Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 theft rates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 09:03 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 476 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm sure there are some C8 thefts but not particularly common. Most of the time I hear about the theft occurring at a dealership. On the street I would imagine the car would be towed.
The following users liked this post:
MKC8 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
MKC8
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
I'm sure there are some C8 thefts but not particularly common. Most of the time I hear about the theft occurring at a dealership. On the street I would imagine the car would be towed.
Towing might be difficult, as they have a built in "inclinometer", that triggers the alarm if they are being tilted/dragged up onto a flatbed, for example.
But if a C8 is stolen in the forest, and no one hears it, does it still end up in EMEA?
Old 04-11-2024, 05:29 PM
CanadianCacti
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MKC8
Towing might be difficult, as they have a built in "inclinometer", that triggers the alarm if they are being tilted/dragged up onto a flatbed, for example.
Learned something new today, thanks.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:54 PM
thebroz1138
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm far more concerned about door dings.
Even so, I've parked in lots of narrow spots and have yet to get dinged.
Lucky
MKC8 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 05:57 PM
MKC8
Racer

Originally Posted by CanadianCacti
Learned something new today, thanks.
I learn something new about these cars every time I drive them.
Not that I ever would, but I wonder if parking on a hill (San Fransisco?) would set it off?
Old 04-12-2024, 05:16 AM
C5racecar
Drifting

Received 986 Likes on 476 Posts

I think car thieves are looking for something they can joyride in without getting noticed, or a car they can sell to a chop shop.
Anything will work for a joyride. Chop shops are probably looking for a Honda, Acura, or Toyota that has a big demand for engines and body parts.

C8 does not fit any of that. Joy ride a C8 without getting noticed, no way. Chop shop; who wants a LT2 with a DTC. What can you put that into without all of the wiring and computers.
Still there is the perception that something that is that valuable to me is worth stealing for someone. Don't know what they would do with it, but they may try to steal it.

I guess there is a market for high end cars to ship international. To me, that is a big city problem. Maybe I'm in the dark.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:46 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 40flier
I'm thinking of taking a trip parking in I-75 motels which I try to avoid. How's the theft rate now that they are plentiful?
If you look you can find single night AirBnB’s with garages!
Old 04-12-2024, 06:55 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,296 Likes on 2,213 Posts

Originally Posted by C5racecar
I think car thieves are looking for something they can joyride in without getting noticed, or a car they can sell to a chop shop.
Anything will work for a joyride. Chop shops are probably looking for a Honda, Acura, or Toyota that has a big demand for engines and body parts.

C8 does not fit any of that. Joy ride a C8 without getting noticed, no way. Chop shop; who wants a LT2 with a DTC. What can you put that into without all of the wiring and computers.
Still there is the perception that something that is that valuable to me is worth stealing for someone. Don't know what they would do with it, but they may try to steal it.

I guess there is a market for high end cars to ship international. To me, that is a big city problem. Maybe I'm in the dark.
Any car with a key fob will do. Especially if the thief has a signal extender. They can literally hold up their device and look for the signal around your house and they start the car go. There's really no pulling the dash and fiddling with wires anymore. Those days were left in the 90s.

Some thieves are also taking pics of VIN numbers where is displayed by your windshield and getting an actual fey fob made. This is big with BMW's which is why BMW theft has risen in my area the past 18 months. Kids who work in dealerships are helping the thieves out and they get a kickback for it.

Similar to what's going on in the home depots by me. 2-3 groups of thieves sit in their car in the parking lot all day and wait for plumbers to show up. Once they see a guy leave his truck, the thief signals to a home depot worker inside the store labeling the guy and making sure that plumber is still in the store all while the thief has time to rob the tools/equipment inside the truck.
Dale06 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:23 AM
ericok
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 70 Posts

I set mine to require the seat belts be connected before you can put it into gear. I think thieves are too lazy to use seat belts and read the dash warning. Not perfect but a deterrent.
MKC8 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 12:27 PM
MKC8
Racer

Do "chop shops" even exist any more? Other than the steak house variety?
I think most small time thieves look for parts they can remove on the spot, like cats, wheels maybe?
Or smash and grab the visible contents.
Or, they need a car that's not traceable to them to commit another crime. Use, dump, and run.
More money to be made stealing the specific vehicles the "customers" want, and loading them onto boats for delivery.
$34.5M in stolen from the GTA (Toronto area) sitting in containers in Montreal. Again, mostly pickups and SUVs.
Anyways, it's just another part of owning something that sparkles.
C5racecar (04-13-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 02:06 PM
rackemup
Racer

Received 238 Likes on 135 Posts

I have known a couple really paranoid people and they were always wound up about their cars being stolen. WTF do they think insurance is for?
Old 04-12-2024, 05:29 PM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 295 Posts

I would be more worried about car jackings. That's the preferred method of taking nice cars these days.
tobaccokid (04-13-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 06:30 PM
rackemup
Racer

Received 238 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by undecided1965
I would be more worried about car jackings. That's the preferred method of taking nice cars these days.
You got that right. Over a thousand in our nations capital last year. Very sad statement.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:17 PM
Crispins
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by C5racecar
We picked up our C8 in Maryland last year, and traveled to North Carolina then Oregon. 12 nights in motels, here is my method to find a good spot.

I look on Google maps the night before and go to the city where we want to stop, click on hotels. Find a few hotel brands that I like, then click on satellite view and look for a good parking spot.
We always pick a hotel close to the interstate away from congested downtown areas. Look for what business are next door, and avoid all night traffic like a 7-11 or 24 hour spots.
I am looking for a hotel with low visibility, low activity, no traffic at night.

Picture below of Hampton Topeka. Right off the interstate, in a business park, real quiet at night. That's the parking spot I want right by the entrance, extra wide. Checked in at 3, went out to dinner and that spot was open when we came back.
We picked a room in the front where I can see my car. That's how I roll.
I do the same thing.

C5racecar (04-13-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:58 PM
MIC7
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

Dodge Challenger and Chargers are HOT.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:20 AM
C5racecar
Drifting

Received 986 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by MKC8
Do "chop shops" even exist any more? Other than the steak house variety?
I think most small time thieves look for parts they can remove on the spot, like cats, wheels maybe?
Or smash and grab the visible contents.
Or, they need a car that's not traceable to them to commit another crime. Use, dump, and run.
More money to be made stealing the specific vehicles the "customers" want, and loading them onto boats for delivery.
$34.5M in stolen from the GTA (Toronto area) sitting in containers in Montreal. Again, mostly pickups and SUVs.
Anyways, it's just another part of owning something that sparkles.
I have to agree. The people stealing thing these days are way to lazy to remove any parts. That's just too much work, and requires tools.
Smash and grab or carjack. That's the way of the modern thief. Keep the labor cost low.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:59 AM
40flier
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

The Miami area has an active chop shops, FHP has snared cars stolen in the SW heading there down alligator alley. One bust had a disassembled Ford GT 40, I linked this recent one because they had a wireless GPS location jammer, WTH did they get that?

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...de-police-say/

Get notified of new replies

To C8 theft rates?

Old 04-13-2024, 09:36 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,979 Likes on 1,319 Posts

FWIW... over the past 66+ years I have parked Ferraris, Porsches, Vettes, and other nice cars at restaurants, hotels, motels, all over the US and never a problem.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:31 AM
/Bear/
Drifting

Received 1,541 Likes on 764 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

There's some good advice in this thread.

Originally Posted by rackemup
I have known a couple really paranoid people and they were always wound up about their cars being stolen. WTF do they think insurance is for?
The problem is, I waited over a year for this car, and if something happened to it, I probably wouldn't be able to replace it for a lot longer than that because they're hardly building any of them right now, and deposit lists are years long. Insurance would be very little help making me whole.

Old 04-13-2024, 10:56 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
FWIW... over the past 66+ years I have parked Ferraris, Porsches, Vettes, and other nice cars at restaurants, hotels, motels, all over the US and never a problem.
Doubt that you parked in Philly, especially the last few years. Tops in stolen cars as well as highjacking. Some of the highest levels in the country. Ask me how I know. I foiled a mid day attempt. Cannot get into details.
/Bear/ (04-13-2024)

Quick Reply: C8 theft rates?