Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

I think it is almost done.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 05:24 PM
zZArAZz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it is almost done.

Hey,
It has been at least 10 years since I put together an engine, I started building my 505 about 3 months ago and I just got the oil pan sealed up tight, and all I am waiting on is my super ram to get delivered!!!

Here is what I put together:

454 4 bolt mains
Milodon oil pan and dipstick
Moroso billet oil pump
one piece oil pan gasket- :cool:
4.25 scat forged crank
.100 over hyperutectic pistons
Hydraulic roller cam .610 intake .632 exhaust
locking cam bolt plate with arp bolts and nylon cam button
matching hyd roller lifters, springs, retainers, pushrods
Gold Crane roller rocker arms
Edelbrock 110cc Performer RPM polished heads
Edelbrock polished timing cover
Moroso fabricated valve covers
Meziere 55gph billit electric water pump
Crane billit timing gears
ARP oil pump stud and head studs, all other hardware is ARP except the main and rod bolts.
The Wheel externally balanced flexplate.
Accel Super Ram 1000 CFM.!
I read somewhere on the net that there is a matching distributor to plug into the super ram, I am waiting on delivery to check for documentation..
I guess there is new software out too "Cal Map 2002"?

I learned so much building this engine, including how to read a degree wheel and check my cam specs. I bought a ton of engine tools also:)
I just hope I built it right and it does not explode!! hehe!
I have 3 questions for the experts, before I put the engine in my 81..

The Edelbrock cast aluminum timing cover was a strange thickness, I had to grind down the end of a nylon cam button for it to fit and to keep the cam end play to spec. Is this acceptable?

I bought my 505 slightly used from Kahuner, and was told that I would not have to re balance the short block. I have the stock balancer that came with the engine. What is actually modified to balance a externally balanced bb chevy?
Do I need to keep the original balancer in order to avoid having the engine re-balanced or can I buy a new externally balanced balancer and install it?
Heh that does not sound right.

Are their different length screw in studs for roller rocker arms? My studs do not seem long enough and I am only getting about 5 threads of grip on them.
Also for hydraulic roller lifters its 1/4 turn past 0 lash? My roller lifters seem like they are so easy to plunge and there is hardly any tension at all between the pushrods spinning freely and the plungers being pushed in. Mabye because they are empty of oil?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

1 Month Ago:

Old 01-03-2003, 05:45 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: I think it is almost done. (zZArAZz)

That should be a fun motor. I have those same valve covers and could not get them to fit in the engine bay. They hit the heater hose, alternator and power brake booster I am going to cut and weld them since the motor is torn down anyway. They sure look neat
Old 01-03-2003, 06:26 PM
zZArAZz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I think it is almost done. (69 N.O.X. RATT)

aww crap:)
Cut and weld mine too? :)
Is there a quality alternative that fits with no modifications?

Get notified of new replies

To I think it is almost done.

Quick Reply: I think it is almost done.