Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Trans Service/Oil Life Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 11:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,680 Likes on 6,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
Yup. That tech-link article is inconsistent. However, the +/-500 mile window also appears in the 2024 Owners Manual and its in the updated service procedures as well. So, I will be going with the +/- 500 miles.

Will GM deny a warranty claim if its is with 1000 miles? Who knows. ....

I'm still sticking with the +/- 500 though.
Andy I agree. Would NOT risk a $20,000+ DCT replacement!

SIDEBAR
Have several experiences may be worth folks thinking about before they risk saying changed mine ~6000 miles and good enough:
  1. My 1st new car was a 1967 Chevy (yep and old dude.) Bought from a large Chevy Dealer in a very large City back East. Uncle was Service Manager (later GM.) About 6 months after buying clutch plate cracked! They took it apart and sure enough a large defect was obvious to the naked eye in the broken cast pressure plate. Flywheel face and clutch disk were fine. BUT Uncle said, "a Clutch is a wear part and not covered." BUT he agreed looked like a defect and with no abuse obvious in flywheel, clutch plate face and clutch disk he said. "We'll keep it apart and show our GM Service Rep when in visits." Rep agreed it was a manufacturing defect and it was replaced and fixed free!
  2. Had a somewhat similar issue with my Datsun 260Z where the dif blew a hole in the cover plate and the cost for a new one was ~20% the cost of the car. Dealer tried, BUT Datsun US would not cover. Was managing R&D materials Lab and one of my Lab Division Heads was Japanese. Made a report showing the cause was a retention clip on the ring gear bolt that allowed the bolt to come loose, with a ductile shear of the but that blew though the cover. Included macro and micro pics of bolt. Had the Owner's Manual that had an unusual statement. It said: "IF the dif cover is off check the bolt retaining clips." BUT there was never a reason to remove the cover AND the IRS dif had to be dropped from the frame to even access. Hmm the new there was an issue with the clips. Had the Japanese manager write a cover letter to Nissan Japan in Japanese! Bottom line was reimbursed!
  3. My C6 AC Condenser had a hole. Dealer Service Manger said, "Like a paint chip GM says probably caused by a rock, not covered." Paid $800 and had it fixed. Took old Condenser home and found it was bent right where the hole was located and was IMO a defect prior to it being installed. Wrote a short report with Pic, see below.) Dealer Service manger sent to the GM Service Rep for their area and I was reimbursed for the $800.

That said would NOT try to argue that a ~6000 mile DCT filter change was good enough! GM Exec's said nope, in writing they say MUST be changed again if changed at ~6500 miles prior! Their Rules, Their Warranty. Arguing your case might work BUT might not.

I worked for a very large multibillion dollar Corporation and our Division was coining money! The Industrial Gas Business (selling, making, transporting, storing liquid and high pressure gas cylinders of Oxygen, Nitrogen, Argon) was (and still is) an Oligopoly. Very few main producers and when one raised prices, the other followed. We had 3 year supply contracts for Oxygen, Nitrogen and Argon (where we made obscene profits as today.) How did those hold-up? 100%, only because no one would break another's contract! BUT when the chemicals business was losing money (as it did periodically) word came down from Corporate to "save paperclips." I learned regardless of your Divisions High Profits, BEST "save paperclips!" Could get fired if you did not follow their "austerity edicts!" Now when Mary Barra is losing money because of the crazy 39% Union worker pay increase they had to accept, there will be austerity edicts! When that happens and the word comes down "All Warranty is as Published No Exceptions"- best have followed the written word. Especially as the 750 +/-500 has been stated clearly for 4+ years (whether you think it is foolish or not) that $20,000 new transmission needed will not be covered by the dealer!

I take some chances and have been successfully winning when told "Not Covered." WOULD not take a risk on a $20,000 DCT! I won this one and was reimbursed but DCT too expensive and risky IMO

Last edited by JerryU; 03-27-2024 at 11:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Andybump (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 11:24 AM
Rocky51
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 57 Posts

The free GM service covers the DCT filter AND oil change, but it's only once. So what I did (and a lot of others have done the same) was had the oil changed at about 3K miles on my dime, then at 7500 had the dealer change the DCT filter and oil/filter covered by GM.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:27 AM
Rocky51
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocky51
The free GM service covers the DCT filter AND oil change, but it's only once. So what I did (and a lot of others have done the same) was had the oil changed at about 3K miles on my dime, then at 7500 had the dealer change the DCT filter and oil/filter covered by GM.
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the engine oil/filter change combined with the DCT filter change. The DCT fluid needs to be changed at 22.5K miles.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,680 Likes on 6,667 Posts

It's very mileage dependent re when to take advantage of the FREE offer.

If like me (and many others) where I knew (from 5 prior Vettes all DD's BUT don't use for long distance) I would have ~5500 to 6000 max year 2 so foolish to wait for end year 2 for the FREE offer and then have to change the DCT Filter again a short time later. In addition, got rid of much initial debris with flush year 1 (FREE OFFER MAX @24 MONTHS- NOT a WEEK OVER!) Paid for my engine oil/filter change year 2.

I'll do the same with My E-Ray as expect the same miles with my 7th as the prior 6 Vettes.

If you will have 7000 minimum end your 2 than wait. Have to think ahead!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-27-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:40 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,276 Likes on 3,444 Posts

The 2024 owners manual has the 7500 +/-500 DCT filter change requirement. But, for people that have earlier cars and don't monitor C8 social media, how would they know about the requirement if their dealer didn't tell them? And if GM or the dealer didn't tell them about the requirement how could they be held responsible for it?
Old 03-27-2024, 12:47 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,905 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
The 2024 owners manual has the 7500 +/-500 DCT filter change requirement. But, for people that have earlier cars and don't monitor C8 social media, how would they know about the requirement if their dealer didn't tell them? And if GM or the dealer didn't tell them about the requirement how could they be held responsible for it?
Agree. That's why I noted, in another thread, that at my last service visit, my dealer indicated on the invoice that it needed to be changed at 7,500 miles +/-500 miles. And she also advised me verbally of that in a prior service visit when I used the free service at 1 year and 2500 miles, getting both the oil change and the DCT filter change early. I did that because I knew that at the 2 year mark my mileage would still fall short of 7000 (which it did). If only all dealers did this. They would almost always have an opportunity to advise the customer of that - because anyone trying to comply with the warranty would bring the car in for service at or before 7500 miles, even if they did not know about the +/-500 miles.
RKCRLR (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 12:50 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,905 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the engine oil/filter change combined with the DCT filter change. The DCT fluid needs to be changed at 22.5K miles.
You meant 45,000 miles for the fluid, right? Prior to 2023, the manuals said at 45000 miles to check the FLM and change "if needed. Later manuals say to change it at 45,000 miles.

To summarize, the fluid change is every 45000 miles, or when the FLM says so, or at least every three years (thats in all the manuals), or every 24 hours of track use. The FLM will not account for the three years - the operator must observe that requirement.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:30 AM
Rocky51
Racer

Originally Posted by Andybump
You meant 45,000 miles for the fluid, right? Prior to 2023, the manuals said at 45000 miles to check the FLM and change "if needed. Later manuals say to change it at 45,000 miles.

To summarize, the fluid change is every 45000 miles, or when the FLM says so, or at least every three years (thats in all the manuals), or every 24 hours of track use. The FLM will not account for the three years - the operator must observe that requirement.
You are correct, sir. It is 45K miles for the DCT fluid. The 22.5K mile interval is for the DCT canister filter (page 307 in the manual).
Andybump (03-28-2024)

Quick Reply: First Trans Service/Oil Life Dilemma