Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Mega merge reviews C8Z and Vs everything

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 11:06 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
If your car is pulling timing in 30 degree weather, there’s something wrong with the car🙄
Absolutely. Mine pulls like a freight train in cool weather, hard to keep the tires from spinning anywhere below 70 mph. It dynoed real high, afraid to tell you how much because people would start an argument about it. Stock with RVK.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:06 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Joefab;[url=tel:1605683555
1605683555[/url]]The most miserable hard riding odd ball car with terrible speed and reliability was my 1984 Corvette Z51. Electrical gremlins and crossfire injection. Porsche cars as do modern Corvette cars run and handle great and dont beat you up. That being said ...............the GT4RS and certainly the 992 GT3RS with massive downforce and double springs .............should ride like an OLD BUCK board and I might need a spinal fusion and oxycodon to deal with it. You have to have hard springs to maintain ride height with 20" super hard sidewall rubber bands for tires on the GT3RS. The GT4RS should ride like my damn Skid Loader too. What the hell have I done.

Hot Damn the brand new C8Z06 midengined Z07 supercar ............has the same hardcore racing suspension springs and even gummier CUP2 R tires . YOU CAN NOT get CUP2 R race/qualifying tires from any USA Porsche store. Whats wrong with Chevy & Porsche have they gone MAD. Im trading all my stuff in for a logical thoughtful intelligent car.............ACURA NSX Twin Turbo hybrid or an McLaren Arturo hybrid.

CHRIS HARRIS is the only man that needs to review the C8Z06 and all cars. Hes brilliant. God Save the KING>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szTvzBzfKJ8
i don’t understand a word you just said. The P cars are firm but they don’t ride like a lowered Honda on bumpstops
Old 09-17-2022, 01:44 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Absolutely. Mine pulls like a freight train in cool weather, hard to keep the tires from spinning anywhere below 70 mph. It dynoed real high, afraid to tell you how much because people would start an argument about it. Stock with RVK.
Mine also does everything you said. Traction control kicks in with winter tires on in 4th gear. But nevertheless the ignition timing is what it is. My car doesnt feel slow at all. It just is arguably slower, by a decent amount, than a 911 Turbo S. I drove them both back to back. From a dig, from a rolling at 50,60,80 mph. Turbo just pulls and pulls away.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:49 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by uhohspaghettio
I didn't understand the appeal for Porsche until I drove a Turbo S, it was a 2014 mind you. Possibly the most perfect sports car I've ever driven. It "only" had 560hp, but it delivered it so menancingly
It’s acceleration was on par with a C6Z06, have you ever driven one of those on a sticky tire?
Old 09-17-2022, 02:18 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Yes, I do know that. Car and Driver estimated that the car (911 Turbo S) would be 2-3 seconds faster on track rubber.
Lightning Lap 2021: The Hottest Cars on America's Toughest Track (caranddriver.com)
No doubt if the 992 turbo S had the 992 GT3 cup2R tires as they’re the same size it’d be as fast, but their marketing wouldn’t allow it for some reason.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:07 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 711 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
It’s acceleration was on par with a C6Z06, have you ever driven one of those on a sticky tire?
I think the biggest difference in how they feel is that the PDK really puts you back in your seat and keeps you there.
Unless one truly powershifts a C6Z it's a different experience.
The first time I put my car down the track all stock it felt way quicker than any stick car I ever had, even my C5 TTZ with 560/570 at the tires.
Ran 11.16/125 on stock PZeros at factory 48psi spinning, forgot to lower them, should have been a high 10.
From a 60-130 perspective it wasn't quicker but it felt it.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:40 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by vrybad
I think the biggest difference in how they feel is that the PDK really puts you back in your seat and keeps you there.
Unless one truly powershifts a C6Z it's a different experience.
The first time I put my car down the track all stock it felt way quicker than any stick car I ever had, even my C5 TTZ with 560/570 at the tires.
Ran 11.16/125 on stock PZeros at factory 48psi spinning, forgot to lower them, should have been a high 10.
From a 60-130 perspective it wasn't quicker but it felt it.
No doubt the awd makes the most of all the ponies and the PDK keeps things on boil. My assumption is the 911 turbo isn’t allowed the sticky tires as it’d step on GT3 track numbers, but the turbo also doesn’t have the same cooling as GT2 so not sure how well it’d hold up temp wise with track tires as it’s heavier as well.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:49 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

No doubt the awd makes the most of all the ponies and the PDK keeps things on boil. My assumption is the 911 turbo isn’t allowed the sticky tires as it’d step on GT3 track numbers, but the turbo also doesn’t have the same cooling as GT2 so not sure how well it’d hold up temp wise with track tires as it’s heavier as well.
GT2RS has a one gallon water injection system and the one gallon goes quick... Once that water is gone so are the 690 ponies.
The following users liked this post:
PRE-Z06 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 04:09 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
GT2RS has a one gallon water injection system and the one gallon goes quick... Once that water is gone so are the 690 ponies.
long enough to complete a lap of the Nurburgring? 😉
The following 2 users liked this post by bcmarly:
PRE-Z06 (09-18-2022), Telepierre (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 04:16 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmarly
long enough to complete a lap of the Nurburgring? 😉
one trick pony
I am actually quoting someone that knows... ​​​​​​​
Old 09-17-2022, 04:16 PM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Received 725 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
i don’t understand a word you just said. The P cars are firm but they don’t ride like a lowered Honda on bumpstops
was being sarcastic
all these modern sports cars with 20" 21" and 22" tires
high downforce high horsepower and big brakes are not going to ride super subtle

for me I don't want a smooth insulated lousy Buick reatta , caddy Alante, softie nsx , or refined Jaguar

give me pain and suffering as it's a hard core Sportscar I want
tight fit carbon seats
Proven Race technology
noisy exotic sports car sound
Rare not every idiot has one
fast and I mean racecourse dynamic fast
high Gs
big brakes
reliable strong as bull
collectible

A car that stimulates the Senses and always keeps the interest up doesn't fade

C8Zo6 offers that as does 992 GT3 , Gt4rs and certainly the evil rotten 992 GT3rs

in 3 weeks or so a certain car will post a sub 7'min 40 sec time

you corvette guys want a super fast reliable Swiss Army knife of a Sportscar does everything l listed

I know what you need and want
the search is very very narrow and simple

it's what I do it's all I do

Last edited by Joefab; 09-17-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:05 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

991 and 992 Turbo S can run all day long with PSC2's on track with zero issues. I run with them regularly.
The following 2 users liked this post by descartesfool:
Joefab (09-17-2022), PRE-Z06 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 06:31 PM
zdave83
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Joefab
was being sarcastic
all these modern sports cars with 20" 21" and 22" tires
high downforce high horsepower and big brakes are not going to ride super subtle

for me I don't want a smooth insulated lousy Buick reatta , caddy Alante, softie nsx , or refined Jaguar

give me pain and suffering as it's a hard core Sportscar I want
tight fit carbon seats
Proven Race technology
high Gs
big brakes
reliable strong as bull
collectible

C8Zo6 offers that as does 992 GT3 , Gt4rs and certainly the evil rotten 992 GT3rs

in 3 weeks or so a certain car will post a sub 7'min 40 sec time

you corvette guys want a super fast reliable Swiss Army knife of a Sportscar does everything l listed

I know what you need and want
the search is very very narrow and simple

it's what I do it's all I do
Let's see ......

.. give me pain and suffering as it's a hard core Sportscar I want
.. tight fit carbon seats
Proven Race technology
high Gs
big brakes
reliable strong as bull
.. collectible

LOL
Old 09-17-2022, 11:53 PM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Received 725 Likes on 331 Posts

The Swiss Army knife of ultimate reliable speed under all conditions, is a late model Porsche 991 Twin Turbo and 992 TT. A simple ECU tune a set of HJS German race cats 90% to 93% flow of a straight pipe , and free flow exhaust you add big big power to an all wheel drive proven platform.

Want another 100ftlb+ Send turbos to tialsport, big intercoolers , meth E85 gets you close to a 1000 and in the 8sec range. Reliable German power to all 4 wheels .

here’s a blast from the past sponsored by fabspeed. Rear wheel manual transmission ……..evil dangerously fast. Hard to drive 6 speed . Put everything away years ago. Now somewhat obsolete given modern all wheel drive, PDK, launch control and stability management . You think you’re fast till you see a plain Jane white porsche .

smokin twin turbo lambos, vipers twin turbos ……send em all home!

Last edited by Joefab; 09-18-2022 at 04:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joefab:
416vette (09-19-2022), PRE-Z06 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 08:12 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by descartesfool
991 and 992 Turbo S can run all day long with PSC2's on track with zero issues. I run with them regularly.
Thanks for sharing, I don’t see many at the track driven hard. What are oil and coolant temps coming off after a 20+ minute session in 90+ degree temps?
Old 09-18-2022, 08:41 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 711 Likes on 392 Posts

^ While I personally can't answer your specific question, just doing a quick Rennlist check it seems most find the Turbo S to be pretty solid and capable for track sessions.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:16 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by vrybad
^ While I personally can't answer your specific question, just doing a quick Rennlist check it seems most find the Turbo S to be pretty solid and capable for track sessions.
Better than a stock C7Z06 you’re saying?

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge reviews C8Z and Vs everything

Old 09-20-2022, 06:41 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
Give GM a development budget to create a 300k Z06x… I’d love to see that comparison.

C8R would fare well at the same price point. Make it with an unrestricted engine, and let it eat. Lighter, stiffer, better tranny

You wouldn't want it on the street. Give me the extra cash from the pooch and I'll soon show you c8 tailights. Turbo and blower kits are out there

for 30k worth of mods you can bump to 900 hp and lots more torq on the base car. This will come soon enough for the c8 z06 as well as it's the same ecm architecture

or wait for gm to do it. It will still come in under the pooch price point. It's flattering but unrealistic to compare cars at such a wide price point gap

If the pooch isn't WAY better, it d@mn well should be!! 400k?? get real. Not exactly a bargain sports car like the vette folks want to compare it to.

I was hanging with the track rats and learning about the GT3s The gent was selling his with relatively few miles. He could get more for it, and with the CF brakes needing replacement, it was the smart thing to do.

I never thought of selling my vette as more cost effective than fixing the brakes! But then his brakes cost more than my vette!!
Old 09-20-2022, 07:34 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
I don't think you are correct. The Porsche GT3rs is street legal...the Corvette GT3r is not. I was specifically notated that if GM wanted to build a race car that you could drive on the road (legally). This is what Porsche had done.

Could GM take that GT3r and make some mods so you could also drive on the street? Of course they COULD...the question is will they and/or should they.
The thing is that Chevrolet already did this experiment with the 5th Generation Camaro. When they built the Z/28 with the LS7. It was pretty much a street legal race car that you had to opt for a radio and A/C. Granted, different platform than the Corvette as well as a little different performance demographic. The end result was it was a total flop at the dealerships. So, I could see GM being a little gun shy on a race car package.

They could create an option package that could be special order. I think their concern with that would be the economy of scale in terms of production cost. There is a lot more to a race car than just aero and lighter seats. Now, I guess they could pull the Dodge thing. Dodge is offering the Challenger in a convertible by having your car shipped directly to Drop Top Customs in Fl for the conversion. I suppose that GM could offer a package through a third party like Pratt and Miller or Katech. Or, GM could take another tip from Dodge's Direct Connection, and offer track packages that would be dealer installed and covered under warranty.

But, at the end of the day, 90% of the people that buy these "special" cars like the GT3rs, or the Z06, or whatever 'track' variant, will never, and probably shouldn't ever try the baseline version of these cars at anywhere near its performance limit. These folks are just buying the badge to show and shine and will probably never see triple digit speeds. lol
The following 2 users liked this post by lt4obsesses:
jimmyb (09-20-2022), vettesweetnos (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 10:10 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,249 Likes on 2,023 Posts

^^^
100% correct.
The internet just LOVES to talk about what the car makers SHOULD DO. And then, when they (the car makers) DO what they are told (like the Camaro Z/28), the car EVERYONE wanted sits there and gathers dust.
If you just read this forum, you'd think half the Corvette owners track their cars. Tadge says it's 5% (and I think that is optimistic)

The world is littered with the bones of cars that the internet HAD TO HAVE (Viper for one)

Last edited by jimmyb; 09-20-2022 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Mega merge reviews C8Z and Vs everything