Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Infinite Scroll Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvarapala
It will jump you to any other forum. If you click on the one you're already in it does nothing.

In the last iteration that button was a QnD way to get back to the index page of the current forum; not now no more.

But that's OK, I found a new shortcut.
Again, if you're running 3rd party extensions/software that alters the appearance or functionality of the site then it (and others) may not work correctly. I state this because I believe you've mentioned in a previous Help thread of running said software.

If you've disabled the 3rd party extensions/software and still have the issue, please provide the browser and browser version so that further testing and review can be done. When testing on Chrome, IE and Firefox (without extensions), the jump menu works correctly for me so it's not obvious as to what the issue is.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Tukon44
Infinite scroll would be fine if the breadbox thing worked where you can hit the go button on bottom right of page indicator where the go button brings you back to the thread page. Right now it can take you to a different thread topic, but not the same one you are in.
If you have Related Threads enabled in the UserCP, then as you scroll down those Related threads get shown and the Page navigation changes for those related threads. So perhaps turning off Related Threads in UserCP might fix that issue for you. However, I think what you're asking is an easier way to get back to the index of the forum that shows all threads for that section? You shouldn't have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page. As the page starts to scroll up the header menu should appear and it will show you the forum you're browsing. Clicking on that forum would then take you to the thread listing for that forum.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:30 PM
Tukon44
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks JT.

Ahhhhh I see it now. I scrolled all the way to bottom and you don't see the header, one mouse click page up and that header appears so that's good. Thanks again
Old 07-10-2018, 09:44 AM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
it's not obvious as to what the issue is.
In a nutshell, the "Forum Jump" facility behaves differently under Infinite Scroll.

With infinite scroll disabled, clicking the "Go" button returns you to the Index page of whichever forum you are in (in this case the Help Forum).

When Infinite Scroll is enabled, selecting the Help Forum does nothing if you're already in the Help Forum.

It's no longer an issue for me, as I figured out other ways to get back to the forum index after I'm done reading a thread.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:53 AM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by dvarapala
In a nutshell, the "Forum Jump" facility behaves differently under Infinite Scroll.

With infinite scroll disabled, clicking the "Go" button returns you to the Index page of whichever forum you are in (in this case the Help Forum).

When Infinite Scroll is enabled, selecting the Help Forum does nothing if you're already in the Help Forum.
Thanks for that clarification. I'm not quite sure the "legacy" Forum Jump menu was intended to allow the user to return to the parent forum for the thread being viewed but instead an actual menu to move to another forum. There are/was other methods to return to the parent forum (such as the bottom and top breadcrumbs). Like other things, people find different ways for doing the same thing.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Force-1
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
I believe in the Beer Fairy
USAF (Retired) 1979-2001

An Audi Forum I hang out at switched to this format several months ago, so this was an easy transition for me.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:30 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tukon44
... Right now when we get to the bottom of thread we have to scroll all the way to the top to click the thread link to get back to the thread list. Hopefully that gets fixed.

This is a major inconvenience! Put it back, please!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:50 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy

This is a major inconvenience! Put it back, please!

No, when you begin to scroll that header menu appears. You do not need to scroll all the way back up. If it's not working then, again, you need to make sure you're not using 3rd party extensions/software that alter the appearance/functionality of the site.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:26 AM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Absolutely the worst "feature" I've ever seen. Thank goodness for the option to turn it off. Too bad a lot of members don't know about turning it off and they might never be back.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:38 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by J T
No, when you begin to scroll that header menu appears. You do not need to scroll all the way back up. If it's not working then, again, you need to make sure you're not using 3rd party extensions/software that alter the appearance/functionality of the site.
Got it! I was used to seeing the "pathway" like it appears at the top of page, and completely missed the Go button. All is well again. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:50 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

I like the new feature, generally, but have noticed odd behavior on iPad. When I visit a subscribed thread and click "first unread" it correctly jumps to the right post. But if I decide to scroll slightly up to see the context of what came before that most recent post, the forum jumps WAY back in the thread.

also, when trying to get back to the top of the screen (tapping a blacpnkmarea at the top browser window) the forum seems to fight it, by forcing me back into a thread posting farther down.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 07-12-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:25 PM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

This is another thumb's-up for the ability to disable infinite scroll. Keep it around if you like as long as you give user's the choice to turn it off. The thing steals precious screen space and generally is annoying.

​​​​​​​
Old 07-13-2018, 09:02 AM
_Will_
Team Owner

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by driver9
This is another thumb's-up for the ability to disable infinite scroll. Keep it around if you like as long as you give user's the choice to turn it off. The thing steals precious screen space and generally is annoying.
​​​​​​​Thank God for Ublock Origin. I'm able to filter out and delete all these annoying bars that pop up at the top and bottom of my screen now on the forum. Good grief it's like someone set out with a goal of making it annoying as possible to surf the forum.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:42 PM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by _Will_
​​​​​​​Thank God for Ublock Origin. I'm able to filter out and delete all these annoying bars that pop up at the top and bottom of my screen now on the forum. Good grief it's like someone set out with a goal of making it annoying as possible to surf the forum.
I use uBlock Origin too but didn't need to implement it in this case because infinite scroll can be turned off in your settings on this site.

Otherwise, your suggestion is excellent.

​​​​​​​

Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Jason
Please try scrolling up ever so slightly from anywhere in a thread. The entire top navigation will drop-down into view, letting you access My Recent Topics and other menu items without the need to scroll all the way to the top.
So that's what you call the little window shade that drops down every time you try to scroll up? I find that to be one of the most annoying things on the site since the "upgrades". When I want to look at the top thread and move it down slightly. down comes the window shade and blocks my view of the thread so I have to completely readjust my scroll the try again. Is there anyway to disable this function? Or is selling that little ad in the corner more important? I don't know if I am the only one who does not like this feature, but I truly find it constantly annoying. I, for one, have no trouble going to the top of the page for navigation.Thanks--Bob

Edit: I think that disabling the infinite scroll stopped this feature. DIdn't realize they were one in the same.--Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 07-19-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:30 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
Edit: I think that disabling the infinite scroll stopped this feature. DIdn't realize they were one in the same.--Bob
Yes, the drop-down (top menu) & quick reply bar (bottom menu) are tied into the infinite scroll and can be disabled.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:32 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Have to agree with 6spdC6. It was FINE before IB messed with it. Never had a problem with going to additional posts or any other navigational issues/concerns.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I know people resist change- and this group of curmudgeons more than most. But this infinite scroll- while good in theory- fails miserably in practice.

Trying to get back to the top of the page is a PIA and the forum title may/may not appear. Scrolling through a previous page using the arrows/previous/next buttons is an.n exercise in futility.

I understand IB probably wants a new look and more space for ad revenue- that wide banner about someb woman Id never heard of leaving GMA- not only in the way but tone deaf frankly for the user demographic.

some fine tuning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Rollie

Get notified of new replies

To Infinite Scroll Feedback Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 12:47 AM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Now when you get to the end of a thread, there's no option at the bottom to go back to the forum. Like several have said already, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! You messed with it until you got it all wrong. I disabled the infinite scrolling too - that SUCKED! Reminds me of what happens when a very successful company gets new owners. They go ahead & start "improving" things. I've seen it SO many times.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:28 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Chambered
Now when you get to the end of a thread, there's no option at the bottom to go back to the forum. Like several have said already, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! You messed with it until you got it all wrong. I disabled the infinite scrolling too - that SUCKED! Reminds me of what happens when a very successful company gets new owners. They go ahead & start "improving" things. I've seen it SO many times.
This was discussed in this thread. If you begin to scroll up, you will see the navigation bar appear. Simply click on the forum in the navigation bar and you will go back to the index of that forum.

For those who turn it off, there is a plan to have some navigation/breadcrumb installed.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
That information was provided in Jason's first post of this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597563415

Thank you I came to ask the same question. You know how long it takes to load all pictures with infinite scroll? Whomever thought that was a good idea must be one of those people that say "Hold my Beer, watch this" and then the epic fail happens. SMH

Quick Reply: Infinite Scroll Feedback Thread