Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Spark plug selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 10:53 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got a 406 with Dart II heads and need to know a good plug.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2001, 09:04 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

According to Jacobs Electronics' Tech manual, a copper core plug is the best all around plug to use for N/A engines used on the street. He recommends different tip lengths for force fed engines like yours.

It probably is a good idea for you to order a copy because it contains tons of ignition info. There's an entire section on plugs.

Jacobs says Autolites give the longest life because of the material used in the electrode doesn't wear away as quickly.

I've tried several different plugs and just a couple of days ago installed a set of AC FR3LS gapped at .035.

I removed a set of platinum tipped jobs which were one heat range hotter than the 3LS's because they appeared to be running a tad too hot; very little color.

Heat range is something you'll have to play with because the correct range depends on lots of variables - compression ratio, spark curve, initial advance setting, A/F ratio, etc.

I haven't played with different gap settings yet because I'm still running the stock coil/distributor setup.

Your setup is a lot more radical than mine so my plug experience won't apply to you.

One trick I intend to try soon is to cut back the rotor tip 1/8" to increase the spark energy delivered to the plug.

Hope this little info helps. Hopefully some others will chime in.

Jake

Quick Reply: Spark plug selection