Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brought my new C8 in for smog it’s not ready 🤦🏻‍♂️

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 01:47 PM
mnext02
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
Here are some of the ODBII drive cycles I've used for my Tahoe and C6 Corvette. See Both Attachments
Idle the engine in drive for 2.5 min?
you mean take it out of park and put it in drive and sit there for 2.5 min with foot on break and ac and rear defrost on?
Old 07-16-2021, 02:35 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 659 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
Here is Georgia we get a three year pass. Plenty of time for drive cycles. Checking brand new car is waste of time. Look at the BS you have to go through for nothing.
Originally Posted by JScottH3
Same here in VA.
Originally Posted by Foosh
MD currently exempts vehicles for 3 years after MY, and that even extends to vehicles bought used. It was recently announced they are doubling that exemption to 6 years citing a high pass rate of 99% for vehicles 6 years old and less.

It's nice to have a gov agency pay attention to the data on how much cleaner newer vehicles are and to respond in ways to reduce the burdens on taxpayers.
In California new cars get an eight year pass. The check is only for new out-of-state cars to confirm they're compliant. So GA, VA and MD require smog tests more frequently than "Kommiefornia."
Old 07-23-2021, 03:40 PM
mnext02
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

UPDATE:

837 miles. Oxygen sensor still on.

Had appointment with smog referee and he gave me a smog certificate. Nightmare is finally over. 🙌🏼
The following 2 users liked this post by mnext02:
Vet Interested (07-23-2021), zcobra1 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:44 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

837 miles…..that sucks!
Old 07-24-2021, 11:50 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
837 miles…..that sucks!
That REALLY Sucks!!
Old 07-25-2021, 10:25 AM
JScottH3
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 70 Posts

Here is Georgia we get a three year pass. Plenty of time for drive cycles. Checking brand new car is waste of time. Look at the BS you have to go through for nothing.
Same in Virginia
Old 07-25-2021, 08:29 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Glad to hear it finally set and u passed ! I was going to say as some have already said, as many cold starts as you can get done helps get there.
wonder how the yokels selling their very low mileage C8 for profit in Cali are handling getting the smog for the new owner if a Cali buyer ?
That would be a mess....
Old 09-16-2021, 05:21 PM
charles.breed
5th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2021 3LT w/ 125 miles Failed two O2 and Evap

In Austin Texas, with 125 miles, inspection failed Evap and o2 Sensor - "NOT READY" complete CRAP, come on GM, program the car to Pass, VW did with their Diesels :-)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:02 PM
RK43
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave O
If you do a courtesy delivery you don't have to worry about this. The dealer you purchased it from does not register it. The car gets registered by the receiving dealer. Hence, if you do a courtesy delivery to a California dealer they do the registration and its as if you purchased it from them - and no smog check. Did this with my C6 and doing as well with my C8.
I only wish this were true. If you do a CD with MM this is true, but Ciocca does not allow it. They do the registration ppwk even if out of state, and if you're in CA you guessed it....gotta wait to smog it.

Someone posted earlier in this thread that you can just make an appointment with the referee right away and they can override the smog requirement since the car is brand new and give you a clear smog. Did I understand that correctly?
Old 09-16-2021, 06:04 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,263 Likes on 3,438 Posts

Originally Posted by charles.breed
In Austin Texas, with 125 miles, inspection failed Evap and o2 Sensor - "NOT READY" complete CRAP, come on GM, program the car to Pass, VW did with their Diesels :-)
The car will pass once it has completed the necessary drive cycles. One of the concerns is probably the car may fail the test if it is tested before it is ready. That would be worse.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:05 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RK43
Someone posted earlier in this thread that you can just make an appointment with the referee right away and they can override the smog requirement since the car is brand new and give you a clear smog. Did I understand that correctly?
Yes
Old 09-16-2021, 06:18 PM
RK43
Pro

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Yes
I just checked the smog ref site and they're asking for this before you make a referee appointment, does this mean you have to take it for a visual inspection to a smog check place first?
  • Vehicle Inspection Report from your most recent Smog Check
Old 09-16-2021, 06:20 PM
E TKIT RIDE
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Smog

It is true, even in Cali there is a way around the smog-no matter the miles. Call and make an appointment with Bureau of Automotive Repair and they check the car and your paperwork and issue you a smog cert for only $8.25. I had read it was hard to get an appointment. Not in my experience. I called and was offered multiple options-mine is tomorrow. I also did not wait the rumored 15 business days for a call back. They picked up the phone and scheduled the appointment right then.

They were privy to the dilemma discussed on this forum and told me it is a service they provide for exactly this reason-new cars won’t pass smog for an indeterminate time/miles.

You just take your cert to DMV and they’ll register your car.

As for the forum member in TX… I would bet they have something similar. You could even try calling the CA BAR and they might have contact info for you. At least my tax dollars would then go to something good for a change.

Hope this helps guys.
The following users liked this post:
RK43 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:24 PM
charles.breed
5th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RK43
I just checked the smog ref site and they're asking for this before you make a referee appointment, does this mean you have to take it for a visual inspection to a smog check place first?
  • Vehicle Inspection Report from your most recent Smog Check
All the CA ref's I went before requierd the car, usually a very old Hot Rod, not a 2021. GM should be helping out us owners, same problem in Texas, failed two criteria's - No title for me unless I put 700 to 1,100 miles on the car. Somebody said warranty kicks in at 1,500, total BS, my warranty is from mile Zero.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:32 PM
RK43
Pro

Originally Posted by E TKIT RIDE
It is true, even in Cali there is a way around the smog-no matter the miles. Call and make an appointment with Bureau of Automotive Repair and they check the car and your paperwork and issue you a smog cert for only $8.25. I had read it was hard to get an appointment. Not in my experience. I called and was offered multiple options-mine is tomorrow. I also did not wait the rumored 15 business days for a call back. They picked up the phone and scheduled the appointment right then.

They were privy to the dilemma discussed on this forum and told me it is a service they provide for exactly this reason-new cars won’t pass smog for an indeterminate time/miles.

As for the forum member in TX… I would bet they have something similar. You could even try calling the CA BAR and they might have contact info for you. At least my tax dollars would then go to something good for a change.

Hope this helps guys.
Thank you. I'll post the outcome after I take delivery.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:33 PM
Raisin Man
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Roger that. Sell it to me and obey state authority. Republik of California remains hostile to ICE automobiles - and it will only get worse.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:18 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by E TKIT RIDE

Hope this helps guys.
Is this the number you called? 800-952-5210. Or did you call the number on the referee station website? 1-800-622-7733. The second number is the one where I think they tell you to wait 10-15 business days.

Get notified of new replies

To Brought my new C8 in for smog it’s not ready 🤦🏻‍♂️

Old 09-16-2021, 09:24 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by charles.breed
All the CA ref's I went before requierd the car, usually a very old Hot Rod, not a 2021. GM should be helping out us owners, same problem in Texas, failed two criteria's - No title for me unless I put 700 to 1,100 miles on the car. Somebody said warranty kicks in at 1,500, total BS, my warranty is from mile Zero.
The system is set up for new cars being purchased in the state you live in. Here's a TSB from GM that discusses the situation:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...71875-9999.pdf
Old 09-19-2021, 03:45 PM
E TKIT RIDE
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 59 Posts

@Dave O @RK43 Had my appointment Friday, car failed as expected, but the Ref gave me a valid cert to go register the car - again as expected. There is nothing cosmic to this, it's just most folks don't know about the Ref option. Also, yes I called the 7733 # and had no problem setting up the appointment or getting through. No 15 days wait... I even canceled my first appointment and changed it with no problem. Where you live may have an impact on how busy the Ref is. I went to Mt San Jacinto College.... no line at all. Took about 30 min and I was done.
The following users liked this post:
Dave O (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 05:30 PM
ValenciaOrange
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 110 Posts

I know some real good real estate agents. When you plan to move out of California let me know. I will have them get in contact with you.

Quick Reply: Brought my new C8 in for smog it’s not ready 🤦🏻‍♂️