Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to find a place that lets me test drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 07:58 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,818 Likes on 676 Posts

Of the five corvettes I've owned I got to test drive three, a C4, C6 and one of the C7's. I did get to sit in a C8 long before I even considered getting one. Once I found out I could actually fit the seed was planted 😆
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (02-21-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 09:09 PM
TallGuyCorvette
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Dealers that aren't Chevy are good about test drives. Besides that, Turo is your best bet. I rented a Z51 2LT w/ mag-ride and front lift for a weekend off Turo and put ~450 miles on it for $400 with the upgraded insurance package. Worth it for the extended test drive.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:30 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 361 Likes on 217 Posts

I let professional test drivers at car magazines do the test driving for me. Since I'm of normal size I don't have to worry about fitting in one. The car mags provide me a lot more info than i could obtain in a short ride in an unfamiliar car.

To be honest I owned a number of Corvettes and I loved them all.
sshallen (02-25-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 01:58 AM
kromdom
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 123 Posts

Add me to the list of NEVER DROVE ONE BEFORE BUYING list. Got bit by the bug when the C8 first came out, patiently waited till the prices normalized and luckily found THE ONE last NOV 2023. Drove 3 hours to look the car over: inspected it in/out/over/under, tested all switches/features, etc. FWIW, dealer offered a test drive which I politely declined but they did gladly indulge my request for a cold start up
Old 02-21-2024, 04:19 AM
switchlanez
Drifting

Received 1,260 Likes on 708 Posts
Default The best form of test drive there is

The price is worth a couple days of renting on Turo but with much more extensive exercise of the C8's capabilities plus you can make a vacation out of it. I already have a C8 and already raced a C8 on track at the Corvette Owners School at Spring Mountain but plan to make reservations for this because of that awesome experience:

https://www.thextremexperience.com/s...rvette-c8-z51/
Old 02-21-2024, 04:30 AM
winders
Burning Brakes

Received 1,242 Likes on 562 Posts

Let's not conflate a driver's education event with racing. These are very different things....
G8R-Vette (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 04:59 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 210 Posts
Default I only test drove one of the five Corvettes I've owned

Originally Posted by astepup
Of the five corvettes I've owned I got to test drive three, a C4, C6 and one of the C7's. I did get to sit in a C8 long before I even considered getting one. Once I found out I could actually fit the seed was planted 😆
I only test drove one of the 5 Corvettes I've owned. My first Corvette was a used C4. I bought it locally from a individual seller who allowed me to test drive it. I bought my next three used Corvettes from sellers on Ebay. I bought my most recent used Corvette from a seller here on Corvette Forum. None of the most recent four sellers were located in my state, so I didn't test drive any of them.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:00 AM
switchlanez
Drifting

Received 1,260 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Let's not conflate a driver's education event with racing. These are very different things....
Not competitive motorsports racing against others but still racing around the track and against my own times which meets the other literal definitions of racing. Plus there was literal competitive racing on an autocross "track." Regardless, your pedanticism is completely besides the point.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:46 AM
sanman55
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyxstorm
My order was apparently submitted and picked up but the dealer I'm going through won't let me test drive any c8's. I asked around dealers in the region and they treat these cars like test drives just aren't a thing and everyone out there knows if they really want one or not.

Anyone know a dealer in PA that'll let someone do a test drive?
Would you buy a vette that had been test road by a dozen people??
I understand your interest but come on......
What are you looking for...they are not going to get on her or maybe they do.... so u just get a ride around the block that will tell you nothing...
Get her and you will love it...I hope no one test drove mine???
Old 02-21-2024, 09:16 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,155 Posts

A lot of good suggestions here. We corvette owners are quirky. We demand a car with only single digits on it. Not sure everyone demands this on all their cars or not? When I got my first C8 a '20 my dealer who I have an excellent relationship with called when the car came in concerned it had 40 miles on it. He said I'm not sure you want it. This was the first C8 they sold. I told him to relax 40 miles did not bother me. And asked him to look to see if it was miles to empty which it was. Odd he felt I'd not take the car with 40 miles on it. The day I picked it up, that night it had 800 miles on it.

I recently looked at a used Z. Had 33 miles on it sitting on a dealers floor who bought it at auction. Center rear pipes were black with soot. I told him he be best to have those pipes cleaned, no ones impressed with a car with 33 miles thats been hammered.

As to your challenge. Find a local Corvette Club. Go to a meeting and ask around, I'm sure you can score a ride. I've let fellow hobbyist in your situation drive my car, you never know.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:41 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 444 Likes on 254 Posts

The first time I drove a C8 of any kind was the day I took delivery of my Z06 at the Museum. It was also the first time I even sat in one.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:12 AM
ChotisBill
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The Chevy dealer in Simi Valley wouldn't even let me set in one. No I didn't purchase one from them.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:18 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,263 Likes on 921 Posts

I have found that if you drive up at the dealership in a Corvette they will usually let you test drive a C8. Drive up in a Honda, you are out of luck.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:31 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Not around here.

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I have found that if you drive up at the dealership in a Corvette they will usually let you test drive a C8. Drive up in a Honda, you are out of luck.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:10 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyxstorm
My order was apparently submitted and picked up but the dealer I'm going through won't let me test drive any c8's. I asked around dealers in the region and they treat these cars like test drives just aren't a thing and everyone out there knows if they really want one or not.

Anyone know a dealer in PA that'll let someone do a test drive?
Ciocca in Atlantic City has a nice selection of pre-owned C8's that a potential buyer could test drive, but if you already have one on order, why would you be test driving it now?
Old 02-21-2024, 03:29 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,325 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
We corvette owners are quirky. We demand a car with only single digits.
And yet they have wives with more mileage than their brand new car.

On second thought, maybe that is why they are demanding as close to zero miles as possible.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:46 PM
dale fehrenbach
Pro

Received 299 Likes on 163 Posts

I’m on my 5th vette, a 24 SR. Never test drove them or the numerous other vehicles I’ve bought.

Get notified of new replies

To Unable to find a place that lets me test drive

Old 02-22-2024, 09:05 AM
JDLynch
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I visited a Chevy showroom in louisville that would not allow test drives. They barely allowed me to even sit in one.

I need a test drive to make sure the C8 will work for our planned usage. We plan to travel in this car over long distances. This car will be driven and not parked in the garage depreciating without being enjoyed. Visibility in real world driving is a huge concern for us. I have concerns about being able to see out of the car to change lanes in traffic, as well as enough cabin space for my wife as she typically has her purse, a bag for her ipad, books, snacks, etc.

Turo would be ideal, but they have no C8's in our area.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:24 AM
JakeLucas
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JDLynch
I visited a Chevy showroom in louisville that would not allow test drives. They barely allowed me to even sit in one.

I need a test drive to make sure the C8 will work for our planned usage. We plan to travel in this car over long distances. This car will be driven and not parked in the garage depreciating without being enjoyed. Visibility in real world driving is a huge concern for us. I have concerns about being able to see out of the car to change lanes in traffic, as well as enough cabin space for my wife as she typically has

Luckily, I was able to Turo one. I had the same concern of not being able to see out of the car to change lanes in traffic. It’s not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. There’s no sneaking a quick glance over your shoulder to check your blind spot, that’s for sure.

But that’s where the blind spot indicator comes in handy. I’m all for driving the car, not letting the car drive you. If you work the mirrors you’ll be fine but the blind spot indicators are a nice bit of reassurance. It was completely a non-issue for me.

As far as her purse, a bag for her ipad, books, snacks, etc. That’s no problem. As long as they’re in the front or back trunk. Haha. Actually as long as she is comfortable sharing the footwell space with her stuff, she should be fine. Especially if she’s not very tall and pushes the seat all the way back.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:07 PM
JakeLucas
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JDLynch

I need a test drive to make sure the C8 will work for our planned usage. We plan to travel in this car over long distances. This car will be driven and not parked in the garage depreciating without being enjoyed. Visibility in real world driving is a huge concern for us. I have concerns about being able to see out of the car to change lanes in traffic, as well as enough cabin space for my wife as she typically has

Luckily, I was able to Turo one. I had the same concern of not being able to see out of the car to change lanes in traffic. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. There’s no sneaking a quick glance over your shoulder to check your blind spot, that’s for sure. But that’s where the blind spot indicator comes in handy. I’m all for driving the car, not letting the car drive you. If you work the mirrors you’ll be fine-but the blind spot indicators are a nice bit of reassurance. It was completely a non-issue for me.

As far as her purse, a bag for her ipad, books, snacks, etc. That’s no problem. As long as they’re in the front or back trunk. Haha. Actually as long as she is comfortable sharing the footwell space with her stuff, she should be fine. Especially if she’s not very tall and pushes the seat all the way back.

Quick Reply: Unable to find a place that lets me test drive