Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

ZR1 BOMBSHELL PROOF!!! TT 5.5L LT7 it is!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 01:03 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,229 Likes on 6,028 Posts

GS or RedLS6 can someone get a picture of said "shoes"... never heard of this concept before. What are we talking about?
Old 10-31-2023, 01:44 PM
larryfdx
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyrules727
While it won't be a CPC 6.2 liter, I think the inclusion of AFM adds credibility of it being a 5.5 liter CPC design and not being a FPC design.
Originally Posted by JMB
You're right, (for some reason I still have covid brain since I'm literally just recovering this week lol), the FPC is significantly more efficient than a CPC!
You have my sincere empathy. I just tested positive yesterday and feel like I was hit by a truck!
Old 10-31-2023, 01:45 PM
PuffC8
Pro

Received 589 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by imxz28
SC Turbos ?!?!

Split Compression VNT (SC-VNT) Turbo

https://www.garrettmotion.com/turboc...argers/sc-vnt/
On the CAD of the LT7 the turbos do kinda look like split compression based on that…
Old 10-31-2023, 01:46 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by imxz28
SC Turbos ?!?!

Split Compression VNT (SC-VNT) Turbo

https://www.garrettmotion.com/turboc...argers/sc-vnt/
If split compression is being utilized, I am intrigued. I was 100% expecting a 5.5 rebirth of the LTA's 4.2L--including twin-scroll turbos.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:54 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,384 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
That would be Dynamic Skip Fire, I'm surprised they haven't adapted it to the Vette yet. It also solves a number of vibration issues by spreading the vibration power away from one frequency and around the rpm spectrum. But we'll see. Shoes are a great concept if they can implement.
Reading the description, my confusion is that the LT6 has no lifters. One would need a two piece follower arm that unlocks at the pivot point. As the are no parts I could see that have enough height to collapse to absorb cam lift.

Am I missing something?
Old 10-31-2023, 01:57 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Racer X
Reading the description, my confusion is that the LT6 has no lifters. One would need a two piece follower arm that unlocks at the pivot point. As the are no parts I could see that have enough height to collapse to absorb cam lift.

Am I missing something?
Go watch the video in the other thread... that's exactly what it is.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:27 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSport 2017
What if the head had "shoes"?
What if the "shoes" added zero reciprocating weight?
What if all 8 cylinders had "shoes" and the computer could shut down any cylinder or numbers of random cylinders at a time to keep heat more even in the engine?

hypothetically, for LT7 or the dohc cpc replacement coming to all C8?

What could go wrong with that setup?

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-31-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:07 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Go watch the video in the other thread... that's exactly what it is.
The one about why it sounds different? The Eaton thing?
Below is a picture of the valvetrain of the LT6 from this article https://www.enginelabs.com/news/gm-a...t-plane-crank/

There is no part between the cam lobe and the valve stem that has enough height to collapse so the cam will not move the valve. While there is a fulcrum for the follower, detaching the arm from the fulcrum would not stop the valve from moving. I understand the theory in other configurations, I don't understand it in this configuration without significantly changing the head configuration. Maybe that is their plan.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:26 PM
RiptideHTC
Instructor

Received 176 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfdx
You have my sincere empathy. I just tested positive yesterday and feel like I was hit by a truck!
Sorry to hear you have the COMMON FLU. Rest up, get plenty of fluids, and you'll be fine.

Glad all the BS engine rumors regarding the ZR1 motor have been dismissed.
Everyone who's been paying attention has knows this info since the CAD was leaked 5 years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by RiptideHTC:
FringbirdAloha (11-11-2023), JABCAT (11-01-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 04:50 PM
GrandSport 2017
Pro

Received 1,013 Likes on 305 Posts

The Gen6 heads coming out shortly are significantly different in several ways from the LT6 heads, even thou the LT6 is technically a Gen6 engine.
The biggest difference is the valve actuation, mainly the fulcrum point and how it operates.
All new GM V8 engines coming out from now on are going to be Gen6 with tumble not swirl. ALL swirl engines are going to be gone.
The gas trucks are getting one hell of an engine. Very few will need the Dirtymax anymore.

Id expect an info dump in the truck mags soon. Cant wait to see what Banks will do to this engine. Cant imagine an 600HP gas truck with a warranty!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by GrandSport 2017:
23/C8Z (10-31-2023), Latterlon (11-01-2023), rlhmarines (11-04-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 04:55 PM
Drew888
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

The benefit of a FPC is diminished with forced induction. FI does not rely on scavenging to increase the volumetric efficiency. Increasing the turbo count decreases lag by utilizing smaller turbos which also decreases the max engine speed. A CPC is stronger and smoother then a FPC.

When Ford developed the GT500 they used a CPC instead of the FPC from the GT350. It makes sense to use a CPC in the LT7 if it is utilizing turbo's.

I believe there could be a slight bore reduction with an increased stroke to make the 5.5L displacement relative to the LT6. There are many benefits to making these changes.

Last edited by Drew888; 10-31-2023 at 05:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PRE-Z06 (11-08-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 05:26 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Below is a picture of the valvetrain of the LT6 from this article https://www.enginelabs.com/news/gm-a...t-plane-crank/

There is no part between the cam lobe and the valve stem that has enough height to collapse so the cam will not move the valve. While there is a fulcrum for the follower, detaching the arm from the fulcrum would not stop the valve from moving. I understand the theory in other configurations, I don't understand it in this configuration without significantly changing the head configuration. Maybe that is their plan.
You didn't bother going to the thread...

https://videos.eaton.com/detail/vide...autoStart=true
Old 10-31-2023, 05:39 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,337 Likes on 1,988 Posts

That would be Dynamic Skip Fire, I'm surprised they haven't adapted it to the Vette yet. It also solves a number of vibration issues by spreading the vibration power away from one frequency and around the rpm spectrum. But we'll see. Shoes are a great concept if they can implement.

Interesting… apparently this DFM is the replacement for AFM and what we are talking about in this LT7 application?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gene...on-technology/
Old 10-31-2023, 05:43 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

Am I missing something?
I'm not convinced this system is going to be present on the ZR1, but I do think that it will be implemented on the Gen6 elsewhere.

Speaking to the Gen 6; they would need a slight redesign of the follower/head with a dual pivot. They can pivot in the middle as Eaton does or pivot around the valve tip with a head modification (low mass), as Mazda does, during deactivation. I've also seen a slider incorporated into the valve tip (non production). These systems do add a bit of mass.

The real magic in dynamic skip fire is the ability to reduce noise, vibration, and spread cylinder loading around. Let's say in testing, they need 4 cylinders active at a certain spot for the torque demand, but determine that in V4 mode, there's a bad vibration from the driveline/dct. In my overly simplified example to fix this issue, dynamic skip fire (in two crank revolutions) would fire 1 cylinder (instead of 8), then the next 2 crank revolutions would fire 2 cylinders (instead of 8), then 3 (instead of 8), then 5 (instead of 8), then 6, then 7. The average torque output (1+2+3+5+6+7)/6 is equal to 4 cylinders, but the vibration frequencies and noise are spread away from 4-cylinder mode and no longer excite the driveline resonance. If anyone's familiar with a fractional-N divider, that's how it works. It was brought to AFM in combustion engines use by a guy with a signal processing EE background, and the concept has been used in electrical dividers for a long time.
The following 2 users liked this post by RedLS6:
PRE-Z06 (11-08-2023), ZRacerLE (11-01-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 05:50 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 258 Posts

Great find and you're absolutely right, given the LT6 valvetrain (compared to the LMA 4.2L TT motor) the collapable follower is out of the question! That's why when I first posted this, John Elegant shortly thereafter on the MECF, confirmed that "from a reliable confidential source" that the AFM on the Engine Nomenclature in the Parts Catalog is an error and now I know why after seeing this! John is a straight shooter, not a YouTube "influencer" so when he says no AFM, believe it!
Old 10-31-2023, 05:56 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
You didn't bother going to the thread...

https://videos.eaton.com/detail/vide...autoStart=true
Actually, I did. That head does not have anywhere near the same configuration as the LT6 head. So as I said, it would require a significantly different configuration from the LT6 to achieve. As GrandSport2017 has said above, it appears they are doing just that.

I wonder how this will change the dimensions of the Gen VI versus LT2. Will it be wider? taller? heavier? Will the truck version have a taller deck?
Old 10-31-2023, 05:58 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
Interesting… apparently this DFM is the replacement for AFM and what we are talking about in this LT7 application?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gene...on-technology/
The key here is "hydraulic lifters"! Neither the LT6 has them nor the LT7 will have them (hydraulic follower)! How can I be so sure about the LT7? Just take a look at the pic Racer X posted above, given economies of scale, GM is not going to create a separate cylinder head for the ZR1 LT7 just so they can deactivate cylinders...they didn't so this on the LT6 and I'd bet the bank that they don't so it on the LT7! For the rest of their upcoming GEN 6 motors, yes, they would create a DOHC head like the LMA had and use the Eaton style Follower/lifters!
The following users liked this post:
JockItch (11-01-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 BOMBSHELL PROOF!!! TT 5.5L LT7 it is!!!

Old 10-31-2023, 06:03 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

I'm not convinced this system is going to be present on the ZR1, but I do think that it will be implemented on the Gen6 elsewhere.

Speaking to the Gen 6; they would need a slight redesign of the follower/head with a dual pivot. They can pivot in the middle as Eaton does or pivot around the valve tip with a head modification (low mass), as Mazda does, during deactivation. I've also seen a slider incorporated into the valve tip (non production). These systems do add a bit of mass.

The real magic in dynamic skip fire is the ability to reduce noise, vibration, and spread cylinder loading around. Let's say in testing, they need 4 cylinders active at a certain spot for the torque demand, but determine that in V4 mode, there's a bad vibration from the driveline/dct. In my overly simplified example to fix this issue, dynamic skip fire (in two crank revolutions) would fire 1 cylinder (instead of 8), then the next 2 crank revolutions would fire 2 cylinders (instead of 8), then 3 (instead of 8), then 5 (instead of 8), then 6, then 7. The average torque output (1+2+3+5+6+7)/6 is equal to 4 cylinders, but the vibration frequencies and noise are spread away from 4-cylinder mode and no longer excite the driveline resonance. If anyone's familiar with a fractional-N divider, that's how it works. It was brought to AFM in combustion engines use by a guy with a signal processing EE background, and the concept has been used in electrical dividers for a long time.
Thanks for the description. In GrandSport2017's description, he mentions a "shoe" maybe that is a cryptic reference to the slider on the valve tip? While I am sure a number of people know how it will work, I am interested in the reveal of the implementation.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:08 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JMB
Great find and you're absolutely right, given the LT6 valvetrain (compared to the LMA 4.2L TT motor) the collapable follower is out of the question! That's why when I first posted this, John Elegant shortly thereafter on the MECF, confirmed that "from a reliable confidential source" that the AFM on the Engine Nomenclature in the Parts Catalog is an error and now I know why after seeing this! John is a straight shooter, not a YouTube "influencer" so when he says no AFM, believe it!
I am sometimes better following a description of a function with a picture. That LT6 valvetrain picture, brought things into focus on how it would not work without changing the position of the cam relative to the valve stem, and other changes in the whole follower configuration. GrandSport2017 has shared more information. I look forward to all of the announcements.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:13 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew888
The benefit of a FPC is diminished with forced induction. FI does not rely on scavenging to increase the volumetric efficiency. Increasing the turbo count decreases lag by utilizing smaller turbos which also decreases the max engine speed. A CPC is stronger and smoother then a FPC.

When Ford developed the GT500 they used a CPC instead of the FPC from the GT350. It makes sense to use a CPC in the LT7 if it is utilizing turbo's.

I believe there could be a slight bore reduction with an increased stroke to make the 5.5L displacement relative to the LT6. There are many benefits to making these changes.
FI will always benefit from scavenging efficiency. Try putting a 1" diameter exhaust pipe to test this.

Since the exhaust has more to do with engine note than anything else (which is how they got the Voodoo to sound like a CPC, even though it's an odd-firing-order FPC)...so why wouldn't it make sense to just lean into that and work FPC sound out of a FI or CPC application?

P.S.
With the advent of twin-scroll turbos, you don't need to compromise on performance/lag. And small turbos have never caused a reduction in max engine speed; rather they simply are tapped out on MFR and power drops off at the same red-line.

That's why I'm curious about something more exotic than a seemingly simple twin-scroll, twin-turbo setup. No sequential turbos, no compound turbos, no variable geometry turbos. Just a vane that use the venturi effect to spool the impeller at lower rpm.

Quick Reply: ZR1 BOMBSHELL PROOF!!! TT 5.5L LT7 it is!!!