Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 02:02 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,887 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by bbq9000
What all will break when this is removed besides Onstar? OTA updates? GPS for front lift? Garage door opener? Are there annoying error messages? Would someone who has done this comment?
This is the thread you want:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ispreloading=1

He disconnected a single cellular antenna on the right side. It appears to have shut down just the OnStar/Telematics cellular comms. GPS still works. OTA updates can be received via WiFi if desired, but be aware that if a WiFi connection is established, the car may also share stored data with OnStar via that path. Front lift works because it gets GPS. The Google Nav might not work. As noted, if a phone is connected to the car in hotspot mode, it will provide a connection to the internet and a source of data for the Google Maps based nav. But.....again ...... be aware that very same connection to the internet my very well allow telematics to connect to OnStar and share data it has been collecting and storing. So, until shown otherwise, using a phone in a hotspot mode would not necessarily be a safe workaround if it was your desire to prevent data sharing with OnStar.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:02 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 624 Likes on 291 Posts

This is much appreciated…..

Anyone with experience trying this please post your experience….

I made sure my car has NO WiFi connections and turned OTA’s off as soon as I got it home.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:08 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dan Hintz
Receive is easy...satellite, cellular, WiFi, etc. can all blast a fairly hefty "omnidirectional" signal (I put omni in quotes since satellites have a very specific cone that shoot in, and cell sites use active beamforming once a connection has been made), so your entire driving area is blanketed in the signal. Transmit back to a satellite (from a car) isn't going to happen (not enough power or directionality), and WiFi doesn't have the range once you're a few hundred feet from your house, so cell is really all that's left.
Although it might share data if you allow it to connect to your local WiFi network as i do, in my garage. We know that path supports OTAs, and download of Apps, and data to support those Apps while connected. . I cant find an explicit statement that says it will do its data sharing with OnStar duty via that path, but its certainly easy enough.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:10 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 444 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by gbwiii
Be aware just saw a report on tv that General Motors “OnStar” system reports your driving habits to a company called "LexisNexis" who shares that information with auto insurance companies. Glad I didn’t activate that service.
They report your driving to insurance consortiums no matter your subscription status. You cannot opt out. THAT is the root of the problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcthorne:
David 2024 (03-12-2024), gbwiii (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 02:13 PM
gbwiii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess USAA will be giving me a call
Old 03-12-2024, 02:14 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan Hintz
Receive is easy...satellite, cellular, WiFi, etc. can all blast a fairly hefty "omnidirectional" signal (I put omni in quotes since satellites have a very specific cone that shoot in, and cell sites use active beamforming once a connection has been made), so your entire driving area is blanketed in the signal. Transmit back to a satellite (from a car) isn't going to happen (not enough power or directionality), and WiFi doesn't have the range once you're a few hundred feet from your house, so cell is really all that's left.
Onstar uses AT&T cellular network. They collect your driving data no matter your onstar subscription status and the onstar module is not removable nor can it be turned off. You cannot opt out of the data collection other than to not drive the car. THAT is the root of the problem and why folks are so up in arms over it.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:34 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Onstar uses AT&T cellular network. They collect your driving data no matter your onstar subscription status and the onstar module is not removable nor can it be turned off. You cannot opt out of the data collection other than to not drive the car. THAT is the root of the problem and why folks are so up in arms over it.
Read this thread. It appears you can shut down the 4G comms by disconnecting just one, of the two cellular antennas. He did it, and tested. Side effects were minimal.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:41 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 785 Likes on 474 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

So I skimmed through this thread and then logged in to my Chevrolet on my computer and checked my C7 GS and my 14 Silverado. I'm not even enrolled in Smart Driver. Should I enroll in order to check on this or since I'm not enrolled it is not collecting data on my cars?
Old 03-12-2024, 02:42 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andybump
Read this thread. It appears you can shut down the 4G comms by disconnecting just one, of the two cellular antennas. He did it, and tested. Side effects were minimal.

I look forward to seeing more detailed instructions on just where this connection is and how to get to it. Also reports from others substantiating that the LexisNexis data collection stopped on the date it was disconnected. Good news if this turns out to be a solution.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Originally Posted by F4Gary
So I skimmed through this thread and then logged in to my Chevrolet on my computer and checked my C7 GS and my 14 Silverado. I'm not even enrolled in Smart Driver. Should I enroll in order to check on this or since I'm not enrolled it is not collecting data on my cars?
You do not need to be enrolled in anything for them to be collecting your data. On the C8 generation at least, they are from the day you take delivery.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:08 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jcthorne
I look forward to seeing more detailed instructions on just where this connection is and how to get to it. Also reports from others substantiating that the LexisNexis data collection stopped on the date it was disconnected. Good news if this turns out to be a solution.
That information is in the thread. Among other things, see post 123. But there are photos etc. He verified that it shuts down 4G comms. The only other (possible) path is when it connects to an internet enabled network via WifI. The car can see available networks, but it appears that it will not connect to them unless requested from the car menu. And, it requires a password. It can also connect to your phone if you put your phone in hotspot mode and set up that connection - it sees the phone as an external internet enabled network - and it might share data that way. The phone also connects to the car via WiFi to support wireless car play. I am not certain but I do not think sees that as a network connection. I know it does not show up as a network connection in the menu when supporting wireless carplay. Only as a connected device to the car "hotspot". At least prior to 2024.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:43 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkTd6IZVj4

Problem is this will affect OTA updates.
Or an additional benefit depending on your perspective
Old 03-12-2024, 03:49 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 7,010 Likes on 2,700 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkTd6IZVj4

Problem is this will affect OTA updates.
I believe OTA updates were discontinued back in late Sept '23 due to problems...I haven't heard of anyone receiving an OTA update since then...
Old 03-12-2024, 04:27 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tadda
I believe OTA updates were discontinued back in late Sept '23 due to problems...I haven't heard of anyone receiving an OTA update since then...
Did not know that. The record shows my last update was 08/12/2023. There were reports of bricked cars. Don't know if that was the reason, but it would be a good reason.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:54 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Clc3251
Check your app. I definitely disabled safe driver and when I checked the app it was turned back on in both my GM cars. They enabled it without my consent or notice!
I disabled mine a good while back. But I did check again. Mine is still disabled. (that is the Smart Driver feature is deselected).
Old 03-12-2024, 05:02 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Andybump
That information is in the thread. Among other things, see post 123. But there are photos etc. He verified that it shuts down 4G comms. The only other (possible) path is when it connects to an internet enabled network via WifI. The car can see available networks, but it appears that it will not connect to them unless requested from the car menu. And, it requires a password. It can also connect to your phone if you put your phone in hotspot mode and set up that connection - it sees the phone as an external internet enabled network - and it might share data that way. The phone also connects to the car via WiFi to support wireless car play. I am not certain but I do not think sees that as a network connection. I know it does not show up as a network connection in the menu when supporting wireless carplay. Only as a connected device to the car "hotspot". At least prior to 2024.
Wow…. Talk about how can we (gm) get your data…. Let us count the ways…

In the limited time I have spent playing with this stuff in the car any “connectivity” excluding the cars own 4G antenna, seems to be dependent on the user establishing the connection with the car (at least the first time). The system(s) appear to operate like a phone. WiFi is established the same, list of available networks comes on screen, choose one… password, connect… HotSpot (excluding the car’s own through the 4G antenna) requires connecting your phone….

The default for transmitting data appears to be the 4G network connection and if you don’t connect your phone AND don’t connect to any WiFi…. Theoretically the car has no way to phone home… which gives me hope…

If you want OTA etc you could connect to your home WiFi and through the screen tell the car to look for any updates, then disconnect when complete.

Not sure what will happen if you connect your phone for your own use (Navigation, calls). Would be interesting to know if the car would use that opportunity to transmit data…. which could be a lot of data if the 4G antenna is disconnected.

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 03-12-2024 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:09 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 24RiptideBlue

If you want OTA etc you could connect to your home WiFi and through the screen tell the car to look for any updates, then disconnect when complete.

Not sure what will happen if you connect your phone for your own use (Navigation, calls). Would be interesting to know if the car would use that opportunity to transmit data…. which could be a lot of data if the 4G antenna is disconnected.
Yup, those last two are the remaining areas. If (if) it used the WiFi path, when connnected to an external network, then I think it would share the data as soon as the WiFi connection was established. It would be all over before you had time to check for updates.

And, if (again if) it can share data via a WiFi connection to the an external internet enabled network, and you put your phone in hotspot mode and connect it. the car will see it exactly the same as any other network - and it will share the data.

Its only if you connect the phone via BT, or as a "connected device" to support CarPlay, that I think it will not see it as an external network. It just a device. The connections look different in the 2021 car menus.

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Old 03-12-2024, 05:19 PM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 999 Likes on 492 Posts

Mods really to merge all of these threads, now what, 6 in the past month? Getting ridiculous answering the same thing over and over. A solution for the C8 only came out from another member YESTERDAY. This is all new and nobody but ONE person has tested it (the one who figured out how to disable it). And all the info on how to do that is in one place, which isn't here in this thread. If you want details, find the other thread, if you just want to disable it, here's the youtube link.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkTd6IZVj4

TLDR; remove passenger fender liner, unplug the 4G antenna.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:39 PM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 291 Likes on 119 Posts

Y’All are aware that Janet Yellen has access to all your financial records/data, in granular detail.

Brace yourselves for GPS speed-limit governors.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:55 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rawbar
Mods really to merge all of these threads, now what, 6 in the past month? Getting ridiculous answering the same thing over and over. A solution for the C8 only came out from another member YESTERDAY. This is all new and nobody but ONE person has tested it (the one who figured out how to disable it). And all the info on how to do that is in one place, which isn't here in this thread. If you want details, find the other thread, if you just want to disable it, here's the youtube link.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkTd6IZVj4

TLDR; remove passenger fender liner, unplug the 4G antenna.
The multiple threads don’t bother me…. The more chatter the better as more people discover what’s happening, what the car is doing…. What’s happening to people’s information…

If folks aren’t interested they can skip the threads
The following users liked this post:
JToddH (03-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history