Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Speed Phenom video "MY $20,000 CARBON FIBER WHEELS ARE CRACKED"

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 07:50 PM
LuckyCharmsYo
Pro

Received 1,154 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Ok I will add a little balance to the discussion.
I have had great experiences at 4 different Chevy service departments over the last 30 years with my Corvettes.

Each time I roll in with a Vette I am always treated special like I was driving their flagship.
There have even been times when I was technically out of warranty but had a few things covered regardless.
I built relationships with the service managers and the parts department. I haven't had any crazy issues.

That being said there is a learning curve. Carbon Fiber 21x13 low profile wheels are not for rookies to replace. At your Chevy dealer or anywhere else.
Some may say its not leading edge technology but by the numbers they are rare and not many have experience with them.
I wouldn't ask the Chevy Dealer to change the tires or wheels on a new Z06.
I wouldn't ask the tire store to change the oil in my Z06 either, even though they advertise the ability to do oil changes.
Certain things should be left to the experts in the field. Changing tires and wheels on a modern sports car is one of those things.
Like it or not the Dealer is not normally THE expert on low profile+wide tire installations.

JMHO.
I might not expect some random Joe to do it, but Corvette techs at Chevy dealerships absolutely should be able to do it. That's the point of them - to service the Corvette. And the Z06 is still a Corvette.

GM and Chevrolet don't get a pass on their **** service centers just because they jacked up the price of the Z06 and gave it high priced options. All the more reason they should be properly taking care of customers. Austin said in the video in the OP and his new one he put out today that he can't find a single Chevrolet dealer to change his tires now. They just won't do it. None of them. That's not an acceptable ownership experience. If I buy a GT3 or a Mclaren or an AMG GT, I know for certain I could take it to a Porsche/Mclaren/Mercedes dealer and be taken care of without issue.
The following 10 users liked this post by LuckyCharmsYo:
64drvr (05-02-2023), ATC399 (05-03-2023), boxerman (05-02-2023), JABCAT (05-03-2023), JockItch (05-02-2023), KnightmareLS1 (05-07-2023), okaythen (05-03-2023), Savoy2001 (05-03-2023), Shokosugi (05-02-2023), thebishman (05-03-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-02-2023, 07:58 PM
dgoldenz
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 209 Posts

$200k car with $20k service. Sounds about right. Same old Chevy!

If there’s seriously not a single dealer near him willing to change the tires that is an epic fail on GM’s part. I’d be royally pissed.
The following users liked this post:
KnightmareLS1 (05-07-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 08:37 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Was the damage other than to where they were clamping the center down? I was confused about the title saying it was cracked and expected something structural.

I tried to watch the video but didn’t have 30 minutes to sit through dramatic music and video of him sitting in his car talking to the camera.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
CPhelps (05-04-2023), PRE-Z06 (05-03-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 08:43 PM
ChiTownVetteTech
Instructor

Received 242 Likes on 103 Posts

And what would everyone think when a qualified tech/dealer charged $150-200 each for a tire change?
The fact is the only volume manufacturer that has used CF rims is Ferrari. That’s pretty much what you’d pay there.
And on a final note you’re all correct, GM has basically given us no info on these. Basically had a short video that said be careful they’re expensive 😳. GM has never come through and told my dealer your tire machine isn’t the recommended one. Same reason why the majority of GM dealer shops are dumps. GM made the dealers put up the walls to block us from view, but never forced a remodel or upgrade. It’s unfortunate that now it a glaring issue when I’m servicing 100k+ vehicles. But boy if the paint is the wrong color in the showroom, GM will be all over that.
boxerman (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 08:43 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,065 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Was the damage other than to where they were clamping the center down? I was confused about the title saying it was cracked and expected something structural.

I tried to watch the video but didn’t have 30 minutes to sit through dramatic music and video of him sitting in his car talking to the camera.
The cracked part was just clickbait.
The following 3 users liked this post by smithers:
CPhelps (05-04-2023), Poor-sha (05-03-2023), vettesweetnos (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 07:22 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,002 Likes on 4,334 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
$200k car with $20k service. Sounds about right. Same old Chevy!

If there’s seriously not a single dealer near him willing to change the tires that is an epic fail on GM’s part. I’d be royally pissed.
If he can't get the tires changed that means he can't track the car. If he can't track the car, he can't make videos. If he can't make videos with the car, he can't make $ with the car and it's worthless to him. I see the car going up for sale in the near future which would be a hit to GM because nobody else is doing what he's doing with the car publicly.
2006m5 (05-07-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 07:44 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,874 Likes on 1,169 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by JABCAT
If he can't make videos with the car, he can't make $ with the car and it's worthless to him. I see the car going up for sale in the near future which would be a hit to GM because nobody else is doing what he's doing with the car publicly.
That's probably over-stating things a bit. He can just get a set of normal wheels and put the Cups on those.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:21 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,348 Likes on 1,994 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
it sounds like Chevy gave him free replacement CF wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gvw_92625Y

Does this rear wing remind you or some other rear wing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gvw_92625Y#t=9m12s
Glad he’s exposing the warts of Chevy dealerships and the Z06 ownership experience. Getting denied service due to either dealer incompetence or a lack of communication and instruction from GM (both to the dealers and the customer) is unacceptable… especially for a $160k+ car.

The sooner Corvette becomes it’s own brand the better.
The following 5 users liked this post by JockItch:
curvesman (05-03-2023), GM Bureaucrat (05-03-2023), KnightmareLS1 (05-07-2023), thebishman (05-03-2023), ZRacerLE (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 08:23 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 642 Likes on 360 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by jvp
That's probably over-stating things a bit. He can just get a set of normal wheels and put the Cups on those.
yes, he can do that, but he bought the car with the CF wheels to take advantage of their lower weight. Seems like GM can’t deliver on after sales service which should be a reasonable expectation. At some point other owners with CF wheels will be needing new tires, are they supposed to go to other wheels and stick their CF wheels on a shelf? Your comment is uncharacteristic for you, sounds more like a GM/Chevy corporate answer which will cause many forum members to shake their heads.
The following 6 users liked this post by firstgear:
ATC399 (05-03-2023), GM Bureaucrat (05-03-2023), JockItch (05-03-2023), KnightmareLS1 (05-07-2023), RJ-92 (05-03-2023), SouthernSon (05-03-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-03-2023, 10:08 AM
Budarooski
Burning Brakes

Received 699 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Total click-bait. He should be forced walk barefoot around a dark room full of legos as punishment!

If he can't get the tires changed that means he can't track the car. If he can't track the car, he can't make videos. If he can't make videos with the car, he can't make $ with the car and it's worthless to him. I see the car going up for sale in the near future which would be a hit to GM because nobody else is doing what he's doing with the car publicly.
I bet GM would appreciate him NOT making these videos because he exposes their weaknesses. But on the other hand, how many Z07 owners are really going to track their car? I see most of these going into the 3rd garage bay and driven to Cars and Coffee events.

Originally Posted by JockItch
Glad he’s exposing the warts of Chevy dealerships and the Z06 ownership experience. Getting denied service due to either dealer incompetence or a lack of communication and instruction from GM (both to the dealers and the customer) is unacceptable… especially for a $160k+ car.

The sooner Corvette becomes it’s its own brand the better.
If they want to compete on the supercar level, then they need to offer supercar service, which you will NOT get at any Chevy dealer.
The following 4 users liked this post by Budarooski:
carriccp (05-06-2023), JABCAT (05-03-2023), JockItch (05-03-2023), vettesweetnos (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 10:13 AM
vettesweetnos
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 578 Posts

Content has went down hill fast. Plus ad revenue is way down because the economy is trash. His wheels weren't unusable for track duty, and they aren't $20k either. Damn near half that. Do you want show car and cars and coffee wheels or do you want to track the car? I would throw different wheels on to track but that's me.

Youtube car content lately besides savage geese be like CLICK HERE ---------> MY $$60K INTERIOR CAUGHT FIRE <--------------------CLICK HERE you watch it and no fire barely a spark happened. Thumbs them down or stop watching them. Exaggerate wildly and or lie lol.
PRE-Z06 (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 10:28 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Obviously GM is well aware, and have been for years, that the level of service one receives from chevy dealers is terribly lacking in, not only service, but products and training to do even the most rudimentary level of maintenance. Does anyone think they really care? Let's not even get started on the other problems with their other wheels.
thebishman (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 10:31 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by firstgear
yes, he can do that, but he bought the car with the CF wheels to take advantage of their lower weight. Seems like GM can’t deliver on after sales service which should be a reasonable expectation. At some point other owners with CF wheels will be needing new tires, are they supposed to go to other wheels and stick their CF wheels on a shelf? Your comment is uncharacteristic for you, sounds more like a GM/Chevy corporate answer which will cause many forum members to shake their heads.
Easy there. I was answering JABCAT's specific point about Austin "not being able to make money with his car at the track". Which is not true; he can continue to make money with this car at the track, just by using a different set of wheels.

I have no bones about people not buying the CF wheels. Were I ordering a Z06, the CF wheels would be the last thing I'd check. In fact you couldn't pay me enough to take them. No way in hell. I don't care who makes them or what car they're on: CF wheels are a bad idea. They're way too brittle. And way too damned expensive to replace when you break one. And you will break one. If not several of them.

Last edited by jvp; 05-03-2023 at 10:43 AM. Reason: fixed typo
The following 4 users liked this post by jvp:
Budarooski (05-03-2023), JABCAT (05-03-2023), vettesweetnos (05-03-2023), ZRacerLE (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 10:55 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

I might add that there are many associated with GM that have a real desire to help owners; from the engineers at the plant to the person that tries to resolve problems at customer service (some of them, anyway). But I would imagine that the ones that try to resolve the issues run up against the unwillingness of the higher offices in the bureaucracy of GM to expend time, money or labor in many cases. No matter how much one tries to smear that lipstick on the pig it always comes back to the axiom of "not what they say but what they do". I don't expect GM to change one bit, maybe even get worse. If one wants to track the car, as I have stated before, treat the showroom purchase as a basic kit car and expect to add aftermarket parts to make it suitable. Actually, in this scenario, GM is not unique in the field of automotive manufacturing but their service at dealerships is certainly a long way down the list of satisfied customer experiences.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:43 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,002 Likes on 4,334 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by jvp
Perhaps, but he's got a good relationship with McLaren and is ordering a new one I believe. Why deal with crap GM service when he can just sell the car and recoup his money.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:52 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Perhaps, but he's got a good relationship with McLaren and is ordering a new one I believe. Why deal with crap GM service when he can just sell the car and recoup his money.
He wouldn't be the first of the "big YouTubers" that got an early allocation and sold it shortly thereafter. So if he does that, good for him.
JABCAT (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 11:55 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,348 Likes on 1,994 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
He wouldn't be the first of the "big YouTubers" that got an early allocation and sold it shortly thereafter. So if he does that, good for him.

He’s already been on record that he plans to keep both the 600LT and the Z06 as he realizes these cars are likely the last of their kind. If he sells the Z06 it’ll be because of the consumable costs and bad ownership experiences like this.

Get notified of new replies

To Speed Phenom video "MY $20,000 CARBON FIBER WHEELS ARE CRACKED"

Old 05-03-2023, 12:13 PM
Budarooski
Burning Brakes

Received 699 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
He’s already been on record that he plans to keep both the 600LT and the Z06 as he realizes these cars are likely the last of their kind. If he sells the Z06 it’ll be because of the consumable costs and bad ownership experiences like this.
If it were me, I would sell the Z06 and then make a video dragging GM through the mud complaining about the horrible service and that's the only reason I sold the car. If that's how GM wants to treat their customer (telling him they will no longer service his car), then I'd be done with them. But then again, I'm a spiteful person.
JABCAT (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 12:17 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Obviously GM is well aware, and have been for years, that the level of service one receives from chevy dealers is terribly lacking in, not only service, but products and training to do even the most rudimentary level of maintenance. Does anyone think they really care? Let's not even get started on the other problems with their other wheels.
Anyone who buys a Z06, or any Corvette tbh needs to find the best independent ’race shop’ local to them, and develop a relationship with the principal(s). Then, everything except what is necessary to maintain warranty coverage you have performed at that shop. Does anyone really believe that tyre install; wheel balancing; track alignment; brake fluid replacement, etc. is going to be well taken care of at your local Chevy store when some of them probably still don’t know, or frankly give a damn that the C7 has adjustable rear caster?
It was marginally tolerable to allow the dealership to attempt certain performance related items when the Z06/7 topped out at around $110K. It isn’t when it costs up to $180K
The following 3 users liked this post by thebishman:
CPhelps (05-05-2023), JG853 (05-04-2023), SouthernSon (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 12:26 PM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I do not watch these guys, but from what I recall, the guy named Stradman did exactly that - He actually had a problem with the car, then sold it. He noted that GM did not want him to post and that there was some event that GM held with "influencers" that were redlining these C8 Z06s without normal break in. Not sure if that is true or not. But, if this guy sells then good for him. To me, in the end, is this really about GM or rather the independent dealers that are privately owned? To me, it is the latter.

All he had to do was call an exotic car dealer in LA where they have Carbon Wheels on a car - They have/could do the work. In the Midwest - We all go to Duxler Tire in Mundelein. They mounted tires on my Carbon Fiber Wheels perfectly. Thus, as others have said - Could this be click bait or whatever they call it - You decide...

Quick Reply: Speed Phenom video "MY $20,000 CARBON FIBER WHEELS ARE CRACKED"