Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Watch Out For The Tire Shack!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my tires mounted at a Goodyear service center.

They are CERTIFIED in mounting runflats and have all the proper equipment.

And the price for mounting and balancing was very cheap IMO.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:25 AM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Red70vette
I don't know why everyone is surprised at the service they get when they buy tires online and then take them to a tire retailer to have them mounted. The tire retailer makes money to pay the rent, turn on the lights, pay salaries, pay healthcare for his workers, pay social security taxes, real estate taxes, sales taxes, and plenty of other overhead by selling tires. There is little or no money in mounting them with an experienced person. The online tire dealers do not have to pay any of those things so they can sell cheaper than the local stores.

If you want to buy tires online be prepared to have them mounted by the trainee, wait until all the paying customers have been serviced, and not be viewed as a valued customer by the tire shop....
And how will they pay the bills if you aren't going there for mounting/balance either?

Yea, they have 2 people on staff mounting tires - one for 'paying' customers...and a trainee that only does the mail order folks

FWIW, the place I use could care less where the tires came from - they do an outstanding job, and I don't hesitate to recommend them to anyone that asks. But don't expect to pay Sam's Club prices there.

This is no different than taking the Vette to a different dealer for service, one that didn't sell you the car. Do they assign a 'trainee' to work on it because it's not one of theirs? If they treat you poorly, or give you grief about not buying the car there, what are the chances they will sell you a new car or ever see you for service again?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:03 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
And how will they pay the bills if you aren't going there for mounting/balance either?

Yea, they have 2 people on staff mounting tires - one for 'paying' customers...and a trainee that only does the mail order folks

FWIW, the place I use could care less where the tires came from - they do an outstanding job, and I don't hesitate to recommend them to anyone that asks. But don't expect to pay Sam's Club prices there.

This is no different than taking the Vette to a different dealer for service, one that didn't sell you the car. Do they assign a 'trainee' to work on it because it's not one of theirs? If they treat you poorly, or give you grief about not buying the car there, what are the chances they will sell you a new car or ever see you for service again?

The overpriced tire comments don't work anymore. It's a global economy now and anyone can get practically everything delivered right to your door. Here's a hint. Local tire shops don't really stock too many tires, they get them delivered from distribution centers, same as Tire rack, et al. Plus they can get them at the same prices as the online guys. So no need anymore to price gouge customers.

The local places will only survive on services. Some see this as the death of the local retailer, most see it as the end of ridiculous price gouging. You don't like the local retailer's price, tell them. You'll find more often then not they are willing to work towards a fair price.

I've bought tires online (Discount Tire Direct is my favorite since they always include shipping in thier prices) and had them mounted locally with no issue. Next time I went to that place and offered them to price match the online price and they did and then some.

But any place that treats you like a second class customer because you bought product some place else is to be avoided. If anything, they should be glad to help you out and tell you next time come see them so they can get you an even better price/service.

That's simply how it is. Business that don't accept the customer service model will soon be out of business.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:49 PM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Master1742
Nah :p Guy who owns tire shack is actualy my Father lol. Who cares you ask? Its a car forum >:O dur! I like any car that looks nice .
So did you actually open a new profile just to defend your Father in law's shop ?

If so...how did you know there would be a negative post thread ?

Quick Reply: Watch Out For The Tire Shack!!