like a serious threat.
As an aside, 2 years later this cop was fired after being convicted of accidentally shooting a spectator with his service weapon that was supposed to be a Blank firing Demo weapon. He also had several cases of excessive use of his K9(new partner after my event) in apprehending a suspect who was fleeing on a bicycle.
Common sense cannot be issued, but should be required of members of Law enforcement. I had 3 in person interviews by a phsycologist, and took 2 written evaluations before I was accepted for Federal Agent training. This cop was hired locally after having been fired from another city in Fla. Unfortunately the "Thin Blue Line" sometimes does too good a job in protecting it's own. Hopefully this will begin to change.
Sorry about the rant.
They key is the law is written so in court there is not question of the officers' ability to read the state!

However and since you live in FL, if you travel on I 95 through SC you'll pass where I live, Florence. We have a somewhat unique position of being the ONLY relatively large town on I95. I20 also interests I95 in town. As I understand you can go to TX from Florence without hitting a traffic light.

South FL and TX are two locations where drugs' start and are transported to Northern, high population cities. We often have a drug interdiction team that operates in a 25 mile stretch from where I live, where I 95 goes from 2 to 3 lanes 20 miles North of town, through town and reverts back to two lanes after town. In fact in town there is a ~5 mile stretch that the speed reduces to 60 mph (in fairness when it went to 3 lanes some of the entrance ramps are very short and we have had a number of deaths in that section.) I have a friend who is a SC Constable. It's a volunteer position and he will work at the Darlington Race, in Myrtle Beach during Bike week. large Car Shows etc. He also worked with the drug interdiction teams when assembled.

I have personally seen >20 unmarked Black SUV's, blacked out windows operating in that section of road. Our local newspaper reported their were two helicopters working on one as well. They have a van with a Pee facility and drug sniffing dogs! My friend has told me covered license plate frames are a good reason to pull over anyone who looks suspicious! You'll get at least a $150 fine! If they suspect any impairment you'll be asked to Pee or they will bring a drug sniffing dog over! Refuse they will bring you to a judge and your car could be towed! Smart NOT be be a wise ***!

My friend said they prefer to catch drug folks coming back from up North with cash as that and their vehicle can be confiscated. In fact that is where they got most of the SUV's. Also, at normal times. lots of troopers patrolling that stretch (that and 18 wheel tires treads in the road are reasons I only take back roads the 20 miles into town- it's also more fun!) When I take the wife's SUV into town I am careful to set 7 mph over the limit on cruise control. Often see folks passing at 85+ mph etc. When I hit the 60 mph limit section and go 67 mph many don't slow down and are still going 85! That's a 6 point 20 over the limit ticket!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-17-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:51 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,309 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryU View Post
Even my Street Rod with an 8.2 liter BB has a frame meeting the legal requirements.
Unquote

Even my year specific plates have frames that meet this requirement

JerryU (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 10:55 AM
JazzVA
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 132 Posts

Running Waze - Radar is illegal in Virginia. Generally I'm keeping my speed at 75mph or thereabouts as a max. My speed reminder is set at 75mph so I'm at least aware of my speed. I had a recent road trip of 1,300 miles with speeds typically at 15mph+ over the limit, but running Waze and allowing others to be rabbits for me. It's funny that people want to prove their car is faster and will often get ahead of you and stay there. Give then 1/4 mile gap and they will likely get the ticket rather than you. Finally I think a lot of police departments have bigger fish to fry that writing speeding tickets. Traffic definitely also seems to be at a faster pace than before covid and that also seems to help.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:39 PM
davelv
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 96 Posts

My cross country trips last summer and this year revealed that most states presently aren't enforcing interstate speed limits. Apparently the deputies don't want to catch covid. I would expect as covid winds down they will return.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:20 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Originally Posted by davelv
My cross country trips last summer and this year revealed that most states presently aren't enforcing interstate speed limits. Apparently the deputies don't want to catch covid. I would expect as covid winds down they will return.
The reality is, most cops in general aren’t enforcing anything. The liberal/left wing media and politicians have demonized the police to the point they wanna do one thing…..come to work, go home, be reactive. Proactivity in policing is currently not a priority amongst most police officers. I can speak from 21 years of experience in the profession.
wfoZ06 (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 01:21 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by bapd77
The law in Oklahoma that prohibits more than 50% revenue from tickets has been on the books for quite some time and it’s well understood in the law enforcement community. There is no ticket quota. It’s a belief by those who are uninformed about the police profession.
The reality is, most cops in general aren’t enforcing anything. The liberal/left wing media and politicians have demonized the police to the point they wanna do one thing…..come to work, go home, be reactive. Proactivity in policing is currently not a priority amongst most police officers. I can speak from 21 years of experience in the profession.
First, all law enforcement professionals take an oath and the vast majority I have worked with at Federal, State, county, and municipal levels take their oaths extremely seriously just like those who serve in our military. So, to infer that the average officer nationwide isn’t honoring their oath is the type of pathetic political spin that dishonors every law enforcement professional. Professionals in law enforcement either honor their profession and their oath or they must have the integrity to step down. If such individuals fail to step down they are no longer professionals, particularly if they continue to collect pay and benefits while merely pretending to do optimal enforcement work in order to protect themselves from their own tendencies towards misconduct. Implying that all or most officers in the US are intentionally only giving lip service to their oaths is a frightening and groundless accusation.

Second, there are about 18,000 policing agencies in the US. The average US city receives about 2-3% of its revenue from traffic enforcement at a per capita rate of about $10 in fines per resident. So for anyone to even remotely defend a State law allowing 50% of city revenue to be generated by tickets while simultaneously claiming there are no ticket quotas in the US is disingenuous at best. There are US cities that generate 85% of their budget from traffic fines and there are many cities where the average officer writes 20 tickets a day and in at least one city every officer averages 40 tickets per duty period. The most egregious speed trap quota towns raise anywhere from 10% to 50% of their revenue from tickets at per capita rates between $100 to $500 per resident. One of the highest such quota cities generates $6,256 per resident, and all such excessive quota or speed trap revenue generation behaviors must again be compared to national averages of 2% of budget and $10 per capita.

Last edited by B747VET; 06-19-2021 at 01:22 AM.
rponfick (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 258 Posts

I my area Police do not stop chime they investigate it.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:13 PM
cj2driver
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC8
This is the most blatant and specific data mine question I've ever seen posted on a forum.
Probably a State FArm agent looking for justification to jack up the rates on C8s.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:43 PM
Gator1969
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cj2driver
Probably a State FArm agent looking for justification to jack up the rates on C8s.
..and my name is Jake! Sign them up, then jack up the rates!
Old 06-19-2021, 10:53 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Originally Posted by 5632
I my area Police do not stop chime they investigate it.
Isn't that how Policing works everywhere?

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding Ticket in C8

Old 06-21-2021, 12:21 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Originally Posted by B747VET
First, all law enforcement professionals take an oath and the vast majority I have worked with at Federal, State, county, and municipal levels take their oaths extremely seriously just like those who serve in our military. So, to infer that the average officer nationwide isn’t honoring their oath is the type of pathetic political spin that dishonors every law enforcement professional. Professionals in law enforcement either honor their profession and their oath or they must have the integrity to step down. If such individuals fail to step down they are no longer professionals, particularly if they continue to collect pay and benefits while merely pretending to do optimal enforcement work in order to protect themselves from their own tendencies towards misconduct. Implying that all or most officers in the US are intentionally only giving lip service to their oaths is a frightening and groundless accusation.

Second, there are about 18,000 policing agencies in the US. The average US city receives about 2-3% of its revenue from traffic enforcement at a per capita rate of about $10 in fines per resident. So for anyone to even remotely defend a State law allowing 50% of city revenue to be generated by tickets while simultaneously claiming there are no ticket quotas in the US is disingenuous at best. There are US cities that generate 85% of their budget from traffic fines and there are many cities where the average officer writes 20 tickets a day and in at least one city every officer averages 40 tickets per duty period. The most egregious speed trap quota towns raise anywhere from 10% to 50% of their revenue from tickets at per capita rates between $100 to $500 per resident. One of the highest such quota cities generates $6,256 per resident, and all such excessive quota or speed trap revenue generation behaviors must again be compared to national averages of 2% of budget and $10 per capita.
You certainly know how to put words in people's mouths. I never implied or stated they don't take their oaths seriously. I simply said that proactive policing has subsided because of the MSM agendas.
5632 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 03:17 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

You certainly know how to put words in people's mouths. I never implied or stated they don't take their oaths seriously. I simply said that proactive policing has subsided because of the MSM agendas.
Seriously? You state that you never said it and then you end by making the exact same groundless accusations of broad unprofessional conduct against every police officer in the nation.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:24 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts

Waiting on fall delivery of C-8, but the dumbest thing I ever did was in 1966 driving a new 66 corvette with loud side exhaust on the then Sunshine State Parkway ( Now Florida Turnpike). I was on spring break and extremely tired, driving nonstop to Miami from Brooklyn N Y. I had about 120 miles to go and was falling asleep. My brilliant decision was try to make it in an hour. Sped up to 110 to 120 mph and used the center line as an airplane would to keep from running off the road. As I approached cars I would slow to 80 and then speed back up. After about a half an hour I thought I saw a north bound cars brake lights. I watch my rear view mirror for any sign of a car coming up on me. A few minutes later I passed a car and sped back up to 110 mph. After a few minutes I noticed that the car I thought I passed, was keeping up with me but at what looked like a half mile behind. My thought was the guy was using me as a safety car to allow him to speed too.
It was a few minutes later I noticed this car coming up on me at what had to be 150 mph. I let go of the gas and downshifted to third as the car slowed, as not to use my brakes. The car paced me for a minute or so at 70 mph. Then the blue lights came on and I pulled over.
The police officer walked to my door and asked me to come into his car. I really though he could never had clocked me as he was so far away. By the way no radar back then!
I asked if everything was ok and he said yes. So I asked him if he could turn off his flashing blue light. He then asked me why I thought the light was on. I replied to signal me to pull over. He said I was half right. The other reason was to let all the cars I passed, that I got you. I asked what for.
He then informed me he clocked me for seven miles and I averaged 110 mph. I of cause said that’s impossible. He then radioed in and asked for the station to play back the last recording. I now heard his voice saying he was turning south bound in pursuit of a red corvette
Then after a minute or so he said start and a mile marker number. He also started a second stopwatch on his steering column. At the seventh mile marker he said stop and stopped his watch then. He said what does that read, I said exactly 4 minutes. Then he showed me a conversion chart and it was 110 mph.
I then said maybe I was doing 75 or 80 and how could he clock me from so far away. He then asked me to step out of the car and walk to the front of his. Not knowing what he was up to I complied. Then he pointed out to me how his headlights were set. The quad headlights were lit on the inside beams and aimed down. This gave the appearance that he was much further back than he was.
I tried many explanations such as my speedometer cable was dry and the speedometer was bouncing and hard to read. After many stories I said you are a law officer and it looks like I am not going to win this. So what happens now.
He told me anything over 100 mph would mean going to jail and I was to lock my car. I said I am on spring break and if my mother finds out I may have to sell my car. I then asked what would happen if he wrote the ticket for 100 mph. He said I would just have to post a bond with him. My reply was couldn’t you just do that. He commented that he noticed how I would slow down as I passed other cars and asked why. I told him I did not want to startle the drivers.
After a few minutes he agreed to write it for 100 mph. I asked what the bond was and he said $100. Now you have to realize how much $100 was in 1966. I showed him I did not have a $100. My next question was how much would it be for $90. He said $50 and I showed him I was just short of $50 and still had to pay the toll. Finally he said if he wrote it for 85 mph it would be $35. I then asked stupidly what would it be for 80 mph. His answer was jail.
To this day I still have the bond receipt and ticket. As I walked back to my car I thanked him very much, not only for the reduced ticket, but I surely would have fallen asleep and he saved my life.
His car that he was very proud of was I believe a 1965 Plymouth with a 426 engine and two four barrels. He said it was set up like a Daytona car.
That was the last time I did something stupid like that. I still think of how kind he was to me. Time have changed.
The following 2 users liked this post by EasyElliott:
16falcon (06-26-2021), AORoads (06-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket in C8