Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bulge in tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 03:11 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,413 Likes on 613 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

If the bulge is perfectly round it is a defect in the tire. If the bulge is oval it’s from an impact, like a pothole, curb, etc.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:49 PM
thunderstrike
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
RFs are more prone to that damage than regular tires. Oh, and they collapse after about 25 miles or so deflated, AND get ruined if rolled deflated for any distance, which is why almost nobody would patch one. And then, almost nobody carries them, and you need a specialized shop that has the equipment to install them. They provide a false sense of security; they're crap IMO. I always immediately ditch them. At any rate, they're almost 5 years old, and probably worn out quite a bit, so I'd at least replace the rear ones. I'd personally ditch them all for non-RFs.
Thank you for this feedback. I was on the fence what to do when OEM tires are due to be replaced.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Old 01-24-2024, 10:07 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,263 Likes on 3,438 Posts

RFs are more prone to that damage than regular tires. Oh, and they collapse after about 25 miles or so deflated, AND get ruined if rolled deflated for any distance, which is why almost nobody would patch one. And then, almost nobody carries them, and you need a specialized shop that has the equipment to install them. They provide a false sense of security; they're crap IMO. I always immediately ditch them. At any rate, they're almost 5 years old, and probably worn out quite a bit, so I'd at least replace the rear ones. I'd personally ditch them all for non-RFs.
I haven't seen any evidence that RF tires are more susceptible to damage than non-RF tires. If you have any links I'd appreciate seeing them.

You can drive a Michelin RF tire for 50 miles at 50 MPH when flat and fix them if there is a single puncture in the tread. You can drive it further if you're not concerned about fixing it.

Although they can be harder to mount/dismount any competent tire repair facility can do this these days for the Stingray RF tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
thunderstrike (01-25-2024), Zymurgy (01-24-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 06:56 PM
NAV
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

7320 miles and my son noticed the passenger side front tire with the bulge. Took it to Discount Tire where the manager diagnosed it as a pothole impact not warranted by Michelin. I replaced the tire since it was on the front.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:18 PM
thunderstrike
Racer

^^^ Sorry to hear that. I try to pick options where the car comes with meaty tires as I don't like low profile tires. I have regular tires on all my vehicles, except the C8. Believe it or not, Montgomery, AL is virtually free of pot holes (guess it being the capitol city), but I dread pot holes when traveling with my C8.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Old 01-27-2024, 09:48 AM
HOUSEOFWHEELS
Supporting Vendor

Received 303 Likes on 271 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '11

Contact Michelin
They Will probably replace tire free of charge.You might have to pay for mounting and balancing
Bob
House of Wheels
Old 01-27-2024, 09:57 AM
thunderstrike
Racer

Originally Posted by HOUSEOFWHEELS
Contact Michelin
They Will probably replace tire free of charge.You might have to pay for mounting and balancing
Bob
House of Wheels
Great suggestion. The place I bought Jeep tires said they will not replace it under the Road Hazard Warranty, no need to since air is not leaking, but when I called BF Goodrich they said they would replace it free. Tire places are there to sell you new tires.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:54 PM
drwoof
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Correct. The tires should be of equal circumference. Replacing both is a good, but expensive, approach. Alternatively, it is possible to shave down the tread of the new tire to match the one on the other side of the car. Should be just a hair at 6,000 mi., but best to get it dialed in. Tire Rack used to offer this service, and perhaps they still do. It'd also be essential to get exactly the same version of the same tire.

I'm betting it's a defect in the tire. Separating a belt would have required quite a blow-- one so strong that it'd have been hard to go unnoticed. For example, the one I experienced on Interstate Five a couple of years back. Hit a 'change in grade' at around 90. Bent suspension mount on the frame of my trusty station wagon (BMW w/AWD, etc.), but the tire(s) survived (got off highway and inspected as soon as I could-- it was a real blow...). Car can still be aligned, but jeezziss, it sounded like a grenade going off in the car.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:19 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,035 Likes on 840 Posts

Ive seen folks drive 200+ miles on a flat runflat with no pressure without damaging the wheel.

For what their intent is, they are usually solid. I wouldnt go with random off brand run flats but Michelin run flats have been aces IMO.

Quick Reply: Bulge in tire