Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Attn: Monty got a quick question.

Old 12-23-2002, 10:52 PM
zturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: Monty got a quick question.

Well i have put the motor up for sale and have contacted a shop about my new motor. It is a lil diff than i was planning but will be fun. Here is my question. The heads i will be running are 18* heads. How do you like your cam in your car? Do you wish you went any way diff with it? What rpm's is it setup for?

Thanks for your time
Steven
Old 12-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Attn: Monty got a quick question. (zturbo)

I like the cam I'm currently running. It doesn't fully follow conventional turbo cam trends, but it works well for my specific application. Most people seem to favor durations in the 230's @ .050" for SBC-based turbo engines, along with 114+ LSA's. I've got a little more displacement than most, so I felt it needed a little more duration to allow the engine to breath, plus I wanted to soften up the bottom end torque as well as the fact I like the "muscle car" lope at idle. I built my car to be a street car, so I wnated as much area under the torque curve without having too much low end torque. Even with forced induction, I still feel it is just as improtant to maximize efficiency.

With my setup, it idles smoothly, but with some "muscle", at 850rpm and pulls about 11" of vacuum. I can cruise around with the converter locked up at 70 doing 1800rpm, and you wouldn't know that it wasn't just a hopped-up stock engine. But if you get into the throttle fast and let the rpms build past about 2800-3000 rpms, it just takes off like a rocket. It's still scary to me to be honest and I'm only running about 5# of boost. We spun it up to 7500 on the dyno but the cam and turbos are matched to provide maximum power in the 6800rpm range, with peak torque around 5200 rpm. I kept the curve very similar to what my NA BSC 427 was, I thought that engine had th peerfect torque curve. I wanted to keep that curve, just amplify it with the TT's.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:42 PM
zturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Attn: Monty got a quick question. (Monty)

Thanks alot Monty. I am leaning towards a 434ci right now if my motor sells. So thanks for your info on the camshaft.

Steven

Get notified of new replies

To Attn: Monty got a quick question.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attn: Monty got a quick question.