Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

C8 Z06 vs C7 ZR1 High Speed Acceleration Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 03:37 PM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

With an 8 speed transmission it would have been nice to setup the car for top speed at ~redline in 6th and adjust the lower gears accordingly.

Instead it looks like top speed is pretty much redline in 5th, which makes 5th pretty tall.

The GT350 also has top speed at redline in 5th (180 MPH). This makes sense since it’s a 6 speed, but that choice does make the lower gears a bit tall as well, especially for the street where you basically get one redline shift.

I don’t necessarily agree that the current gearing is a problem, or that acceleration will be a disaster, but with all the extra gears available, IMO there would be some improvements with a different set of ratios.

-T
The following 2 users liked this post by Trackaholic:
555ctsv (06-03-2022), ArmchairArchitect (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 03:45 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
If I am GM, I will build one transmission that will be good for 495 hp Stingray as well as 1000 hp Zora. That’s the issue with keeping costs down. Z06 in the middle of the pecking order and unfortunately has to reuse the same transmission.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:53 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,248 Likes on 6,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Iker
It doesn’t make any sense
C8Z vs Stingray
https://youtube.com/shorts/NDXumQkMFTY?feature=share
If they have the same 5th gear, but with a slightly different final drive ratio it makes sense. They're going the same speed w/ the stingray a few hundred RPMs lower in the gear.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:54 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JockItch
I don’t think this tranny is torque rated for those applications.
Most likely is not. Turns out the Corvette team had to bespoke the C8 base tranny to make it work for the Z06 as well. As per above statement.

Last edited by Telepierre; 06-03-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:59 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,039 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Iker
It doesn’t make any sense
C8Z vs Stingray
https://youtube.com/shorts/NDXumQkMFTY?feature=share
Again, there is nothing to take away below 140 MPH (and maybe even closer to 145) from the Z06 video, as the car should be in 4th gear then, so this is an oranges to can of stones comparison.

Edit: Should add the C8 Stingray redlines in 4th gear at about 122 MPH/116 MPH(Z51) so it will be in 5th at 130, but the Z06 would be in 4th, which it is not.

Last edited by z28lt1; 06-03-2022 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 06:39 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

I dont see any reason to do these gear ratios other than for the reason I highlighted before that higher hp variants need those tall gears to utilize and reach very speeds. I’m thinking GM will be able to hit 225 mph with 1,000 hp Zora and claim 0-60 times of very low 2s, below 10s 1/4 mile and trap higher than cars like 765lt.

The whole mpg argument is moot when you have 8 gears. The cost of producing different gear sets is very high for a car at this price point. As they have been working on FPC 5.5 liter for 8 years. They have been working on the ZR1 and Zora. Its foolish the assume they havent factored in cost into all these variants. There is no way to pull of $89k mid engine car and not cut costs somewhere.
Z0HS1CK (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 08:47 PM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

If it keeps the cost down, I can understand it. I really have no idea what a different gear would cost, I thought it wouldn't be much but apparently it is. Bring on that $88,900 msrp!
Old 06-03-2022, 09:53 PM
AustinVetter
Drifting

Received 2,669 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I don't understand how an entire design team dedicated to producing America's finest achievement in sports car engineering could drop the ball so badly with something so simple as transmission gearing. Corvettes had 3 and 4 gears for decades, now there are EIGHT. But those 8 are not used. Boggles the mind. Disappointed but still excited at all the other goodness the car will bring.
The following 3 users liked this post by AustinVetter:
555ctsv (06-03-2022), Michael A (06-03-2022), vrybad (06-04-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 11:27 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
I don't see the GT3 on this list. It has a 7-speed.

Last edited by Michael A; 06-04-2022 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:11 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael A
I don't see the GT3 on this list. It has a 7-speed.
GT3 has a modded PDK just like the C8 Z06 has a modded DCT.

As the various 911 PDK specs I posted clearly show. The point of my post is to invalidate UE false claims that the Porsche 911 line of cars EACH receive a bespoke tailored transmission. Indeed they are as series as anybody else's
Skeptical (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 02:20 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I dont see any reason to do these gear ratios other than for the reason I highlighted before that higher hp variants need those tall gears to utilize and reach very speeds. I’m thinking GM will be able to hit 225 mph with 1,000 hp Zora and claim 0-60 times of very low 2s, below 10s 1/4 mile and trap higher than cars like 765lt.

The whole mpg argument is moot when you have 8 gears. The cost of producing different gear sets is very high for a car at this price point. As they have been working on FPC 5.5 liter for 8 years. They have been working on the ZR1 and Zora. Its foolish the assume they havent factored in cost into all these variants. There is no way to pull of $89k mid engine car and not cut costs somewhere.
The all premise to this post is a fallacy. It betrays a gross mis understanding of how volume OEM parts procurement works.
It is obvious that the cost of R&D and tooling a new bespoke DCT for the corvette has been a very costly endeavor based on the additional power and torque the DCT delivers vis a vis the competition.
These high costs are not absorbed by cost cutting. The high costs are absorbed and spread by volume. Volume is the name of the game to turn a 500K car into a 90K car.

Old 06-04-2022, 02:20 AM
Skeptical
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

You can compare lap times at VIR during Lightning Lap events through the years here: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/

A few years back a Grand Sport C7 with a Manual was .1 of a second behind a Porsche GT3 that had PDK.

I think some of your fears may be misplaced considering that Grand Sport had aero, 40 less HP, and a slower shifting transmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skeptical:
Fr333zy (06-13-2022), Torque Obsessed (06-05-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 03:40 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Hoping this "unofficial" news on times at VIR becomes "official" or at least confirmed but another source at some point, because that is great news.

As far as the manual and shift points go, please keep in mind that is the maximum speed you can downshift in. That doesn't necessarily mean the redline of the below gear. It may be, but it also maybe that GM is giving you a few hundred RPM or so on the downshift so you don't instantly bang the limiter. You can't downshift to 4th above 140, but the limiter might actually put us a few MPH above that -- not that the few extra MPH/RPM is going to change this discussion much.
I actually took notice of the points you made about MPH stretching so I relooked once again at that Z06 4th gear run and it shows a full throttle release at 137MPH at 8300. I can see this 4th able to stretch comfortably past 140 MPH.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:07 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,248 Likes on 6,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeptical
You can compare lap times at VIR during Lightning Lap events through the years here: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/

A few years back a Grand Sport C7 with a Manual was .1 of a second behind a Porsche GT3 that had PDK.

I think some of your fears may be misplaced considering that Grand Sport had aero, 40 less HP, and a slower shifting transmission.
Nobody who races at VIR cares about grand course. The 1:52 Bob is referring to is Full.

I actually took notice of the points you made about MPH stretching so I relooked once again at that Z06 4th gear run and it shows a full throttle release at 137MPH at 8300. I can see this 4th able to stretch comfortably past 140 MPH.
So? This car will push 20+ past that VIR easily.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:07 AM
Skeptical
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Nobody who races at VIR cares about grand course. The 1:52 Bob is referring to is Full.
You skipped right past the point in your desire to reply...

Some in this comment thread think the corvette will be slow and the sky is falling, they'll be beat to work by someone in a Porsche because their shiny new ZO6 can't accelerate to 160mph as fast, etc... So I showed an example of a Corvette monstering a GT3 that it had no business coming within one tenth of a second of with Aero, less hp, and a manual (slower) transmission only to be summarily dismissed for... what reason?
Old 06-04-2022, 04:02 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

You can do the math. You are not getting much past 140 if at all in 4th.
Old 06-04-2022, 04:07 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

As the various 911 PDK specs I posted clearly show. The point of my post is to invalidate UE false claims that the Porsche 911 line of cars EACH receive a bespoke tailored transmission. Indeed they are as series as anybody else's
I wouldn't say it is "just like". The GT3 has one less gear. That's a pretty major mod.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Z06 vs C7 ZR1 High Speed Acceleration Analysis

Old 06-04-2022, 04:32 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Telepierre, sometimes you come across as a smart guy and sometimes I feel like you are the type of person who just wants to twist the truth and believe one version (your version). You have misrepresented what I said. You KNOW my intention was to highlight Porsche’s GT cars receive BESPOKE transmissions versus their regular counterparts. I also implied BESPOKE means different gear sets. Not just clutch paks. GT3/RS have a bespoke gear set. This gear set is different than GT4 and in fact I believe GT4RS has also a different gear set than GT4 and GT3. The manual transmission found in GT3 is different than GT4. And GT3’s manual cant be found in GTS either.

To my knowledge:

GT3/RS : different gear set and clutches
GT4: different gear set
GT4RS : different gear set and clutches
Turbo S/GTS/Base : different gear set
Turbo S : SHARES the gear set as the GTS and base but has a different clutch pack

And of all the arguments we have here, your point is valid only about Turbo/GTS/Base sharing the gear set. But you have missed the entire point that these GT cars get SPECIAL TREATMENT which Corvette’s Z classes dont get AS MUCH. My ZR1 shares the same M7 as Z06 which is same as Stingray. This is a compromise. How can you have a 755 hp/715 ft lbs car share the transmission gear ratios as a 495 hp stingray? How does this make sense?

It makes sense because it costs a ton of money to research, develop, assemble, and warranty these bespoke transmission. Changing clutches or the oil pan is not in the same realm of cost and complexity as gear ratios. The only reason GM is doing this with Z06 is because they need a transmission that will work with a 1000 hp car.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:42 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Telepierre, sometimes you come across as a smart guy and sometimes I feel like you are the type of person who just wants to twist the truth and believe one version (your version). You have misrepresented what I said. You KNOW my intention was to highlight Porsche’s GT cars receive BESPOKE transmissions versus their regular counterparts. I also implied BESPOKE means different gear sets. Not just clutch paks. GT3/RS have a bespoke gear set. This gear set is different than GT4 and in fact I believe GT4RS has also a different gear set than GT4 and GT3. The manual transmission found in GT3 is different than GT4. And GT3’s manual cant be found in GTS either.

To my knowledge:

GT3/RS : different gear set and clutches
GT4: different gear set
GT4RS : different gear set and clutches
Turbo S/GTS/Base : different gear set
Turbo S : SHARES the gear set as the GTS and base but has a different clutch pack

And of all the arguments we have here, your point is valid only about Turbo/GTS/Base sharing the gear set. But you have missed the entire point that these GT cars get SPECIAL TREATMENT which Corvette’s Z classes dont get AS MUCH. My ZR1 shares the same M7 as Z06 which is same as Stingray. This is a compromise. How can you have a 755 hp/715 ft lbs car share the transmission gear ratios as a 495 hp stingray? How does this make sense?

It makes sense because it costs a ton of money to research, develop, assemble, and warranty these bespoke transmission. Changing clutches or the oil pan is not in the same realm of cost and complexity as gear ratios. The only reason GM is doing this with Z06 is because they need a transmission that will work with a 1000 hp car.
UnhandledException,

You are so eloquent yet lack the basic (and I mean BASIC) understandings of automotive dynamics.
It could be your car skills are so deficient you really don't understand what you are posting try to leverage your wordsmithing to get out of trouble.
There is absolutely nothing you can write to get out of your last PDK bespoke whooper. In fact (confession) I did not read any of it.

Nonetheless, you go ahead and tune in to the LeMans racing this weekend and try to make another useless thread on how really slow the LT6 is over there.

Finally, on behalf of the Corvette Forum a hearfelt thank you for all your work to bring a new and younger cadre to the Corvette fold.

ZRacerLE (06-06-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 11:58 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

UnhandledException,

You are so eloquent yet lack the basic (and I mean BASIC) understandings of automotive dynamics.
It could be your car skills are so deficient you really don't understand what you are posting try to leverage your wordsmithing to get out of trouble.
There is absolutely nothing you can write to get out of your last PDK bespoke whooper. In fact (confession) I did not read any of it.

Nonetheless, you go ahead and tune in to the LeMans racing this weekend and try to make another useless thread on how really slow the LT6 is over there.

Finally, on behalf of the Corvette Forum a hearfelt thank you for all your work to bring a new and younger cadre to the Corvette fold.
Porsche GT cars get bespoke transmissions optimized for their power band (power band is the keyword). Z cars in Corvette line up dont. Word smith it any way you can/want. Everyone knows what that statement means.

Quick Reply: C8 Z06 vs C7 ZR1 High Speed Acceleration Analysis