Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Z06 Drag Racers Help Me Here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cb5300
Well, for the record, are you going to the Birthday Bash, or the Cruise In? If so I'd like to see a "bone stock" ZO6 run in the 11's. I'll even buy you a beer to see that. Other wise, I only believe half of what I see, and not much of what I hear.

"He who cannot be advised, cannot be helped." Here's some advise....believe it. I witnessed Ranger put his car into the 11's on stock tires. Another member here, Dr. Ron, consistently has had his Z (with nothing more than a tune and a VaraRam) into the 11's on stock tires and on DR's. Again, I have witnessed this.

Rememeber, it was only about 700 years ago that people thought the earth was flat...LOL.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by EB20003
So if he is running a stock rear end he will hit 4th gear and if he is running 4.10s he will too.

So are you saying that other than his ETs it is impossible to tell just by observing him run it down the track?

I always thought that if you ran lower gears (higher number) you had to shift sooner.

I look at this car and I can't put my finger on it ......but something just isn't right. Routinely, consistent, 12.1, 12.0X with just headers and a breather.
If he has 4:10's & you observe him run you should be able to tell...He'll shift much quicker than a stock geared car. All M12 z06's will shift into 4th gear before crossing the stripe. The higher the gear the earlier their shift into 4th will be.
As for those doubting the runs made into the 11's, sorry but accept it. Many members have witnessed those who have run in the 11's stock, or in my case, mostly stock. Because you didn't see it or can't do it doesn't mean it can't or was not done.
Ron
Old 04-21-2005, 10:54 PM
cb5300
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I can run 11's, that's no problem....but not with a stock C5. I'll admit that I've had a "few" mods, and I've seen my share of runs. Matter of fact I'll be at the track (BMP) this sat. watching for those 11 second "stock ZO6's". Like I said earlier, bring your ride to Beech Bend next month and line it up with the rest of us. If you run 11's I'll buy you a beer and tell you how "great" you are.....Of course you know that "stock" means no head work, or anything like that. I know one guy was talking stock and it finally came out that he had pulled the heads off of his Z06 and "cleaned" them up a little, but he was still "stock" . Any way hopefully we will see you and that ride of your's at the cruise in.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:31 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Oh, I can run 11's, that's no problem....but not with a stock C5. I'll admit that I've had a "few" mods, and I've seen my share of runs. Matter of fact I'll be at the track (BMP) this sat. watching for those 11 second "stock ZO6's". Like I said earlier, bring your ride to Beech Bend next month and line it up with the rest of us. If you run 11's I'll buy you a beer and tell you how "great" you are.....Of course you know that "stock" means no head work, or anything like that. I know one guy was talking stock and it finally came out that he had pulled the heads off of his Z06 and "cleaned" them up a little, but he was still "stock" . Any way hopefully we will see you and that ride of your's at the cruise in.
Because "you said", everyone's gonna go running to your local track to prove you wrong. Most of us have better things to do. Thanks for defining stock for us as well. You sure your allowed to buy beer.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Dr Octane
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ranger is the Real Deal, and I'm sure a number of members on this forum have personally seen him do it .Just because I cannot get my Zo6 out of the 12s, doesn't mean Ranger cannot. If you happen to go to MIR sometime maybe he'll be there, and give you some driving tips. Obligations preclude me from going to the drag strip very often, but I had the opportunity to go to MIR a couple of years ago and see him run with DRs. 11.7s were the norm, I believe, and he was kind enough to talk to me and give some advice. He really has the launch and shifting down to a science.
I'd love to see what he can do with the C6 ZO6.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:13 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

With the season coming up, I am expecting to go up against this certain '03 Z06 in our club running in the 12.00- 12.1 range.

Mods that I can see are long tube headers, intake, and a Hurst shift ****, so I am guessing a short throw shifter, (he claims its just a Hurst shift ****)

He swears that it has the stock 3.42 gears in it.

I recall hearing that a Z06 with it's MN12 transmission and 4.10 gears in it would require 4th gear before making it through the traps. Is this true? What about 3.90s?
This car and his claims are for real. In fact even with the stock rear those mods should put him in the 11s on stock tires. The stock gearing shifts into 4th at 100 MPH which is well before the finish line.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:24 AM
JerryL
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I am another witness to Ranger running 11s. However, I think that he is overly humble. When he says a bunch of guys have done it that does not mean that it's easy or common. It's rare and requires superb driving skills - a perfect launch and power shifting just before hitting the rev-limiter. Sounds simple but most of us can't put it all together with any consistency.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:55 AM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Per Ranger:
11.8s bone-stock on stock tires and
11.5s with just drag radials with a cold-air intake
Someone is going to have to explain this to me very carefully. A stock ZO6 makes between 350 and 360 HP at the wheels. We have seen this many times. Put a driver and some gas in the car and it weighs over 3300 Lbs.

Physics, experience and every ET calculator on the internet say it can't be done. Now someone is being had. Either Ranger was sold a car with more in it than he was told or someone in your area was drunk when he measured out those tracks. I think the car is not stock.

Even Don Garlets can not make a STOCK ZO6 run 11.80 on stock tires and I don't care if the temprature outside is 25 degrees.

Come on, think, it just don't add up. You guys are being had.

I know I'm smackin a hornets nest here but you have to admit the claims just don't add up unless your oxygen content up there is somehow much higher than the rest of the country.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMansBlue04
Even Don Garlets can not make a STOCK ZO6 run 11.80 on stock tires and I don't care if the temprature outside is 25 degrees.
A friend of mine at a closed track session at e-town in only his second outing with the car and some coaching from Evan Smith managed to run a 12.0x in his BONE stock 2002 Z06 on the stock tires. I am sure that if he worked at it and the weather cooperated then he could run an 11.80 too.

We all agree that it is very hard to get a good launch on street tires, but some guys are able to master it and cut decent short times. And since 405 HP in a 3300 lb vehicle should be good for an 11.70, a decent launch will get you very close to the 11.80. There aren't tons of guys that can do it, but it is certainly believable that a few could get it done
Old 04-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Someone is going to have to explain this to me very carefully....Physics, experience and every ET calculator on the internet say it can't be done.... Either Ranger was sold a car with more in it than he was told or someone in your area was drunk when he measured out those tracks. I think the car is not stock.
From your profile:

2004 Automatic CE Coupe Z51
442 RWHP and 402 RWTQ
Best 1/4 ET 11.675 @ 120.54 MPH
VaraRam B2 Intake, AFR 205 Heads, AFR 224/228 Cam, FAST intake, LG headers, 90mm TB, Z06 Ti Mufflers, Yank/Lingenfelter 2800 Converter, 3.73 DTE Rear, Doug Dewitts Radiator, B&M Trans Cooler and a few other goodies.

After reading your profile (442 rwhp and a 11.67 ET), I better understand your skepticism that anyone with 80+ less rwhp can run faster than you do.

But then again plenty of guys with 442 rwhp are running in the 10s.

FWIW...I am original owner of each of my Z06s. There are no hidden mods. The cars have been looked over many times...down to pulling the air box open to verify an oem filter. I belong to a Corvette club and members keep pretty close tabs on one anothers' cars. Mine have been dynoed at local dyno days multiple times with club members present. My cars produce average rwhp for a Z06. The 02 is 353 bone stock and 363 when I run the Halltech Tric cold-air intake. So you think that after a dyno day, I reinstall the heads/cam/headers/tune/gears and head for the track...only to go back to stock for the next dyno day?

With a quarter tank of gas and me in it with my helmet, my 02 weighs 3260.

What I do that is unusual is practice, especially running through the gears with the engine off. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4...over and over. Usually 10 sets of 10 repetitions three times a week and every day I'm in the staging lanes. This makes for retentive muscle memory.

Anyone that thinks a good driver in an M6/M12 can't pick up a couple tenths with super shifting must drive an automatic. Wait...you do, LeMansBlue04.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 04-22-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Dude, no one said a stock C5 can run 11's. A stock Z06 CAN though with the right driver in the right conditions.
Stock= stock. Stock w/ bolt ons is NOT stock.
Although I have gone in the 11's multiple times, I have never claimed to be stock. My tune & Vararam though are in fact minimal mods at best.
Having said that, at a rental Tues. I made my last 4 hot lap passes on my stock 14K+ mile GYF1's, after not having made a pass on street tires in almost a year. It was LESS than "ideal" weather as well. I ran a best of 12.0@119.7 w/ a 1.89 60' w/ wheel hop on the launch & on the 1-2 shift....
442rwhp is underachieving at best w/ an 11.67@120....
As I stated earlier, if you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done!
If you want to see me do it watch the video in my sig & check out the 2 time slips I have posted.
Ron
Old 04-23-2005, 01:19 AM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
From your profile:

2004 Automatic CE Coupe Z51
442 RWHP and 402 RWTQ
Best 1/4 ET 11.675 @ 120.54 MPH
VaraRam B2 Intake, AFR 205 Heads, AFR 224/228 Cam, FAST intake, LG headers, 90mm TB, Z06 Ti Mufflers, Yank/Lingenfelter 2800 Converter, 3.73 DTE Rear, Doug Dewitts Radiator, B&M Trans Cooler and a few other goodies.

After reading your profile (442 rwhp and a 11.67 ET), I better understand your skepticism that anyone with 80+ less rwhp can run faster than you do.

But then again plenty of guys with 442 rwhp are running in the 10s.

FWIW...I am original owner of each of my Z06s. There are no hidden mods. The cars have been looked over many times...down to pulling the air box open to verify an oem filter. I belong to a Corvette club and members keep pretty close tabs on one anothers' cars. Mine have been dynoed at local dyno days multiple times with club members present. My cars produce average rwhp for a Z06. The 02 is 353 bone stock and 363 when I run the Halltech Tric cold-air intake. So you think that after a dyno day, I reinstall the heads/cam/headers/tune/gears and head for the track...only to go back to stock for the next dyno day?

With a quarter tank of gas and me in it with my helmet, my 02 weighs 3260.

What I do that is unusual is practice, especially running through the gears with the engine off. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4...over and over. Usually 10 sets of 10 repetitions three times a week and every day I'm in the staging lanes. This makes for retentive muscle memory.

Anyone that thinks a good driver in an M6/M12 can't pick up a couple tenths with super shifting must drive an automatic. Wait...you do, LeMansBlue04.

Ranger
In your own words you indicate that your claims would be viewed with skepticism so why insult me just because I drive an automatic? Check this board and you will find no one making claims such as yours.

If you're happy, good for you. But don't come here making exceptional claims that your stock car can run in the mid to high 11's just because you think you are superman behind the wheel and then get pissed off when someone doubts your claims.

We all know what it takes to get into the 11's and we all know it isn't done in a stock car with stock tires. The power to weight ratio and the required traction are simply not there. It is not reasonable to expect others to accept exceptional or abnormal claims just because you said so. If you can really do it, great, but don't start insulting me because I and others have good reason to be skeptical of your claims.

If you really want to prove your claims get into someone elses stock ZO6 and do an 11.80 run with it. As good a driver as you are you should be able to take my car down to 10.50's.

Last edited by LeMansBlue04; 04-23-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a 11.62 @ 114, 1.54 60' with stock internals(H&C). I only had 326rwhp and 385 rwtq at the time. Now with only 388rwhp & 410rwtq I ran 11.1 @ 121, 1.51 60'. Dyno numbers mean squat.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:04 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

In your own words you indicate that your claims would be viewed with skepticism...Check this board and you will find no one making claims such as yours....
Try checking out the accomplishments of:

A Texas driver whose CF screen name is J-Rod and runs at HRP. He's run his bone stock 02 Z06 to 11.78 and gone 11.59 with just the cover pulled from his air box and ET Streets.

A MA 02 Z06 owner that goes by Power Shifter who runs at NED. With only mods of Vararam intake and drag radial he's run 11.56.

Might want to look up VAI from Southern Canada...02 Z06 has run 11.78 bone-stock on stock tires.

And, of course, there is Dr. Ron who has posted his story on this thread. Z06 with a Vararam and a tune...11.67 on stock tires and 11.62 on drag tires.

There are another couple handfuls of people who have put bone stock Z06 into the 11.9s on stock tires, including the hot shoe driver of GM High Tech Performance magazine whose 11.97 was commemorated in cover/feature article last year.

In closing, you might try being a little more judicious in popping the BS flag.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 04-23-2005 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:38 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

I believe all the great times, but they ain't going to happen in Cali. I would love to see what would happen on the West Side!! I have seen a moded Z06 with 440 rwhp run 11.3-11.4 here, great drivers (PAT & KAT).

Last edited by wallstAL; 04-23-2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:56 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Try checking out the accomplishments of:

A Texas driver whose CF screen name is J-Rod and runs at HRP. He's run his bone stock 02 Z06 to 11.78 and gone 11.59 with just the cover pulled from his air box and ET Streets.

A MA 02 Z06 owner that goes by Power Shifter who runs at NED. With only mods of Vararam intake and drag radial he's run 11.56.

Might want to look up VAI from Southern Canada...02 Z06 has run 11.78 bone-stock on stock tires.

And, of course, there is Dr. Ron who has posted his story on this thread. Z06 with a Vararam and a tune...11.67 on stock tires and 11.62 on drag tires.

There are another couple handfuls of people who have put bone stock Z06 into the 11.9s on stock tires, including the hot shoe driver of GM High Tech Performance magazine whose 11.97 was commemorated in cover/feature article last year.

In closing, you might try being a little more judicious in popping the BS flag.

Ranger
Also:
Esoteric went 11.89 bone stock at 119ish
Nutbush went 11.75 with etstreets and air lid off.
Quicksilver went 11.4x's with vararam,clutch, and dr's
Brent went 10.96 with only 397rwhp/368torque.
The list goes on and on. Combine great driving with great weather on a good track and the numbers will follow.

Last edited by robz; 04-23-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:00 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, I never meant to start this.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Drag Racers Help Me Here.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Wow, I never meant to start this.

Damn. I thought this stuff only happened in the Tech section. With me and you.

Bob
Old 04-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 02MYZO6
I've been on the forums (CF & ZO6vette) for 3 years now following threads like these (bone stock 11 sec Z's). I too, am one of the many skeptics. Everytime someone questions these 11 sec runs in stock Z's w/ stock tires....you all (those making these exceptional claims) are quick to the defense. And usually the defensive attitude implies guilt. Otherwise, your egos are so big that "you think you're superman behind the wheel and then get pissed off when someone doubts your claims", as LeMansBlue04 put it so well.

I would also love to see this:

Come on, a 10 year old kid has the muscle memory to make these shifts. I don't see the purpose in practicing your shifts w/ engine off. Practicing your shifting under hard acceleration is a whole different ballgame. IMHO, shifting is all about timing w/ the engine on and accelerting. With all do respect, muscle memory has nothing to do with timing the shift under hard acceleration.

FLAME RETARDENT SUIT ON!!
I'm just curious and not involved in this discussion as I have a C5. What kind of ET's do you run with your setup? Reason I ask is that I have run 12.7's in my C5. Others can only run 13.0 / 13.2. I don't know why mine is quicker. But it is. I know to get these times my engine has to be at 180. At 195 it will run .15 / .20 slower.

There is a reason some of these Z06's are quicker. But I believe these guys when they say they are stock. Maybe just luck of the draw when they got their car.

Bob
Old 04-24-2005, 12:23 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 02MYZO6
.... IMHO, shifting is all about timing w/ the engine on and accelerting. With all do respect, muscle memory has nothing to do with timing the shift under hard acceleration.

FLAME RETARDENT SUIT ON!!
One advantage to his practice technique might be to get the shift positions down pat. Granted without the engine running, it won't do much for his shift timing, but at least he will know where 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear is each and every time due to muscle memory

Quick Reply: Z06 Drag Racers Help Me Here.