Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

"event" wash. Dc feelers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 AM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default "event" wash. Dc feelers

Thinking of a day trip. There is ample parking and I am really interested in the Holocaust Museum. Went a few years ago with the CF but missed this site.
David
Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM
JK C6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's "ample parking"?
You might give some thought to taking Amtrak to Union Station and then Metro to the Museum.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 337 Posts

Wife & I are headed to DC for a long Memorial Day weekend.....heading down on Thursday & coming back on Sunday (to miss the Monday traffic). Driving in downtown DC can be a pain plus parking is $$$. Instead, staying at a Marriott in Silver Spring....1 block from the Metro station. Will ride the Metro to all the places we want to see....Air & Space Museum, American History Museum, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Holocaust Museum, bunch of monuments....and the zoo!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The Holocaust museum is depressing as hell ...... not a fun trip ...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrooklynC6
The Holocaust museum is depressing as hell ...... not a fun trip ...
...same could be said for the Vietnam Vets Memorial but all part of our history...
Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Going and returning is the fun part.

dave, tried to get a place for Sat-Sun, but no one nite stands. Gotta be 2nites sat-mon......Traffic
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by theVcar
Going and returning is the fun part.

dave, tried to get a place for Sat-Sun, but no one nite stands. Gotta be 2nites sat-mon......Traffic
You might try a bit out of the city....like College Park, Silver Spring or Bethesda....
Old 05-23-2012, 02:55 AM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

I've been to the holocaust museum a couple of times. Here are a few thoughts.

First, it's better experienced by yourself. If you are with a group, you will not be talking to them. You will be with them, but most people are too respectful to speak much during all of it. Basically you will need to act as if you are alone, anyway.

Second, you will be depressed. Again, not a good group experience. It really kills the "fun" in any group.

Third, the only thing worse than the roads in DC is the parking. I hope you weren't planning on driving a vette around there. Your best bet would be taking the metro to any locations in DC, but metro stations are crime central. If you leave your vette at a metro station, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were tampered with. I'm not saying it WILL happen, I just wouldn't be surprised.

You may find a hotel with secure parking in the city or one that is near enough to a metro station to catch a bus, taxi, etc. Just be sure the neighborhood isn't a dump. There's a lot of that around DC. Your best bets for places to stay along the metro are the west sides of the red line or the orange line.

I do reccomend experiencing the museum, though. Very powerful. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dave S
Wife & I are headed to DC for a long Memorial Day weekend.....heading down on Thursday & coming back on Sunday (to miss the Monday traffic). Driving in downtown DC can be a pain plus parking is $$$. Instead, staying at a Marriott in Silver Spring....1 block from the Metro station. Will ride the Metro to all the places we want to see....Air & Space Museum, American History Museum, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Holocaust Museum, bunch of monuments....and the zoo!
Got back last night from a four day visit to DC & thought I'd pass along the logistics for a great trip. As noted, we stayed at the Marriott Courtyard (Downtown) on Fenton St. in Silver Spring MD. The hotel is connected to a municipal hi-rise garage that is TOTALLY Vette friendly & very secure. Best of all, there's no charge after 8:00 PM or on weekends.....we drove in on Thursday morning....left the Vette parked for the four days....left on Sunday & the cost was 'nada'. The Metro station is a five minute walk from the hotel or their van will take you over. The Metro in DC is absolutely great for getting around to all the museums & monuments. Also, don't miss the evening Old Town Trolley Tour that leaves from Union Station around 7:00 PM.....3+ hour tour of many of the major monuments & sites. When we got back to the hotel in the evenings, we were pleasantly surprised to find that one block over (Ellsworth) was a resturant & entertainment area that was blocked off in the evening as a pedestrian mall.......there was even an indoor shopping mall with all the usual big name stores & was heaven to the wife. All in all, a great trip that I would recommend to anyone who wants to visit DC. The Memorial Day weekend was extra busy in the District, but we still had a blast......and Rolling Thunder was a heck of a sight!

Get notified of new replies

To "event" wash. Dc feelers

Quick Reply: "event" wash. Dc feelers