Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Update on Ryan

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Default Update on Ryan

Please pray for our Friend Ryan. Below is a link to an update on him. He really needs a Miracle now.
http://www.teamsalmons.com/2009/04/update-on-ryan.html
Old 04-28-2009, 08:06 AM
dadvan99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18
Oldtimer

Ryan, his family and friends continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 AM
tdbarnes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prayers, prayers, and more prayers for Ryan and his wonderful family. Thank you for being our hero, Ryan. tdb
Old 04-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for the link Deb; I hadn't known that there was an update posted.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 AM
LDB C5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
Thanks for the link Deb; I hadn't known that there was an update posted.
I subscribe to the email too.........I know the Ohio people have to bee keeping a close watch on our buddy ........................................ ................................
Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Vette N It
Instructor

Having been around Ryan quite frequently, it pains me greatly to say I have seen a definitive deterioration in him over the last week. I have learned quite a bit medically over the last month I have known him and here's something I will share. The average person needs to be at a minimum of 92% O2 saturation, with a normal saturation in the upper 90's. When I was with Ryan on Sunday his sat level would drop from 96% while on O2, to 80% in a matter of minutes. Scary.

His father and I had a conversation Sunday and we all agreed the group events for Ryan are no longer feasible, but I think the pleasure it gave Ryan in the short window we had, was worth every second of it for him. Again, I would like to thank everyone that came to the April 4 event, April 11 event, the WMC Lunch, the plant tour, and the NRCC meet and greet Sunday the 26th. Ryan thanked me many many times for getting the chance to do those things, but without all the attendees it wouldn't have been as impactful as it was.

He is a humble kid and I truly think he doesn't understand the impact he has made on every person that has had the chance to hear about his fight, or those who got to meet him in person.

On Sunday, while the NRCC folks were viewing his car in the garage, I had a poignant moment with him that he doesn't even know about. We were standing on the front porch and I asked him if he was ready to go back inside yet and he said, "No, I want to stand out here a little longer. The weather is so nice." I am not going to forget that, because it helps me realize that work, the economy, the crappy round of golf I played, the stress of trying to install my own headers, etc are not things to get so stressed about.

Lastly, his father and I spoke about the last Corvette event for him that I will organize. Brad and I want as many Vettes as we can get in the last caravan. I will post more details when the time comes. What I can share is Brad has told me he wants all the Vettes in the procession to fly OSU or CBJ flags, the kind that roll up in your window.

If anyone has any questions, please PM me.

Love you buddy.

Mike
Old 04-28-2009, 04:07 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

I just don't have any words
Old 04-28-2009, 04:09 PM
DM VETT
Pro

Mike, it broke our hearts Sunday to see Ryan and know that we were at the last event that Ryan could do. My wife and I will never forget when Brad " Ryans Dad" was saying goodbye to us at the door and looked at Chris and said give me a hug. Then he gave me one. At that point we made a conection between us. I don't want to forget Brad & Susan anymore then I want to forget Ryan. They have been there for Ryan and are A big part that has allowed Ryan to live as long as he has. The whole family needs our prayers and I know that anytime, anyplace, we will be there for Ryans last cruise. I also know of club members that will be there. We have been touched in a way that we will never forget and will be with me till I die. I was blessed to meet Ryan and will never forget him. He will be a legend to me.

Dave
Old 04-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Vette N It
Instructor

Thanks Dave. It will obviously be a rain or shine cruise. I was just texting Ryan and he said he would probably have to go to the hospital tonight or tomorrow, then Brad called me and said they were going to try to hold out to give Ryan a chance to sleep in his home one more night. He also said Ryan is sleeping almost all day now, he is only awake 5 - 10 minutes at a time.

One thing I forgot to mention from my conversation with Brad on Sunday was the fact that Jason Chimera from the CBJ's was delaying his trip back to his home in Edmonton to be here for Ryan. The sports world needs more class acts like Mark Chimera. Mark I don't know if you read the forum, but if you do, my hats are off to you for all you and the CBJ organization have done for Ryan.

I just hope he is able to control the pain.

Mike

Last edited by Vette N It; 04-28-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
DM VETT
Pro

This is one time that it will not matter if the Vett gets wet. Could you please E-Mail Brad and Ryans address so our club can send a card to thank them for Sunday and also a word of encouragement.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:29 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

If someonw could post a couple of pics for me I have a couple from the plant tour for everyone to see. Just send me a pm if you are interested in posting the pics. I just have never posted a pic before.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

Mike,

I'm glad you posted what you said. It was hard to see him like that. I pray that he will turn around also. Here is a picture of Ryan and the Waterfall that the plant engineers signed for him after his tour. I was there when he was talking about the ZR1... he was most upset that he couldn't hear the whine of the supercharger . I told him I can even hear it a bit in my Grand Prix.

Mike and Mark are also pictured.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

Default Couple of Pics from Mark

Here are a couple of pictures from Mark. I should have some more from him later on tonight. Both of these are also from this past Sunday when the Dayton NCCC club came over from Springfield

Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Z'ha'dum
Le Mans Master

Location: I tell people I'm from Detroit...but nobody really lives IN Detroit
St. Jude Donor '13

That is tough to read
Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 PM
DM VETT
Pro

It was good to see Ryan Smile.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by dadvan99
Ryan, his family and friends continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
And may the Good LORD give him and his family the strength to deal with this extremely tragic situation
they are all dealing with!

Get notified of new replies

To Update on Ryan

Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
And may the Good LORD give him and his family the strength to deal with this extremely tragic situation
they are all dealing with!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Default 5/28 Update from Team Salmons.Com

April 28th, 2009

Ryan has had a stable day which today is a good day. We had a small issue with his oxygen pumps, but we were able to resolve it with the help of the home health care company. Ryan continues to have pain in his stomach area and in his upper back. Please pray that Ryan is pain free and comfortable during this time.

Thank you for all your calls, emails and messages on the blog. The support you have all shown means so much to all of our family.
Posted by Brad at 8:06 PM

I remember Ryan telling me about the new pains in his back when we visited him. I will never forget that he took the time for us despite all that he is going through. Ryan we love you!!!!!!!!!!!:blu eangel:
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Ryan is the finest young man my wife I have had the pleasure to meet. My prayers are with him and his family.

Jim & Dee (Benpup) Gray

Quick Reply: Update on Ryan