Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty for US bought Corvettes in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 01:38 AM
Leonrojo
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Warranty for US bought Corvettes in Mexico

Hey guys. I'm an expat and used to have a C7 when I lived in the US. I have two more years on my temporary residency where I can import a car temporarily for $300 and then return it to the US. After that, it would have to be imported from the US or bought locally which is 2-3X the cost. Car would be bought with cash and registered in FL with FL plates.

I know US warranties are honored in Canada, but does anyone have any experience in Mexico? If not, would it be better to buy a cheaper one out of warranty in the US and then pay out of pocket if something happens? I want to drive it for two years and then sell it back in the US. The car would be very far from the border and going back to the US is not an option during its life south of the border.

Basically, if I buy a new C8 at MSRP from Ciocca and have it shipped via boat for 2k to Mexico from FL, would a "high performance" Chevy dealer that services corvettes offer warranty services?

I know this is an esoteric topic. I don't trust the answers from Mexican dealerships and I guess I could call Chevy customer service in the US to see what they say; however, I am wondering if there is a chance someone here has taken a Corvette to Mexico for an extended amount of time and gotten warranty work.

Old 10-26-2023, 01:47 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,639 Likes on 4,322 Posts

GM's warranties cover cars and owners who are "touring" in Mexico. Not sure that would include someone living there.

For some reason I can't download the C8 warranty booklet, but GM's warranty is pretty consistent across brands, and here's the generic GM warranty booklet from 2021.:

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...20JUL17_3P.pdf

It has lots of references to GM Canada, but nothing for GM Mexico. So I suspect you'd have to return to the US to get any warranty support. And even that might be a problem if the car has Mexican license plates.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:02 PM
Leonrojo
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you, it is an interesting situation indeed. Have the C8s have any major known issues? My C7 never needed anything at all beside oil changes with the z51 dry sump.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:05 PM
DeltaMobile
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 54 Posts

I thought people did not drive flashy cars in Mexico because it was more likely very bad things would happen.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:39 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,639 Likes on 4,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonrojo
Thank you, it is an interesting situation indeed. Have the C8s have any major known issues? My C7 never needed anything at all beside oil changes with the z51 dry sump.
More than a few issues with DCTs. Not a large percentage, but certainly more than anyone, including GM, would like. And at $15K or more for a replacement, I don't think I'd buy a C8 without a warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty for US bought Corvettes in Mexico

Quick Reply: Warranty for US bought Corvettes in Mexico