Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Defective during Corvette Museum Delivery @ the NCM Bash

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 05:51 PM
chevyrules727
Burning Brakes

Received 761 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by justplainjim
If I was in your situation I would refuse the car..
Originally Posted by Lefty32
I’d be willing to accept the car but only if they could convince me with great detail what failed, why, and how it was remedied. A simple verbal assurance would not cut it.

Only issue I see is with R8C, you're at the mercy of your state having a cooling off period.

The car is yours before you even show up to the museum as you signed the paperwork, paid for it, etc. No walking away from it.

The following users liked this post:
BearZ06 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 06:28 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,280 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Honestly IMO you're way fortunate it happened where it did vs. getting it home and trying to find a dealer that you would be happy with, unless you're close to Able Chevrolet.
100%.

Can’t imagine how disappointed, frustrated and stressful this situation must be for MichaelPSmith. But as you said, he is very fortunate it happened at the museum where they have access to the finest experienced well trained and knowledgable mechanics plus parts direct from the factory in addition to their access to factory experts too.
kromdom (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 07:10 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 2,194 Posts

My thoughts, if all that hoopla for a Japanese car company, and such happened, QC inspector on the car would have take out back, you in tow, and he would be put down in front of you, for company to save face.
If say Ferrari and Enzo still around, would not be taken out back, but QC person just lynched/hung from the shop rafters to incentivize the mechanic's to not allow such to happen again.

Bluntly, museum knew that car has problems before you go there (guy driving the car to the roped off presentation area saw the dash light up), but instead of taking the car back to the mech's to fix it and not have it ready for museum presentation to you, played the surprise look on their face game when you go there isntead.

Bluntly, Is GM refunding the $1595 R8C for museum delivery charge, since was not ready for it presentation to you when you arrived at the museum?

billclerm (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 07:20 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,280 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
My thoughts, if all that hoopla for a Japanese car company, and such happened, QC inspector on the car would have take out back, you in tow, and he would be put down in front of you, for company to save face.
If say Ferrari and Enzo still around, would not be taken out back, but QC person just lynched/hung from the shop rafters to incentivize the mechanic's to not allow such to happen again.

Bluntly, museum knew that car has problems before you go there (guy driving the car to the roped off presentation area saw the dash light up), but instead of taking the car back to the mech's to fix it and not have it ready for museum presentation to you, played the surprise look on their face game when you go there isntead.

Bluntly, Is GM refunding the $1595 R8C for museum delivery charge, since was not ready for it presentation to you when you arrived at the museum?
You sure jumped to a lot of conclusion without any knowledge of facts. Sure hope I never have to go to court then find out you are in the jury box.
sshallen (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 07:24 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,955 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by DerbyCity
I am retired from the Toyota plant in Kentucky. When the one millionth Camry was produced, they had fanfare and the cameras rolling and a huge banner for the car as it rolled off the line.
Well, that was the plan. It would not start.
It was pushed off the line and the 1,000,001 got the 1,000,000 banner.
Classic. This is too funny! Thank you for the laugh of the day. Talk about bad luck.

Regarding the C8, the plant repairs cars all the time before shipping them. They have the parts, tools and expertise needed to fix just about anything. If it had to break, it broke at the best place possible. They even have a track to test it on. Hopefully, they will get it fixed soon, and it can be shipped to you.

I would have them leave it at the plant for a few days after they think they have it fixed, and have them start it each day to be sure there are no more problems. You can check your Onstar for more errors, too.

I also agree with another poster, that if the museum cleared codes before putting it on the floor without doing any repairs, you should be refunded for the museum delivery. If that's what happened, that's not right.

Last edited by Michael A; 04-28-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:48 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,771 Likes on 3,040 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Definitely not a good start to your new C8, it's easy for me to say but they will get it right
Old 04-28-2024, 07:57 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyrules727
Only issue I see is with R8C, you're at the mercy of your state having a cooling off period.
There no "cooling off period" for a new car purchase in any State.
Maxie2U (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 09:16 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 624 Likes on 291 Posts

So sorry bud… honest to god. With your son and other family members there. I would be wild. I would not make a scene but I would be seething and my wife tells me I don’t hide that well… I’m hoping when the dust settles and you receive a properly functioning car gm/museum offers you something for an abysmal experience.

My car disappeared for two months which apparently happened to a bunch of early 24 builds but I can’t see where anyone put a wrench on it anywhere.

If they repair the car quickly and you don’t have any issues everything will be fine and you will never be able to tell it was “repaired”.

If they are unable to repair it quickly and be 100% confident it’s fixed I would refuse delivery and ask for another car. To me this car already has two strikes and if you do take delivery I would put everyone on notice (the museum, the factory, your dealer and gm customer service) that you have already dealt with more than your share of aggravation. After going through that experience with your family (again Ugh) the car has to be perfect. Period.

I hate typing this considering everything above but I’m assuming you want to know what people think is the best path forward…. These cars are massively complicated (massively over complicated to me) and gm has bought some cars back. There are occasionally faults with electronics deep in the systems and subsystems of the car that are basically untraceable. It’s rare but it does happen. Hence my point of putting everyone on notice…..

Dear General Motors:
“It it isn’t perfect don’t bother delivering the car”

My bet is they fix the problem, it’s something electronic, not mechanical and you get a great car…. The unfortunate part of you are not going to feel normal until at least six months of trouble free driving and gm owes you huge for this aggravation.

Tell gm there is a huge bunch of cranky keyboard warriors that are waiting to spread your story far and wide if they don’t turn this around and deliver you a car everyone in your family is proud of and happy for you to own.

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 04-28-2024 at 10:03 PM.
Maxie2U (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 09:56 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Sometimes thats just how the cookie crumbles. It's hard to understand where the "finger" should point. The museum essentially is acting as the "delivery dealer" if you will, meaning it's something they should've caught or been more proactive about. Clearing the codes definitely isnt the answer, the codes are set for a reason. Sounding like a myriad of codes, I'd personally have to suspect a main power or ground distribution issue is to blame, and is faulting a bunch of things at once.

The issue of traveling there, the expenses associated....I suppose it's the risk you take, but someone dropped the ball and it sounds like the museums delivery process.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,554 Likes on 14,110 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hope they can figure out the issue quickly, assure you that it is fixed and get the car delivered to you. I would agree that some compensation should be coming your way for the disappointing delivery day that you paid handsomely for.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:38 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,384 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by justplainjim
If I was in your situation I would refuse the car..
Not a viable option. The selling dealer received payment so that the museum would be able to release the car to you. The car has a warranty to cover defects and that is the proper recourse. Makes no sense to abandon your property at the museum.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:53 PM
khearon23
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 151 Posts

I would ask to be reimbursed for my travel and lodging expenses to KY.

In addition, I would request that the powertrain warranty period and mileage be doubled. Good ole Chrysler did this for me when I purchased a Crossfire SRT-6 years ago.

All the best.
Landru (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:31 AM
ERay2024
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry you had to go through this. I would be very upset, especially with the museum delivery charge. Having the opportunity of delivery at the Bash would be an honor.

Hope everything gets resolved.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:23 AM
winders
Burning Brakes

Received 1,238 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by khearon23
I would ask to be reimbursed for my travel and lodging expenses to KY.

In addition, I would request that the powertrain warranty period and mileage be doubled. Good ole Chrysler did this for me when I purchased a Crossfire SRT-6 years ago.

All the best.
Both are ridiculous asks...

The car was going to be shipped anyway. It's not like he did not get to have the RC8 experience. They just need to get the car fixed and shipped quickly.
sshallen (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 02:29 AM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,698 Likes on 1,535 Posts

I’m assuming they just hauled it back to the plant? I would request from GM a refund of the NCM delivery due to the obvious. Your selling dealer should make that happen.
Landru (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 07:12 AM
Fishfryer527
Burning Brakes

Received 1,105 Likes on 502 Posts

It’s probably one bad little connector. They’ll find it.

but the bad experience should be compensated with at least a big GM credit to be used on swag, accessories or an extended warranty.

you’ll like the car once you get it.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:19 AM
cwatson6
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 122 Posts

I hope they get it fixed this time around and no more issues down the line.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Defective during Corvette Museum Delivery @ the NCM Bash

Old 04-29-2024, 07:44 AM
khearon23
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Both are ridiculous asks...

The car was going to be shipped anyway. It's not like he did not get to have the RC8 experience. They just need to get the car fixed and shipped quickly.
Yep. Ridiculous asks; kinda describes what happened during his museum experience.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:22 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,887 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Sooo......My understanding is that with a NCM delivery, the car has already been purchased - the selling dealer has been paid. You own the car. So I do not think that "refusing" to take delivery is an option. On the other hand, it means all aspects of you Warranty and your Roadside Protection are in effect. Its a bit of a stretch given that your plan was to ship the car home. But, if you had planned to drive it home, and could not because of this failure, you might have been entitled to some compensation under the trip interruption part of the roadside protection plan. Your trip was certainly altered because of the failure. So, I would ask (I do not think it is ridiculous) if they would cover something - perhaps they would pay for the delivery of the car or extra days that you stayed.

"Trip Interruption Benefits and Assistance:
If your trip is interrupted due to a
warranty event, incidental expenses may
be reimbursed within the Powertrain
warranty period. Items considered are
reasonable and customary hotel, meals,
rental car, or a vehicle being delivered
back to the customer, up to 500 miles."
Maxie2U (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 08:51 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,163 Likes on 742 Posts

Did You get an On Star Alert?

May tell you when they should have known about the issue...

Quick Reply: C8 Defective during Corvette Museum Delivery @ the NCM Bash