Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 06:04 PM
Lefty32
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

What I get heartburn over is the possibility that Pemco will raise my rates because they see that my car was traveling 120mph (down the straightaway at Ridge Motorsports Park while covered by a Hagerty Motorsports policy.)
Old 03-21-2024, 06:24 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 979 Likes on 641 Posts

The mere fact that we have to do aggressive driving to bed in the CCB's--yet this is being reported as negative driving habits to insurance companies--should immediately require GM to forthwith remove all cellular connectivity for any vehicles it produces. Period.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:32 PM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,011 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefty32
What I get heartburn over is the possibility that Pemco will raise my rates because they see that my car was traveling 120mph (down the straightaway at Ridge Motorsports Park while covered by a Hagerty Motorsports policy.)
​​​​​​
and you're exactly right to have heartburn over that because that's exactly what's going to happen if this BS isn't stopped asap and LN data purged
Old 03-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Lefty32
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
The mere fact that we have to do aggressive driving to bed in the CCB's--yet this is being reported as negative driving habits to insurance companies--should immediately require GM to forthwith remove all cellular connectivity for any vehicles it produces. Period.
In fact, it would be UNSAFE to NOT properly bed the brakes. So insurance companies will penalize us for safer driving?
The following users liked this post:
3LZR21U (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 08:41 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 815 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2024...-data-brokers/

Long overdue and I hope GM gets taken to the cleaners. I despise OnStar.
Same… and it unfortunately makes me despise gm and Mary Barra… this is a shitty way to run a company with gm history and standing in the world. gm was a company that was looked up to. That was once considered cutting edge… products and designs that changed the world…. Now…. Most of its vehicles are average at best… and it resorts to stealing customers, not just consumers, but their own customers data and making money by harming their own customers… I’m just staggered that this is gm’s business plan…. That the CEO and Board of Directors think this is a good idea…. Staggered…
Samuel Clemens (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 08:51 PM
Bob_T
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

When I looked up "acceleration events" and "hard brake events" in one of the many GM disclosures/privacy statements (I don't remember which one) it defined those events as "any rapid change in speed for any reason" which is rather laughable, in itself. Another issue I have with all of this is that the data is being tied to "me", whether or not I am the actual person driving "my car". If one of my kids or one of my friends is driving "my" car and gets pulled over for speeding, "they" get the ticket and it is tied to them, not "me", but, what GM distributes (sells) is "me" breaking the law. This is similar to the camera recorded speeding tickets which have been outlawed in many states, and can usually be thrown out if it goes to court (unless they have a clear picture of "me" driving the car when the speeding photo was taken, which is rare) because they send the ticket to the owner of the car, not the person driving it. It seems like this may be a similar scenario for which there is some precedence?
Old 03-21-2024, 09:54 PM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bob_T
Another issue I have with all of this is that the data is being tied to "me", whether or not I am the actual person driving "my car". If one of my kids or one of my friends is driving "my" car and gets pulled over for speeding, "they" get the ticket and it is tied to them, not "me", but, what GM distributes (sells) is "me" breaking the law.
This is how I disputed my 300 Lexis Nexis records and am awaiting their findings. I told them I am not the driver of this vehicle. They now, by law, have to validate that I was (ie, the records connected to my SSN are actually related to me), or they are required to delete every record I disputed. Now will they follow the law? Will GM come back and tell them, without any true knowledge, oh yeah, rawbar was the driver? That's what I'm waiting to find out. They have about 25 days left to get back to me with their determination.

Last edited by rawbar; 03-21-2024 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:57 PM
JToddH
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 151 Posts

Is GM now the judge, jury and executioner? They are now the self-appointed traffic enforcers by levying penalties for driving it deems unsafe? All without context or defining exactly what the hell qualifies as “sudden acceleration” or “hard braking?”

Twice in the past couple of weeks, I slammed on the brakes because I was cut off by idiots when I had the right of way, but under GM’s new model, I’m the one potentially penalized, not the reckless offenders.

Great job GM!

Last edited by JToddH; 03-22-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Lefty32 (03-25-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Samuel Clemens
Burning Brakes

Received 746 Likes on 427 Posts

How did GM tie my VIN to my social security number? What business does GM have in knowing my social security number? Sam
Old 03-22-2024, 08:08 AM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Samuel Clemens
How did GM tie my VIN to my social security number? What business does GM have in knowing my social security number? Sam
Likely LexisNexis takes the info GM provides, and it's enough to figure out who you are and ties it to your SSN. LexisNexis knows more about you than your spouse. Wouldn't be hard for them to figure it out. One of LNs sources is the RMV. Yes, that data is sold too. 25 years ago I had a subscription that mailed me the data from several east coast RMV databases on a DVD. I could search by license plate number or women between 22-30 that live in Boston and drive BMWs or any other number of creepy ways. If I were a car thief, I could find the address of every hellcat within 50 miles of me. Note that this was 25 years ago maybe 30. I don't know if laws have changed around making this info available but it would be a state to state thing. I recall there were some states not present on the DVD as they didn't sell their data (at that time anyway)

Last edited by rawbar; 03-22-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:15 AM
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by rawbar
Likely LexisNexis takes the info GM provides, and it's enough to figure out who you are and ties it to your SSN. LexisNexis knows more about you than your spouse. Wouldn't be hard for them to figure it out. One of LNs sources is the RMV. Yes, that data is sold too. 25 years ago I had a subscription that mailed me the data from several east coast RMV databases on a DVD. I could search by license plate number or women between 22-30 that live in Boston and drive BMWs or any other number of creepy ways
What is RMV?
Old 03-22-2024, 09:36 AM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 19672014
What is RMV?
Your state's registry of motor vehicles (sometimes called DMV)
Old 03-22-2024, 11:01 AM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 889 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by rawbar
... LexisNexis knows more about you than your spouse...
Yikes!

I sure hope they don't sell my info to my wife.

Old 03-22-2024, 04:07 PM
GR8C8
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_T
When I looked up "acceleration events" and "hard brake events" in one of the many GM disclosures/privacy statements (I don't remember which one) it defined those events as "any rapid change in speed for any reason" which is rather laughable, in itself. Another issue I have with all of this is that the data is being tied to "me", whether or not I am the actual person driving "my car". If one of my kids or one of my friends is driving "my" car and gets pulled over for speeding, "they" get the ticket and it is tied to them, not "me", but, what GM distributes (sells) is "me" breaking the law. This is similar to the camera recorded speeding tickets which have been outlawed in many states, and can usually be thrown out if it goes to court (unless they have a clear picture of "me" driving the car when the speeding photo was taken, which is rare) because they send the ticket to the owner of the car, not the person driving it. It seems like this may be a similar scenario for which there is some precedence?
ABSOLUTELY laughable. Is hard acceleration WOT or anything above 70% throttle? Is hard braking something that triggers ABS or once you apply 80% braking pressure? So vague. If someone cuts you off = Hard braking event. Accelerating onto the freeway that has a stop light = hard acceleration event. I don't see how these instances should have any bearing on insurance rates. Total BS.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:36 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 815 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by GR8C8
ABSOLUTELY laughable. Is hard acceleration WOT or anything above 70% throttle? Is hard braking something that triggers ABS or once you apply 80% braking pressure? So vague. If someone cuts you off = Hard braking event. Accelerating onto the freeway that has a stop light = hard acceleration event. I don't see how these instances should have any bearing on insurance rates. Total BS.
And yet some algorithm written by a software engineer (who probably doesn’t drive) has been used to increase peoples premiums and in some cases actually deny people auto insurance?

The examples you mention…. Hard braking because you were cut off or my favorite, accelerating hard onto a highway (which is the absolute best time to enjoy a high performance car). I love turning onto an on ramp at 20 and WOT to 65 so I am going the speed of traffic as I enter the highway… people could have their insurance rates raised for that?

I’m going to call my insurance company to see if they use these types of reports… it should be illegal for gm to collect and sell this nonsense but insurance companies should not be allowed to use it to set rates. I believe in MA rates (which are regulated) are based on accident history, garage location, and official driving record (tickets.. DUI…) no what some gm Software weenie thinks.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:37 PM
Dirtnap_TX
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

I requested mine and thankfully it has no driving history. This is probably because one of the first things I did when I got my car was disable OnStar. People here teased me that I was paranoid, but I work with software security for a living, have hacked cars, and know many cars have been hacked over the air so I didn't want the possibility. Of course, these people also said we'd never have tuning on the C8 so I figured they weren't to be listened to.

Anyway, what is shocking to me is the amount of completely wrong information on the report. And what is right, is often incomplete. Amazingly, they can charge money for this as it's crap.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:45 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,313 Likes on 6,064 Posts

Now that GM has cut ties w/ LN and Verisk I wonder if my requested reports will get "lost" in transit....
JToddH (03-22-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Old 03-22-2024, 06:20 PM
LeJerk
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

We did it!

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/22/t...iver-data.html

General Motors Quits Sharing Driving Behavior With Data Brokers

General Motors said Friday that it had stopped sharing details about how people drove its cars with two data brokers that created risk profiles for the insurance industry.

The decision followed a New York Times report this month that G.M. had, for years, been sharing data about drivers’ mileage, braking, acceleration and speed with the insurance industry. The drivers were enrolled — some unknowingly, they said — in OnStar Smart Driver, a feature in G.M.’s internet-connected cars that collected data about how the car had been driven and promised feedback and digital badges for good driving.

Some drivers said their insurance rates had increased as a result of the captured data, which G.M. shared with two brokers, LexisNexis Risk Solutions and Verisk. The firms then sold the data to insurance companies.

Since Wednesday, “OnStar Smart Driver customer data is no longer being shared with LexisNexis or Verisk,” a G.M. spokeswoman, Malorie Lucich, said in an emailed statement. “Customer trust is a priority for us, and we are actively evaluating our privacy processes and policies.”

Romeo Chicco, a Florida man whose insurance rates nearly doubled after his Cadillac collected his driving data, filed a complaint seeking class-action status against G.M., OnStar and LexisNexis this month.

An internal document, reviewed by The Times, showed that as of 2022, more than eight million vehicles were included in Smart Driver. An employee familiar with the program said the company’s annual revenue from Smart Driver was in the low millions of dollars.
The following 4 users liked this post by LeJerk:
1 STING (03-22-2024), Car Junkie 24 (03-23-2024), chrisLS1 (03-22-2024), JToddH (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 06:34 PM
JToddH
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Here is the Class Action Lawsuit as published in NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...exisnexis.html

Fascinating read! Sounds like this suit is having an immediate impact with future potential to (hopefully) stop these practices!

Last edited by JToddH; 03-22-2024 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:40 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,258 Likes on 1,163 Posts

So, I just got my LexisNexis & Verisk reports after reading the NYT report a few weeks ago and how to get your recorded data.

I never signed up for Smart Driver and never paid for OnStar. When I called OnStar they said I was not enrolled in Smart Driver. And the website said I was not enrolled.

LexusNexis and Verisk had my driving history day by day from the day I bought the C8 back in Sep 2023 until now.

It records: Dates/# of Trips/Speeding events (over 80)/Hard Braking events (Less that 9.5kph/s)/Rapid Acceleration Events (more than 9.5kph/s)/Driving minutes/Night time Driving days/Mileage per day)

I'm a relatively conservative driver and the totals don't look good.
I suspect the damage has already been done and I'm very concerned about my next insurance renewal.
The following 3 users liked this post by Walt White Coupe:
Car Junkie 24 (03-23-2024), gatorfl (03-22-2024), JToddH (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history