Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

thermostat temp

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 09:53 AM
rmagden
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat temp

What temp thermostat should i be using in my 1973 corvette 350 automatic Thanks Rich 160 180 190
Old 09-01-2016, 01:52 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

With a street driven automatic, I prefer a 180F thermostat as a replacement for the stock 195F unit. (Automatics don't like a lot of heat, and since your transmission fluid is cooled by the radiator, a 15 degree drop in water temperature helps a lot.)

If you auto-x your Vette or otherwise participate in sporting events, you might be able to use a 160F thermostat; however, depending upon where you live, your water temps may be too low during fall/winter to obtain full use of your heater/defrost system. I've only used a 160F in auto-x vehicles, and even then, had to change them out to 180F units during the fall in order to use the defroster in Virginia. YMMV.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:41 PM
rmagden
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You This Helps me A lot

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
With a street driven automatic, I prefer a 180F thermostat as a replacement for the stock 195F unit. (Automatics don't like a lot of heat, and since your transmission fluid is cooled by the radiator, a 15 degree drop in water temperature helps a lot.)

If you auto-x your Vette or otherwise participate in sporting events, you might be able to use a 160F thermostat; however, depending upon where you live, your water temps may be too low during fall/winter to obtain full use of your heater/defrost system. I've only used a 160F in auto-x vehicles, and even then, had to change them out to 180F units during the fall in order to use the defroster in Virginia. YMMV.
Thank You this Helps Me A Lot
Old 10-05-2016, 07:49 PM
jdcfrank
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have one in mine but I don't use the heater or defroster
Old 08-18-2017, 04:58 AM
techinspector1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory used 195 thermostats because their engineers understood that the motor needs to run that hot to burn off acids and contaminants that form in the oil if the motor is run cooler than that. Taking a look at OEM parts and procedures will usually put you on the right track as to why something is one way or another. Their engineers get paid the big bucks to figure this stuff out.

Last edited by techinspector1; 08-18-2017 at 05:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VetteMaster (10-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To thermostat temp

Quick Reply: thermostat temp