Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

10.6 @ 131 mph (Z07 package)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 07:12 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,001 Likes on 4,334 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Racer X
it is not a fall back, it is the truth, if you haven’t driven both, you can’t compare except by “magazine racing”. It is all I can do because I haven’t driven a C6 Z06 or a C7 Z06. What else can we do? Here is what we know, GM is using the same methods to do 0-60 and quarter mile as they did with the C7. They aren’t quoting hero times, they are average times on a good street surface corrected for weather. It is the best comparison we have. So it quicker by the best available measure, period, fact. What other 2.6 0-60 Stock Corvettes are out there? That is 10% quicker with 20 more horsepower and a couple hundred more pounds of weight versus the C7. It is quicker than the ZR1 0-60.

The C8 Z06 will be the ultimate Corvette until the next one. It has been that way since the early 80s. The mid to late 70s sucked for cars.

The good news is you have a great car, made no less great by anything that came after it. Driving my C8 didn’t make like my C5 Z06 or Elise any less fun to drive.

I get you wanted it to be even quicker. Heck you current modded car may be quicker. If so, congrats, but it doesn’t change the best published information.

Jabcat, if you haven’t ridden in a C8, PM me. We will go for a drive.
Would be interesting to see if on the same tires, same conditions, if it is actually quicker. For 99.99% of owners, it won't be, and that's where I would've liked to see the performance gap larger. Thanks for the ride offer. I have been in a C8 Stingray and it was quick, but again consider my comparison is my supercharged LS7 which is just as quick with a lot more torque that really throws you back in the seat.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:43 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 712 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Not lower torque at the wheels where it actually counts. It’s physics.

The marketplace has spoken. GM has spoken. It is not changing. You whining more is irrelevant and stupid. Give it up. Buy the Twin Turbo when it comes out. It will still be cheaper than it’s competition.

My standards aren’t lower, they are realistic. I live in the world as it is, not one that doesn’t exist. I would have liked a turbo, as well as a manual. Didn’t happen, won’t happen and it would stupid and pointless to continue whining about.
I say let the whiners whine.
It's entertaining.
Anyone who thinks a consistent 10.6 car is not responsive and quick as a street car are delusional.
The following 5 users liked this post by vrybad:
Nitro-C5 (05-14-2022), PRE-Z06 (05-14-2022), Ragtop 99 (05-14-2022), raleona (05-16-2022), Z0HS1CK (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 02:53 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,386 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Originally Posted by 2023eray
Nope. It's simply fan boi excuses. It's blatant, and pathetic.
Corvette needs a twin turbo V8 variant for those who want torque/price similar to their C7ZO6s and the current competition,
and aren't going to make pathetic excuses for a "ZO6" that makes LESS torque than a Stingray.
Facts are facts, and physics is physics no matter what you say.

Say what GM “ needs” to do 100,000 more times, it won’t change anything. Go buy that better car on the market.
The following 3 users liked this post by Racer X:
PRE-Z06 (05-14-2022), range96 (05-14-2022), smithers (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 03:13 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Fixed
Originally Posted by 2023eray
You admitted to the world, on a public forum, that you can't handle the power of a stock C7 ZO6.
How do you overcome that humiliation and think you have any room to talk about anything anymore,
let alone think you attempt to make fun of anyone else?
You're the definition of someone with delusions of grandeur.

With that said, the ZO6 is now Corvette's version of the 911 GT3.
Corvette now needs to release their version of the 911 Turbo with a twin turbo V8 ASAP.
If Porsche can sell both at the same time, at the same price point, GM needs to do the same.
I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this dialog.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:23 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Since then GM twice upped its cooling standards starting with the C8.

1) Ambient air testing was increased from 86 degrees in the C7 Z06 to 100 degrees F.

2) All C8’s are tested in those conditions with for the first time, the air conditioning fully on.
I saw this before, but forgot about the AC. With a hot condenser it will make a difference as well.

I usually don't run the AC on, on the track (windows down) and don't have any temp issues with the manual ZR1.
It was still OK with the AC on with the Spring Mountain car in hot Nevada, although with noticeable power drop.
It will be interesting to see how well the LT6 handles the heat (power wise, I'm sure it won't overheat).
Old 05-14-2022, 03:24 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,296 Likes on 2,213 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
I say let the whiners whine.
It's entertaining.
Anyone who thinks a consistent 10.6 car is not responsive and quick as a street car are delusional.
Agreed.

Nothing else can be said that will one up what we got.

Which is our awesome NA engine!

I freaking love GM!
Old 05-16-2022, 01:30 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Would be interesting to see if on the same tires, same conditions, if it is actually quicker. For 99.99% of owners, it won't be, and that's where I would've liked to see the performance gap larger. Thanks for the ride offer. I have been in a C8 Stingray and it was quick, but again consider my comparison is my supercharged LS7 which is just as quick with a lot more torque that really throws you back in the seat.
With the C8 base vs S/C LS7 you are basically getting at the core of the discussion. There is a camp in the Corvette world that desires tangible incremental and wide performance improvements going on forever when reality dictates that for 'Corvette money' we are reaching limits also, if not mostly, dictated by emission standards that require more air and less fuel entering the engine which means more RPMs and less Torque.

I remain of the opinion that if we want to be statistically 'numbers' scientific about the new Z06 versus it's predecessor the numbers are objectively marginally better and then it all comes down to the semantics of what marginal means and I can see the camp where 'marginal improvement' is not enough but again kudos to the team for really trying to pull a big one (the N/A thing) on this.
The following 3 users liked this post by Telepierre:
PRE-Z06 (05-16-2022), Ragtop 99 (05-16-2022), ZRacerLE (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:02 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
With the C8 base vs S/C LS7 you are basically getting at the core of the discussion. There is a camp in the Corvette world that desires tangible incremental and wide performance improvements going on forever when reality dictates that for 'Corvette money' we are reaching limits also, if not mostly, dictated by emission standards that require more air and less fuel entering the engine which means more RPMs and less Torque.

I remain of the opinion that if we want to be statistically 'numbers' scientific about the new Z06 versus it's predecessor the numbers are objectively marginally better and then it all comes down to the semantics of what marginal means and I can see the camp where 'marginal improvement' is not enough but again kudos to the team for really trying to pull a big one (the N/A thing) on this.
Well said, spoken like someone who lives in reality and has an understanding of it.
The following 2 users liked this post by PRE-Z06:
sidewinder77 (05-18-2022), Telepierre (05-17-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:18 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,001 Likes on 4,334 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Telepierre

I don't disagree with this at all. On paper if x-vehicle is claimed to be 10.6 (in this instance) and the previous vehicle y was claimed to be 10.9, 8 years ago, then everyone is right vehicle x is faster/quicker. The Stingray is claimed to do 0-60 in 2.9 sec, but how many owners in the real world achieve that time? Very few. Same thing with the Z06 and it's reported 2.6 time. If all I cared about were these performance metrics (0-60, 1/4 mi, we haven't seen lap times yet), why would I spend the extra ~$25k+ for the Z06 that is really only faster on paper than the base Stingray, or previous generations? You know there is going to be youtube videos of the new Z lined up against a C8 Stingray and they're going to be dead even.

For a high-performance vehicle, I want to be "wowed" by it's performance over it's previous version, especially considering the increased cost. I'm just not "wowed" by these performance numbers compared to the base Stingray or previous gens. I couldn't care less about all the added gizmos, 27 driving modes, etc., etc., etc. Often times simpler is better. I'm also not one that has to have the newest thing simply because it's the newest thing. Like I said though, I am interested in the Z06 as I love Corvettes, but will wait a few years to see how it all shakes out.
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 05:31 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

To be perfectly Frank. I’m not some corvette or high performance car guru but any stretch bit I do like cars and have common sense. I had said 3-4 years ago that the performance level achieved in the c7 z/zr1 was already so good all around that it was going to be very hard to improve on that in any meaningful way. I knew coming from a current Gen z06/zr1 into a c8 z was going to show marginal improvements in metrics which is pretty much what we’re getting and that’s fine since we’re getting a very different feel and experience in this car vs the c7 Gen. Performance metrics side. I always knew in my personal case coming from the c 7 z06 Callaway the only real upgrade as far as sheer performance goes was going to be the zr1. That is once we found out the car was going to be na and not tt. I’m cool with that since the whole feel and experience is just tied into the most hp/tq or 0-60/14 mile. That said I do like both and is why I hopefully plan to enjoy the z and then when my turn comes up to trade it’ for the grand daddy zr1. In the end I like all nice cars and all corvettes. In fact I missed my 15 Callaway so much I have a really nice 19 z06 m7 vert on the way I just bought from a forum member as we speak. I will keep that bad boy along side the c8 z when my number comes up next year. I want the best of both worlds.
The following 3 users liked this post by Savoy2001:
JABCAT (05-17-2022), SharkDiverZ06 (05-17-2022), Telepierre (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 03:42 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,738 Likes on 1,405 Posts

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
To be perfectly Frank. I’m not some corvette or high performance car guru but any stretch bit I do like cars and have common sense. I had said 3-4 years ago that the performance level achieved in the c7 z/zr1 was already so good all around that it was going to be very hard to improve on that in any meaningful way. I knew coming from a current Gen z06/zr1 into a c8 z was going to show marginal improvements in metrics which is pretty much what we’re getting and that’s fine since we’re getting a very different feel and experience in this car vs the c7 Gen. Performance metrics side. I always knew in my personal case coming from the c 7 z06 Callaway the only real upgrade as far as sheer performance goes was going to be the zr1. That is once we found out the car was going to be na and not tt. I’m cool with that since the whole feel and experience is just tied into the most hp/tq or 0-60/14 mile. That said I do like both and is why I hopefully plan to enjoy the z and then when my turn comes up to trade it’ for the grand daddy zr1. In the end I like all nice cars and all corvettes. In fact I missed my 15 Callaway so much I have a really nice 19 z06 m7 vert on the way I just bought from a forum member as we speak. I will keep that bad boy along side the c8 z when my number comes up next year. I want the best of both worlds.
Congrats! Did you sell your Shelby?
Old 05-17-2022, 08:47 PM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkDiverZ06
Congrats! Did you sell your Shelby?
Yes in the process. Let’s just say I am getting way more than I paid for it. 😁 Btw the gt500 was and is freaking fantastic. Nothing but good things to say about that car. Only thing is I missed my z06. 😎 so now I’ll have two eventually.

The car is really cool. Turned a lot of heads. I put 3200 miles on it and had it just a year this month.
The following users liked this post:
SharkDiverZ06 (05-18-2022)

Quick Reply: 10.6 @ 131 mph (Z07 package)