Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino CS - complaint

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,772 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by mark8855
So there is a lot of pro-zaino postings on this board, and I wanted to give a listing of my complaints with one of these products. I want other people to read about some of the zaino shortcomings, so that they aren't fooled into thinking that they need all of the zaino products.

Now, I've been a zaino user for over 7 years now, and love the product line. However, I have some complaints that I feel need to be put out there. This rant is aimed at Zaino CS

I tried this stuff today, and it's horrible. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but there's no way it should be this difficult to use.

complaint #1 - why does Sal make these products so that you just need 0.0000000001oz to do the entire car? Put some more distilled water or something in there so that we can actually use the product. The spray bottle has a horrible nozzle on it, and I cannot do 'partial sprays'. It's either a full spray or nothing. And with this 'use 0.000001oz of product' nonsense, it's impossible to apply the correct amount.

complaint #2 - probably related to the crappy nozzle/need for TINY amounts of this stuff, but it looks like complete garbage on my car. I'm sure I applied WAY too much, but in my experience, it is not possible to apply it in thin coats.

I tried this CS stuff on half of my hood, and what a PAIN it is to apply. The one spray (which should probably be enough to do half the hood) gets concentrated in one tiny litte 3" diameter blob, and then it refuses to spread around. This was following the directions of shooting from 4" above the paint surface. So I get these globs of this junk all over the place, with my hood basically leopard spotted with product. Sal, either make it so that you use a decent amount for a car, or put it in a bottle with a nozzle that allows for easy partial sprays.

edit: Please forgive the ranting of this post, but I'm especially frustrated, because this came after an even WORSE experience with Zaino PC-Fusion yesterday. After an application of the stuff on a quarter of my hood, I was left with tons of swirls. This was using a PC 7424 on slow speed with a brand new white LC pad. The stuff dusted up IMMEDIATELY after I applied it. Like after working it 25 seconds into the paint. Again, probably user error, but this stuff is NOT as easy to use as everyone makes it out to be. I feel like I was robbed of over $40 and lots of time with these two products.

So yeah, that's my rant. I'd like opinions from other people, esp CS lovers. How are you applying this stuff in thin coats? Is my bottle defective?
Don't know why you are having problems with Z-CS but here are some answers to your questions. I demo Z-CS at car shows, 12-20 sprays per car depending on the cars size is all it takes. I use 4-6 sprays for the whole Corvette hood (2-3 per side). I do Corvette's at car shows in under 5 minutes complete, once you have used Z-CS a few times you can learn to apply it very quick.

Below are FAQ's about Z-CS directly from Zaino Website

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Question. When I apply Z-CS, it looks very strange. Like, psychedelic.
Is this normal?

Answer. Yes. This is normal, allow the product to dry. As Z-CS is
applied and begins to dry, the optical effects may make the surface
areas appear prismatic or rainbow like. This is normal. Do not remove,
please allow Z-CS to dry and do it's work.

Question. I applied Z-CS on my black Corvette and it took a long time
to dry. When I thought Z-CS finally dried, it still looked hazy. Does
this mean I applied too much? Or am I just being impatient?

Answer. Yes. You probably applied WAY WAY too much Z-CS which can take
much longer to dry. Remember to always use Z-CS very sparingly. We can
apply Z-CS to your entire Corvette in about 10 sprays. Please wipe down
the EXCESS Z-CS with Z-6 (or a damp soft towel if you don't have Z-6)
and the shine will come through.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

My car is black, so I do see the rainbow. Like I said though, I only see the rainbow right where I spray, and maybe up to 2" away as I work the product into the paint. It never spreads more than that. When I spray the applicator first, it only rainbows when I first touch the pad to the car. Never more than 0.5" further. How far can you spread on your car and see the product being applied?
I have a silver car...hard to see the rainbow..but its there...one thing I will say....I ALWAYS have faith in Zaino and the instructions given for the use of their products.....

IMO Zaino CS is a fantastic product......
Old 06-25-2007, 11:07 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the rainbow effect is overblown, on my Victory Red Vette you really have to look for it, if I hadn't heard about it, I probably wouldn't even notice it occurrs

on my Silver dailey driver the rainbow is more noticeable, but still it only lasts for a short time and is hardly noticeable

The impression I am getting from some people is that they expect the car to glow amazing psychadelic colors as if they took Acid and are disappointed or think something is wrong when it doesn't happen.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cadguymark
I think the rainbow effect is overblown, on my Victory Red Vette you really have to look for it, if I hadn't heard about it, I probably wouldn't even notice it occurrs

on my Silver dailey driver the rainbow is more noticeable, but still it only lasts for a short time and is hardly noticeable

The impression I am getting from some people is that they expect the car to glow amazing psychadelic colors as if they took Acid and are disappointed or think something is wrong when it doesn't happen.

further to the point though...after CS cures, the shine is f#%king awesome...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:34 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a lot of zaino in my detailing and I will say there is a learning curve to the clear seal.

First I'm curious though.....was your car claybar'd before hand? proper prep will significantly smooth the surface and help any product you put on top of it to go on and off easier.

I like to use Z6 before I use the ZCS as well, Z6 helps the surface to be nice and slick and then I prep the pad with 2 sprays of ZCS and then 1 spray per panel and 2 on the hood.

It is supposed to go on and NOT be visable and sometimes if on too heavy it will streak which is why I go over the car afterwards with Z8 or Z6 just incase.

First time I used the ZCS it was on a dark blue 06 Viper and even after 2 coats of Z5 it still streaked a little, but I quickly learned a few simple tips (which I mentioned) and have never had any streaking issues since.

Josh
Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Sounds like user error to me.

Did you read the directions?

It takes me 10 minutes to do the entire car.

1 spray onto pad
4 inch spray away from panel. wipe back and forth.
As soon as you feel like there is a little resistance as there is less CS, make another spray. continue

Directly from Sal's mouth.

If you use to much, no big deal. Z8 the car after CS has dried and it will get rid of the excess.

It is the easiest product to use.

LEX
Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 PM
mark8855
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoshVette
I use a lot of zaino in my detailing and I will say there is a learning curve to the clear seal.

First I'm curious though.....was your car claybar'd before hand? proper prep will significantly smooth the surface and help any product you put on top of it to go on and off easier.

I like to use Z6 before I use the ZCS as well, Z6 helps the surface to be nice and slick and then I prep the pad with 2 sprays of ZCS and then 1 spray per panel and 2 on the hood.
So the car is brand new, and I had just finished claybarring the car right beforehand. My process was:

1. dawn wash/dry with 100% cotton towels (brand new)
2. clay bar using Z7 lubricant
3. wash/dry using the same towels
4. Z5/ZFX
5. buff using 100% cotton towels
6. Z6
7. Z5/ZFX
8. buff using 100% cotton towels
9. Z6
10. Z-CS
Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 PM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

So the car is brand new, and I had just finished claybarring the car right beforehand. My process was:

1. dawn wash/dry with 100% cotton towels (brand new)
2. clay bar using Z7 lubricant
3. wash/dry using the same towels
4. Z5/ZFX
5. buff using 100% cotton towels
6. Z6
7. Z5/ZFX
8. buff using 100% cotton towels
9. Z6
10. Z-CS
You missed one!

11. Z8. Makes a big difference. This comes from the man himself, Sal.

I do it a bit differently.

Microfiber Cobra towels and applicators for washing, drying, applying and removing. Only Cobra.

After washing with Dawn, clay the car.
Wash again with Z7 and dry.

Inspect the car for swirls. Are there alot or are there few. This will determine how many apps of Z5.

If there is little, 1 app is fine.

After Z7 wash, spray drying areas lightly with Z6 and wipe down with Cobra Waffle Weave.

Pour 1 ounce of Z5 and 4 drops of ZFX (per app. 1 ounce is probably too much. Use the rest on the rims)
Apply with the grain of the car. From front to back.

Wait for it to dry. You can test if dry by wiping off with a finger, and see if it streaks.

If I apply a 2nd coat, I don't Z6 inbetween.

After last Z5 removal (with microfiber cobra towel) I apply the Z6.

Then I apply Z2 with ZFX and remove the same way as the Z5.
Though through this step, I take a bit more time to check for removal.

1 side of towel to remove, flip and go over the same area.

Once finished, I apply CS.
1 squirt on the applicator, and then hold 4 inches from panel and do about a 2x2 area of the car.
Repeat for the rest of the car.

Let CS dry. Have a coffee, make a phone call.

Inspect. Any hazzing? It will look rainbowy.

No big deal.

Get the Z8, and Z8 the car. It will remove the excess CS.

RE: Rims. Do the same process at the same time with the rims, but remove the Z5/Z2 from the rims first. It dries quicker.

LEX
Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Great information Lex

I've used CS as a topper for Zaino AIO with nothing else and have had great results.

The first time I used it and applied too much I used a spray bottle of distilled water and a MF towel to remove the streaks.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:22 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

This pig is a 15 shot CS application...black surfaces only.

I use a "Polishing Pal" to hold a round mass market microfibre wax/polish pad flat on the surface and I can knock out a CS application in 5 minutes.
http://www.autogeek.net/polishing-pal.html
JU
Old 06-26-2007, 09:41 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

i had an issue last night with zpc. I had it gum up and was only able to work it for a few seconds. I think it was too humid out, or might have been the pad. First time i had a problem with zpc in 2 years I am going to try again tonight with a diff pad and hopefully its a little less humid.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:55 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how you can screw up a ZCS application.
A simple couple of sprays on a fender,hood etc and spread with pad and walk away.
5-7 minutes is all it should take.

Fantastic product!

Last edited by 69er; 06-26-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:49 AM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Great information Lex

I've used CS as a topper for Zaino AIO with nothing else and have had great results.

The first time I used it and applied too much I used a spray bottle of distilled water and a MF towel to remove the streaks.
I would suggest getting Z8. It really makes the paint POP!

LEX
Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 PM
mark8855
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69er
I don't know how you can screw up a ZCS application.
A simple couple of sprays on a fender,hood etc and spread with pad and walk away.
5-7 minutes is all it should take.

Fantastic product!
When you spread it, can you actually see the product being applied?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:01 PM
mark8855
Advanced

I just talked with Sal on the phone. I'm going to give the Z-CS another try. He said that you don't necessarily see the product being applied (even on black paint), but need to trust that it's going where it needs to go.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:32 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just talked with Sal on the phone. I'm going to give the Z-CS another try. He said that you don't necessarily see the product being applied (even on black paint), but need to trust that it's going where it needs to go.
Did you have a chance to give it another go?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:11 AM
mark8855
Advanced

Originally Posted by gmblack3
Did you have a chance to give it another go?
Not yet. The car is covered in dust, and I don't trust the cali car dusters, and don't trust Z6-ing a dusty car. I don't want any more scratches. Hence, I'm waiting for this weekend when I can wash her down and apply some more Z5 and Z-CS.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino CS - complaint

Old 06-29-2007, 05:48 AM
gwayne
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Two cars per bottle? Are you serious or joking? I did two cars with CS and couldn't tell I had used any at all. Anyone else having this problem? I really would like to know.

Last edited by Jesse; 07-03-2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment...
Old 06-29-2007, 07:17 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 460 Posts

Are you applying your ZCS at 2:00 pm on one of your 130 degree days in direct sunlight? Two applications/bottle?
I have actually taped my bottle and marked it for each coat to see how much I am using. I have used it four times now and my guess is I will get 25-30 applications out of this bottle.
I agree with some of the complaints about all the different Z products and pricing, but 2 coats is ridiculous, and the finished results are fantastic.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gwayne
Two cars per bottle? Are you serious or joking? I did two cars with CS and couldn't tell I had used any at all. Anyone else having this problem? I really would like to know.

Somethings VERY wrong here...you should not use anywhere near 1/2 a bottle per application...try 1/2 an oz. and even thats a lot....

Additionally, I dont think anyone can comment on the costs of any product unless one has intimate knowledge of the time, materials etc that have gone into the product...just my opinion...

Zaino is not a mass market product, if one wants that the shelves of discount auto stores are filled with crap that just gets thrown out before you use it all...

IMO, Zaino has and continues to be a great line of products that if used according to directions (which are very clear btw) deliver fantastic results and value...

Quick Reply: Zaino CS - complaint