Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Received 401 Likes on 224 Posts

You might be better off removing the battery and bringing it indoors for the winter.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
start the car every 2 weeks and run it for 15 to 20 minutes.
That's a big negative

Leave the car off. Not only are you NOT gonna charge the battery at idle, you're also introducing a bunch of unnecessary condensation into the motor. Store it and forget it! Use a trickle charger.

Last edited by Jackie N; 12-09-2018 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
corrado (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:33 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Wow, that sounds excessive...even though my car won't go past 10 days without a battery tender, I have been getting about five years from my batteries for the C6. I have been buying AC Delco replacements.
I agree. My original Delco lasted 4 years, second maybe 3, then just been going thru them faster and faster now. Don't know if quality has gone down? I know the C6 is famous for parasitic drains on the battery. I got my last one on the 29th month mark of the 30 month guarantee, and gone through 3 on that single purchase. Once this new one I got goes, will be switching brands, but NOT an Optima as I am well aware they are NOT what they used to be.
The following users liked this post:
Mad*Max (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corrado
I agree. My original Delco lasted 4 years, second maybe 3, then just been going thru them faster and faster now. Don't know if quality has gone down? I know the C6 is famous for parasitic drains on the battery. I got my last one on the 29th month mark of the 30 month guarantee, and gone through 3 on that single purchase. Once this new one I got goes, will be switching brands, but NOT an Optima as I am well aware they are NOT what they used to be.
Did you use a battery tender? Might be worth the $50-100 investment. I bought a new battery yesterday and have a CTEK charger on the way from Amazon.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:22 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie N
That's a big negative

Leave the car off. Not only are you NOT gonna charge the battery at idle, you're also introducing a bunch of unnecessary condensation into the motor. Store it and forget it! Use a trickle charger.
If you don't charge the battery at Idle, your charging system needs repair. You will not make it through the next one hour traffic jam with the A/C and radio on.

Running the engine circulates the oil, heats the oil to get moisture out of it and lubes the motor, It also puts fresh gas into the injectors to help cut down on deposits and with a carb helps dissolve varnish in the carb.

Since my truck went from a daily driver to a stand by winter vehicle 15 years ago: I've always started my truck every 2 weeks, it's now 40 years old and had 480k miles with no rebuild - just a new carb and manifold 3 years ago. . This keeps all the seals and gaskets wet so they do not dry out. I also roll the truck forward or backward a few feet to prevent flat spots .

Works for me, my truck and 4 corvettes.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 12-10-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: hate auto spell
Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Why would you need to circulate oil and lube a motor that's in storage? Weird routine, especially if you're storing multiple cars. Can't imagine going out there every other week and running all those engines to warm up just to be shut off again.

As for the battery and alternator at idle, it'll supply a float voltage maybe 13.5 at best? It keeps a car running, sure, but it doesn't put out the proper charging voltage until you're at higher RPM. And I'll bet lunch you drew more power starting the engine than you've replaced with that 20 minute idle!

Just seems horribly wasteful to me. Battery tender and fuel stabilizer are so easy.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery