Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Road Trip to Tail of Dragon Area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default When, *****, Capt Sam

August could be good. Some participants might like to catch the Detroit Dream cruise on the way home.

Nice to hear from you ***** - hope you and Sylvia can make it!

Capt Sam - we have been to Charleston and across the river about 8 times - great marine park - loved the carrier and destroyer!
The following users liked this post:
capt. sam (04-08-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 09:14 PM
jjmuggs
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be interested.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:54 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Could I suggest late July or early August? Breaks things up a bit, rather than being too close to other trips.

Just my humble opinion....
Old 04-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Brian1395
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Debbie and I are interested. A good time we find going to the US is over our Civic Holiday weekend as the US does not have if off. Those who have to take vacation may save a day.

Brian Burchatzki
Old 04-14-2019, 07:42 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Sounds like a nice trip.
If available, my wife, Doris, and I would be interested.
Vern
Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 AM
Frank Psaila
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

june / july would work for me, as august is very busy with woodward and carlisle.. just a suggestion..
Old 04-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Default Civic Weekend?

Hey Brian - good suggestion!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I would suggest that it not be done on a weekend. We did it on a Monday morning around 0830 after a large storm went through the night before. Initially ,I was disappointed until I figured out that we had the place to ourselves -literally. Saw 4 vehicles going the opposite way , the locals on their way to work. The following weekend, 600 Mimis converged on the site. I was the only car/Vette on the Dragon.
As the season gets warmer & the tourists decide to drive the route, the State Troopers are in the trees. Do not put a tire over the yellow line if you are running in a large group, loud exhausts be careful, don't light up the rears .Takes about 22 minutes one way.Turn around & do it again.The morning we did the run was May 2nd or 3rd on our way back from Florida. I have a stack of maps I bought on Amazon of the area , very high quality, in colour of all the local twisties (37 or so) in the area .Some routes are much longer than the Dragon but just as challenging.Blue Ridge Mountains, you won't be setting any speed records.
Personally, I would recommend post Labor Day weekend , even early October as it's still quote warm down that way. Either way, do it in the early part or middle of the week. The car /bike clubs start showing up on Thursdays.
I'd be willing to loan out the maps on the condition they be returned in the same condition that you receive them.

Last edited by Airwilf; 05-03-2019 at 09:14 PM.
dlynch (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 09:56 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Airwilf
I would suggest that it not be done on a weekend. We did it on a Monday morning around 0830 after a large storm went through the night before. Initially ,I was disappointed until I figured out that we had the place to ourselves -literally. Saw 4 vehicles going the opposite way , the locals on their way to work. The following weekend, 600 Mimis converged on the site. I was the only car/Vette on the Dragon.
As the season gets warmer & the tourists decide to drive the route, the State Troopers are in the trees. Do not put a tire over the yellow line if you are running in a large group, loud exhausts be careful, don't light up the rears .Takes about 22 minutes one way.Turn around & do it again.The morning we did the run was May 2nd or 3rd on our way back from Florida. I have a stack of maps I bought on Amazon of the area , very high quality, in colour of all the local twisties (37 or so) in the area .Some routes are much longer than the Dragon but just as challenging.Blue Ridge Mountains, you won't be setting any speed records.
Personally, I would recommend post Labor Day weekend , even early October as it's still quote warm down that way. Either way, do it in the early part or middle of the week. The car /bike clubs start showing up on Thursdays.
I'd be willing to loan out the maps on the condition they be returned in the same condition that you receive them.
Good post.

Consider getting Mad Maps -- motorcycle maps. It'll help you see other routes. www.madmaps.com
Old 05-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

MadMaps are excellent, that's where I got mine.
dlynch (05-29-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 10:30 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Default Possible Itinerary

trip1.pdf
Old 06-01-2019, 11:10 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I just got back from a 53-day road trip that included 4 days at the Dragon.

To be honest, unless it's perfect weather and you are a knee-dragger, the 130-mile outter rim that also includes the 11 miles of the Dragon was a much better route and more scenic.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 06-01-2019 at 11:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WICKEDFRC:
capt. sam (06-02-2019), dlynch (06-04-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:57 AM
capt. sam
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

To those who have not done the tail of the dragon - you will see no scenery. It's eyes straight ahead for every curve that seems to pop up every 30-ft. One no sooner is on the gas but on the clutch (if manual) and constantly on the brakes. You'll put some wear on them. God forbid someone is right behind you. You'll be lucky to even grab a fast look in the rear view mirror. Pray everyone stays in their lane otherwise it Hello Mr. Wrecker.
dlynch (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 01:23 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by capt. sam
To those who have not done the tail of the dragon - you will see no scenery. It's eyes straight ahead for every curve that seems to pop up every 30-ft. One no sooner is on the gas but on the clutch (if manual) and constantly on the brakes. You'll put some wear on them. God forbid someone is right behind you. You'll be lucky to even grab a fast look in the rear view mirror. Pray everyone stays in their lane otherwise it Hello Mr. Wrecker.
While at the Dragon with my wife, we discovered MadMaps. They're wonderful. You can order them on line. You'll see a number of drives in each map.

The maps are somewhat weather proof. They are intended as a guide for bikers. You can fold them up and put them in a tank bag as a reference. So they are a handy size.

I'm glad that we went.

There are a number of videos on youtube of drives on the Dragon. Some are not nice....some crashes there.

Quick Reply: Road Trip to Tail of Dragon Area?