Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

The 730 Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 12:12 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still haven't fixed the starter, but I did finally manage to link to the ECM with Craig Moates' software. It's a start, but it's still not started! Hopefully this weekend.
Old 06-15-2001, 12:30 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the great feeling--even though the engine isn't fired up, it sure as hell feels good to see the data being transferred!

Hey, if you have an automatic, you could always roll it down a really big hill, hook up a switch to lock the convertor up, and it would 'push start' just like a manual tranny

It could be worse...I am driving a blue oval product now while my car sits 220 miles away. Won't be able to work on it again till August 1st. Wow, that is a long time away...
Old 06-17-2001, 01:15 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

Mmmm ha ha! It was a really good week and we got it fired up yesterday. I say we, because the gf went through the wiring with me again and helped me find a couple of pins I had screwed up. The '85 only has 1 injector ground, so the last bit was a guess, and it was her first guess that solved the problem. My settings are closer than I'd though. It's tune time now.

Old 06-17-2001, 05:05 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

TNT,

First off, use the green wire from the MAF connector for your MAP signal wire. Just grab the +5v reference and the ground from the TPS. I just wiretapped them. For repinning, I used a tiny screwdriver to release the pins from the factory headers and reinserted them into the proper spot on the '7730 headers. I had made a few mistakes, but eventually I got it right. I have a lot of information on my home computer for wiring, but I just moved and won't have an internet connection there until tomorrow. I'll send you all of my info at that time. I pulled it all from a few websites. One of them was the GMECM site, but it's down right now. One site details the conversion from a '165 ecm, and the '870 is pretty close. I used his conversion notes along with an '870 wiring diagram and a lot of help from Dennis (Bowtye8) and everyone else here and at thirdgen.org.
Old 06-18-2001, 07:52 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tntcorvette:
[B
Mojo,

So you de-pinned the '870 harness under the dash and re-pinned the '730 wireharness???
[/B][/color]
That's exactly what I did. I moved 1 pin at a time.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

Cool...guess im going the long way and gutted the '870 harness outta my old '870 computer and will connect that to the header under the dash.

[/color][/QUOTE]

Making an adaptor is probably the best way to do it. That way you can switch back if you ever decide you need to.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

Send me the info you have...i'll definetly appreciate it...right now im going by the info on that guy with the '85 camaro website and tracking the '870 -> '165 -> '730 rewiring...sorta the long way...

[/color][/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I did. Just be careful not to mix up the '165 schematic with the '870 schematic like I did! Also, he made a mistake or two on the rundown sheets he did for '730 to '165. When referring to those, be sure to check both sets against the schematics he has posted from the manual to be sure everything matches up correctly. Just take your time and quadruple check everything! Another note, the '85 only has 1 injector ground, so both black and white grounds on terminal C/D go to the injector grounds.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote][/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

I think we can call Dennis the '730 God on this forum for now!
[/color][/QUOTE]

I would definitely agree! I couldn't have done it without his help, and everyone else who contributed.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:17 PM
BOWTYE8
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Guys

Karl how far along are you??
I still ahve a few undone pins. some of teh emissions stuff.
I ran out of pins on my conversion harness.

Mojo did you find the speedo wires??

How did you guys run you wire for the ALDL. I ran a direct wire from the ecm to pin M on the aldl. I tried to just relocate the yellow serial factory line on the 870 ecm but nogo. Its seems to run thru the maf burnoff module.
Did you guys have luck just relocating the aldl pin E to pin M and able to link with daicom??

Dennis

Old 06-19-2001, 07:30 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

Dennis,

I did find the speedo wires, thanks! For the ALDL data I moved the pin from E to M, then spliced a completely new wire to it and ran it to the ECM. I'm not using Diacom, I'm using Datamaster and it seems to like it just fine. BTW- You have mail!

Chris
Old 06-19-2001, 07:59 PM
BOWTYE8
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Mojo
Were you not able to connect with jump the pin e to pin M jump with the factory wires??
I started to trace the ALDL serial wire and got lost. Its seems togo to thru the maf burnoff.
Dennis

Old 06-19-2001, 11:46 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

OK, what I did for my serial data line:

Since my burnoff mod. was messed up, I just took it completely out of the system. With it out, I then just spliced the serial line to itself (if you don't understand what I am saying, I will try to be more clear on another reply). That wire then used the stock termination point in the ALDL plug. It didn't work though. I had to remove the pin from the stock location 'E' and put it in it's new home (ok, I don't have the schematic or my car here, but I think from all the commotion here, it is Pin M...this is after the 10 minutes trying to figure out how the heck to un-pin the ALDL connector!).

The serial data line does go to the burnoff module but I think there is a splice before it...kinda like this...

Computer
I
I
I
Old 06-20-2001, 12:32 AM
BOWTYE8
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes Matt keep us posted.

YOu may be on to somthing there about the erasing codes. I thought I was able todo thata while back. Not shure if it was my vin I have entered. Some years did not have that option. At one time I did have both pin e and m to the ecm. I will have to give that a try.
Still waiting for my diff for vettparts.
I may be posting a big write up on the pithetic service from this place in florida.

Dennis

Old 06-25-2001, 11:46 AM
Mojo
Safety Car

I started tracking down the miss this weekend. When I pulled the cap, I found that one of the screws holding the rotor had come loose. I didn't see any visible damage, so I put everything back together and it still misses, just not as bad. I pulled a few plugs, they all looked good. I ohmed out the wires, they're fine. I'm thinking there must be a hairline crack in the cap that I'm not seeing. The whole thing sucks because I have to give back the laptop that I'm running datamaster on this week. I only have a short time for collecting data samples, and I want to try a brand new bin....
Old 06-25-2001, 01:12 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mojo
I started tracking down the miss this weekend.[/color]
Had the same problem a while ago due to the fact that my #3 and #2 plug wires were routed behind the distributor cap and one was arcing to one of the 4 HEI wires out of the base of the distributor. I have since been routing them in front of the cap (I guess the way GM intended).
Old 06-25-2001, 02:03 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

How did you figure out that they were arcing? I have to run #2 behind the distributor, there's no room to run it in front with the Superram.
Old 06-25-2001, 02:35 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mojo:
[B
How did you figure out that they were arcing? I have to run #2 behind the distributor, there's no room to run it in front with the Superram.[/B][/color]
Dumb luck actually. I was advancing the timing and shocked the heck outta my hand (one of the many times). Since they were all connected, I figured it was a bad spark.

Oh, yeah...don't turn the distributor CW or CCW with the key on and the bat terminal plugged into the cap with the plug wires disconnected [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] It is quite interesting. -Matt-

[This message has been edited by HighHopes85 (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 12:16 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

I have soldered a ZIF socket in place of the eprom on the stock memcal. Then I use an amtel AT29C256 Flash eprom instead of a regular eprom. I use Tunercat for the software, and a pocket programmer for the hardware.
Old 06-28-2001, 04:47 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Looks like I might go with the flash prom too. So far, I have just been erasing the factory chip and programming it as a regular 256 but every once in a while, I will get a code 51 even though the chip verifies to the BIN. 30 minutes in between runs starts adding up. What kind of price are we talking about for the flash? (...too lazy to look it up right now ). -Matt-
Old 06-28-2001, 05:37 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

Matt,

The flash prom is only about $5. Well worth it! Erase time is seconds, and they don't degrade like the UV chips do.

Get notified of new replies

To The 730 Club

Old 07-01-2001, 04:10 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

I'll have to go back over my schematics and post tomorrow, but NC is no change, and you will be using most of those. EST is the electronic spark control. I think it's called something else on the '730 chart. Same with the AC pressure switch, 4th gear switch, and Fan Control. I used the MAF signal wire (green) to carry my MAP signal and pinned it to the appropriate place on the '730. Leave VATS empty, you'll be disabling it on your chip.
Old 07-04-2001, 12:13 AM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Sorry guys for slacking off, but my double deuces birthday was yesterday and, well, I was not really in a coherent state

If you can wait till the seventh, I will have access to all of my schematics. I wote down all of my changes because I thought I would have a lot of problems. Well, I didn't so you should be able to follow them without a hitch. -Matt-
Old 07-13-2001, 04:25 PM
Blkvette87
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to do this mod. I'm tired of farting around with MAF. My 383 could run much better. I'm sure of it. Do I need a '90 model ECM? And what else do you do? Hell, I'm willing to try. I've done all of the other mods myself. Thanks for input.

Quick Reply: The 730 Club