Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New C8 off to bad start

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 07:40 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicMember
In all my years of buying new cars I've never had a problem within the first year. Standards and people's expectations have been lowered considerably as evidenced in this thread. No wonder some sit on the fence for years trying to convince themselves they won't get a lemon. Okay times have changed but it doesn't change the fact that autos are less dependable than they once were.

less dependable? You are kidding! Cars are more dependable than ever! Compounded with all the technology. I always wonder here’s a complex machine with several computers relays etc. it can sit in sub zero temps or super hot temps and works!

I stated driving 50 plus years ago, I can fill the forum with crap stories. 60 s 70s muscle cars? Ya they were crap! I went to revisit my teen years looking for another 68 mustang. Just could not do it, tin can crap.

I had a great uncle who was great to talk w cause he was an old car guy. Bought new model Ts and the like. The stories he told were very interesting and revealing how cars have evolved.

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 01-03-2024 at 09:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Greg00Coupe:
396tears (01-03-2024), JALLEN4 (01-04-2024), Red C8 of Jax (01-04-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 08:23 AM
2seats
Intermediate

Received 108 Likes on 14 Posts

OP here. Personally, out of 40 something sports cars purchased, I have never had a check engine light on a new car. So this is a new one for me. On the other hand, Porsche has had many issues with catastrophic engine failures due to engineering mistakes or part supplier quality. Ferraris are actually extremely durable cars, but the whole ownership model is based on barely driving the car. The cars are tough enough to be daily driven, but it kills their value. Probably the most annoying thing about a Ferrari is even if it’s a pure ICE engine and you drive it three times a week. You still have to keep it plugged into a trickle charger where the battery will die in a few days.

at any rate, I’m hoping this is nothing major because the car drives normal. A check engine light could just be something that would affect the emissions system. I definitely think that for the price that GM is making this car available, I can forgive a little inconvenience.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2seats:
Blue Curvette (01-04-2024), kromdom (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 08:38 AM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by mefly2
Don't risk the potential damage ... drive it to the dealer ...
agreed, and don't let them wash it and dry it either!
The following users liked this post:
THX_ZORA (01-04-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 09:06 AM
captras
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinAZ
agreed, and don't let them wash it and dry it either!
to mine into Classic Chevrolet Sugar Land for a minor warranty issue. Had a note on the dash to not wash, service tech assured me it would Not be washed....... company policy for Vettes.
THX_ZORA (01-04-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 09:33 AM
GregF
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 118 Posts

I had the MAF issue (they ended up replacing it) on third day. Car started but no way I was driving it, sounded and felt like a washing machine out of balance.

Turned it off and called tow truck. It started up and ran smoothly when they got to my house.

Replaced MAF and all was good.

Can’t remember exact codes.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:59 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 361 Likes on 217 Posts

There appears to be many Forum members that are a lot more tolerate/patient than myself. In this situation I would be very "unhappy".
A new expensive vehicle throwing codes on day 2 is not acceptable to me and I would be looking for some type of compensation for my inconvenience.
JABCAT (01-04-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 10:35 AM
BasicMember
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pltmgr
There appears to be many Forum members that are a lot more tolerate/patient than myself. In this situation I would be very "unhappy".
A new expensive vehicle throwing codes on day 2 is not acceptable to me and I would be looking for some type of compensation for my inconvenience.
I could not agree more. Each time a vehicle enters into service it becomes a possible target of ineptitude. To endure that duress right out of the box is inexcusable and should be compensated. But we know how that would go.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:38 AM
Waterline
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 133 Posts

"Ferrari is even if it’s a pure ICE engine and you drive it three times a week. You still have to keep it plugged into a trickle charger where the battery will die in a few days."

News flash... you better get a trickle charger before you get the car back from the shop, or your battery will be your next problem.
JABCAT (01-04-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 09:43 PM
2seats
Intermediate

OP:

Today I dropped off the car at 10am. I got a call at 4 PM saying that it was ready. I asked what the issue was. I was told that a connector for a sensor or something was loose.

anyway, I’m excited to get the car back tomorrow morning.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2seats:
Blue Curvette (01-04-2024), kromdom (01-03-2024), TD20 (01-03-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 12:50 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,590 Likes on 865 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Waterline
"Ferrari is even if it’s a pure ICE engine and you drive it three times a week. You still have to keep it plugged into a trickle charger where the battery will die in a few days."

News flash... you better get a trickle charger before you get the car back from the shop, or your battery will be your next problem.
OOPS - my C8 will be 2 years old next month. Although I bought a battery maintainer (NOT a trickle charger) I have never used it yet. Guess I better get with the program or my battery will be my next problem.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:51 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,001 Likes on 4,334 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by MarkMeHopeful
OOPS - my C8 will be 2 years old next month. Although I bought a battery maintainer (NOT a trickle charger) I have never used it yet. Guess I better get with the program or my battery will be my next problem.
This isn't new, Corvettes for the last 20 years have needed to (or should be) be kept on battery maintainers. Thus why GM offers a marked up CTEK charger as an accessory. I guess count yourself lucky you haven't experienced any issues yet.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:55 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,590 Likes on 865 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by JABCAT
This isn't new, Corvettes for the last 20 years have needed to (or should be) be kept on battery maintainers. Thus why GM offers a marked up CTEK charger as an accessory. I guess count yourself lucky you haven't experienced any issues yet.
Actually, that's highly debatable as multiple threads in this forum have shown. The "must trickle" camp and the "only if stored for more than..." camp have beaten this to death. Let's not do it again here.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:05 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkMeHopeful
Actually, that's highly debatable as multiple threads in this forum have shown. The "must trickle" camp and the "only if stored for more than..." camp have beaten this to death. Let's not do it again here.
Agreed, but prudence is the better part of valor. I have a very early 2020 C8, 18K miles, with the original battery and have never had an issue of any kind. Living in Colorado with the car under its pajamas for about 3 months of the year, I always hook up the battery tender. Not a big issue.
Ralph
Old 01-04-2024, 06:32 PM
2seats
Intermediate

OP - I picked up the car and drove about 50 miles today. No issues. The engine felt a little smoother today. So maybe it was running a little bit rough and I just didn’t know because I had never driven one before.

Anyways, on with my journey. I have owned a 458 and F8, but admittedly did not daily them. I look forward to using this a lot. It’s going to get a lot of miles.
kromdom (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 06:53 PM
kromdom
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 2seats
OP - I picked up the car and drove about 50 miles today. No issues. The engine felt a little smoother today. So maybe it was running a little bit rough and I just didn’t know because I had never driven one before.

Anyways, on with my journey. I have owned a 458 and F8, but admittedly did not daily them. I look forward to using this a lot. It’s going to get a lot of miles.
Woo-hoo. Happy New Year

Quick Reply: Brand New C8 off to bad start