Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Going to the Track!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 09:51 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Going to the Track!

Just got ahold of my buddy and we are going to hit the track this Sunday!

I can't wait to see if I have things straightened out...

Hope some of you read my post further down and the progress I have made.

I did want to ask where you guys buy your drag radials and skinnies (size etc) for your cars.

I might as well get a set.

Thanks. And thanks again for your help with the knock sensor.

Jesse
Old 05-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Going to the Track! (ski_dwn_it)

Good luck Jesse, You will get there soon (low 12's , 110+ mph).

Vic

Old 05-30-2002, 10:47 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good Luck !!! Hope you find some of that lost HP.

As a note, since I was one of the ones telling you to disconnect the knock sensor, I guess I had better warn you about a potential problem you might have doing this.

On some Corvette set-up and some years. (Of which I am not sure of either), If your motor is 194 degrees or hotter and at wot and after approxmiately 2 seconds wot, your motor may go into a limp home mode. This limp home mode is only active while you have it floored, let up on the gas and it runs normal. Whats happening is that the ECM is looking for the sensor signal with the above conditions set and if it doesn't receive the signal, it goes into panic mode and will put you into this limp home mode and set a code... simply let off the gas and the problem will go away.

However, for reasons beyond my small brain, this doesn't occur with every set-up with the knock sensor disconnected. I no longer have this problem with my 383, but with my old 350 it occurred like clock work. Ralph has never experienced this problem. It appears some do, and some don't.... I really have no clue why. I was running a different chip with the 350, but with the 383 I ran the same chip I was running with the 350 and it didn't happen anymore. I have since changed chips from that one and it doesn't happen now either. Once again, I don't know why, but the point is, I don't think it has anything to do with the chip.

If you are one of the unlucky ones that this happens too, hook up a 5k ohm 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor between the ecm input and ground and the ecm will be pacified and the problem should go away.

Chances are it won't happen to you, but keep your eye open.

cheers,
Beach Bum
Old 05-31-2002, 11:45 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Default Re: Going to the Track! (Beach Bum)

Beach,

Thanks for the warning!

I don't think I will be affected. I had the car out last night and had it at WOT several times with no occurrances.

I can't say off the gas now! :D Power is much more crisp. I really think this was the problem.

I had that knock problem from day one after the setup was completed. I remember Dad and I going for the first ride and I had my scanner hooked up. Knock counts were everywere. I went out and upgraded the ESC per the tech section. Even replaced the knock sensor and wrapped it with teflon tape.

Guess we will find out on Sunday if this was the problem!
Old 05-31-2002, 01:56 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My ESC has been fried since i bought the car. sends a constant weird voltage to the ECM, but it seems to like it.

I got my last set of DRs from McCormick Racing (they advertize in ND). Bought the rims and DRs together and they mounted and balanced them for me. Their prices were competitive, they had everything in stock and they were able to mount and balance. Jesse if you are going to buy wheels and tires and plan to race a lot, you might wanna consider the 325s that i'm using. They're a bit oversized and require some addtional modifications, but they have been working very well. If you're going to race occasionally, just go for the biggest that'll fit correctly.
Old 05-31-2002, 03:03 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Default Re: Going to the Track! (ralph)

I see that summit has some in their catalog that are BFG Drag Radials 275/40/17 that would fit on my existing rims.

I don't drive the car often and when I do its usually just across or around town.

I figured I could just get the tires mount them and not worry about scwapping. Now the skinnies I would have to buy both rim and tires.

What are you guys opinions/experience with this type of tire?

Also at lunch today I really laid into the gas. No codes popped up? Do you guys figure I am OK?

I have been having some problems with the laptop communicating with the ECM for the past 1-2 months. Seems to freeze at times, but I don't notice a difference in performance.

I suppose that has more to do with the laptop/cable than anything. Just thought I would point that out.

You input is appreciated.

[Modified by ski_dwn_it, 2:05 PM 5/31/2002]
Old 05-31-2002, 04:55 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have a good time...don't expect really good numbers with this air. In November on the other hand, you'll be flyin'! Have fun. :D
Old 05-31-2002, 05:43 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Good luck, with that auto you should bring home some #s better than I did this week. :yesnod:
Old 05-31-2002, 08:34 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: (scorp508)

:cool: good luck, keep us posted :yesnod:
Old 05-31-2002, 09:31 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Default Re: (scorp508)

Good luck, with that auto you should bring home some #s better than I did this week. :yesnod:
I will be happy with your numbers. I have been chasing this for a while. Sooner or later I am going to nail it down.

In the event that I do get into the 12s. Or at last get my MPH around 110MPH. When I get home I am going to have a party and everyone is going to have a chance to take a hammer and smash my knock sensor! :smash:

Not really about the party, just hope I get into the 12s with this critter.

It would be awesome to get it hooking and be in the mid 12's. Only one or two cars out of about 50 were in the 12's. Except one street legal 67 corvette that ran 6 sec through the 1/4 at 202 MPH! :crazy:

I will use him as a person to look up to! :lol:
Old 06-01-2002, 02:30 AM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: (ski_dwn_it)

Good Luck Ski !!!

not sure what is going to happen to you... leave it with me for a week or two and I'll find your power.

In any regards, good luck and I hope you take 110 mph and throw that in the trash.... 112-114 would be more like it :)

cheers,
Beach
Old 06-01-2002, 08:46 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Default Re: (Beach Bum)

Good Luck Ski !!!

not sure what is going to happen to you... leave it with me for a week or two and I'll find your power.
Oh don't even temp me! I only wish someone around here knew what the hell is going on with this thing. I wish you guys lived closer!

In any regards, good luck and I hope you take 110 mph and throw that in the trash.... 112-114 would be more like it :)
I would crap if I went that fast tomorrow. I think there will be gains, but not to that degree. I could be wrong though.

We'll have to see. Either my post will be exciting or depressing again.

I have plans to take the car to a dyno next week and also to rent the track that we go to for a night of tuning. But if my trap speeds are still real bad, I might have to go back to the drawing boards.

When I spoke with the dyno shop they said that when they dyno the car, you pick the gear and run it up to redline and then they give you the printout. Is that right? What gear will give you the most accurate reading?
Can you guys let me know how you go about it. I have never been to one. They are charging me $75 for 4 runs. I want to get the most accurate data possible to assist in tuning. Thanks

[Modified by ski_dwn_it, 7:46 AM 6/1/2002]

[Modified by ski_dwn_it, 7:54 AM 6/1/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Going to the Track!

Quick Reply: Going to the Track!