Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Here comes the Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Boost_TT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chittychittybangbang
I meant what you and me can do with these cars. Who cares what a pro driver did on x day? What matters is what I can do, and admittedly, it's not very much From what I've seen, most people do 1 autocross or 1 track day and think they are in the 90% percentile of drivers, lol. My ego is firmly in check.

True, but you need to remember, AWD is easier to control and more forgiving than RWD cars. So the nod would go to the AWD GT-R.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:10 PM
bdking57
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Boost_TT
True, but you need to remember, AWD is easier to control and more forgiving than RWD cars. So the nod would go to the AWD GT-R.
AWD cars are not that great for autox... providing, Iv ridden inside the fastest AWD autox car and national champion.. and autox my old evo VIII.. the problem with awd is it gets really akward and slow during hairpins. Its great on the street and all, but drive train loss is also awful on the highway... not to mention extremely expensive to track and repair, noisy as hell, kills mpg etc. As a finance/ marketing guy.. this car seems foolish to me. It would have been better priced at 45K where people that want it can actually buy it and tune it... instead were gonna be subject to a bunch of Z fanboys, who cannot even afford the car running around hyping it to all hell. I gladly take my 80K, buy a new evo X or new STI and 08 C6 Z51 and have the best of both worlds. This is such a niche car for the people that can buy it on a whim its not even funny.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:55 PM
opua
Instructor

To me, this car has only one downside: it is one of the ugliest car I have ever seen. It's like a Mustang that has been hammered down in the front. What were the designers thinking of?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Originally Posted by opua
To me, this car has only one downside: it is one of the ugliest car I have ever seen. It's like a Mustang that has been hammered down in the front. What were the designers thinking of?
Its all about personal preference, i feel its beautiful, not a typical supercar look(vette style), keeping it real to its boxy roots, but still giving it one of the lowest Cds in the segment(.27)
Old 10-26-2007, 06:10 PM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

Inside Line's first look video says 3836lb for the japanese spec model. A Z06 is in the same price range with more power and 6 HUNDRED pounds less weight. The AWD gives the GTR a very nice hole shot, but on any sort of roll on I would expect it to match the GT500, run right alongside the C6 coupe.

Id like to see what nissan could do with that engine/transmission combo on a CF bodied G37 with some meat in each corner. (Id say 350Z but [the GTR] has backseats like the porsche.)

Essentially its the same formula as the STI, Evo, and the cerrara turbo. Stick a good amount of power in the engine, turbocharge it for top end, and add traction with AWD. its a nice combo for 0-60, 1/4 miles, and it adds an undefinable amount to handling, but its heavy and that dulls the response and performance everywhere.

A coupe with cam/headers/tune and good rubber should beat the GTR up to top speed any day of the week for significantly less money. Hell, spend $5k on 4LT or a DSV interior and youd have a better car for anything.

Reading more about the thing leads me to believe that the 7:3x runs were done on cut slicks, race only tires. Production cars will be mid 7:4x+ with pro drivers. Its impressive, but overpriced. The fanboys wont be able to afford the price. The people who can will be put off by the nissan badge (as the vettes do) and by the lower than porsche interior. Oh, and just the fugliness factor in general.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:38 PM
eddiehaskell
Advanced

Originally Posted by ilkhan
Inside Line's first look video says 3836lb for the japanese spec model. A Z06 is in the same price range with more power and 6 HUNDRED pounds less weight.
If you compare list weight vs list weight, it's actually closer to 700lbs (674 lbs).

I wonder if it the US version will be heavier like some other JDM imports?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ilkhan
Reading more about the thing leads me to believe that the 7:3x runs were done on cut slicks, race only tires. Production cars will be mid 7:4x+ with pro drivers. Its impressive, but overpriced. The fanboys wont be able to afford the price. The people who can will be put off by the nissan badge (as the vettes do) and by the lower than porsche interior. Oh, and just the fugliness factor in general.
Bingo... from PistonHeads:
HONED AT THE 'RING

GTR chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno told PistonHeads that his baby had covered over 3000 miles at the Nordschleife and avoided other circuits as they were deemed 'too easy'.

Nissan's original target was to beat the 911 Turbo at the 'ring but they ended up worrying the Porsche Carrera GT.

They didn't beat the GT's 7min 32sec lap time, but got a 7.38 in semi-wet conditions.

'We used cut slick tyres' said Mizuno.

'I was not interested in full slick times as this bears no resemblance to a road tyre. 1.2G of force was being pulled in wet and over 2 in dry'.

They weren't interested in running full slicks? Well, that's mighty sporting of them to just run cut slicks and then let the world believe that a production GTR ran that time.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing...?f=23&t=455380
Old 11-19-2007, 10:08 PM
TxChristopher
Instructor

Originally Posted by thegame
I don't believe those times for a second. I actually like nissans alot and I hope it does turn out to be a good car but for a car with that much weight and under 480hp stock their is no way in hell it does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and 11.7 1/4 miles times. AWD or not I will believe it when I see it.
Your lack of experience with turbo cars shows. Power under the curve is what matters, you can out power me at peak but if I have more power available on average through the swing of my tach than you do then I will own you. You are also leaving out gearing. Odds are the car is steeply geared, and with AWD it will be able to take advantage of that gearing. Do the math, with proper gearing a 480 horse car can put considerably more torque to the ground than a 500 horse car can, and it if it can then hook that power up and make forward motion (traction) then its bye bye baby!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
TxChristopher
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Finally, to all the tubo guys that think all you have to do is crank up the boost for 150 extra HP. Uh guys....if it was that easy, everybody would do it. There is NO such thing as a $1500 mod that brings 150HP and also has the engine staying together for any length of time.

Jimmy
Whenever you are ready to lose some money just let me know. I am willing to take all bets that I have a turbo intercooled vehicle that can gain 150 horses just from TUNING. Even better, I am talking RWHP. In fact I can gain over 200 horses at the rear wheels tuning alone. All this from $750 software, no internal mods at all and the engine will last for years and years. Get your money together, any amount you feel brave enough to lose, and I will meet you at a dyno and prove it.

I love the Corvette, its a great car, but lets not mouth off about the things we don't really know about........
Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 PM
TxChristopher
Instructor

Originally Posted by bdking57
AWD cars are not that great for autox... providing, Iv ridden inside the fastest AWD autox car and national champion.. and autox my old evo VIII.. the problem with awd is it gets really akward and slow during hairpins. Its great on the street and all, but drive train loss is also awful on the highway... not to mention extremely expensive to track and repair, noisy as hell, kills mpg etc. As a finance/ marketing guy.. this car seems foolish to me. It would have been better priced at 45K where people that want it can actually buy it and tune it... instead were gonna be subject to a bunch of Z fanboys, who cannot even afford the car running around hyping it to all hell. I gladly take my 80K, buy a new evo X or new STI and 08 C6 Z51 and have the best of both worlds. This is such a niche car for the people that can buy it on a whim its not even funny.
Drivetrain loss????? The new GT-R has the ability to cut power all the way down to 2% up front. Not only that, it can transfer power to any wheel, even laterally using yaw sensors. Futher, they engineered the drivetrain with one degree of angle between the engine and the rear mounted transaxle, and under power that turns into zero degrees for a direct transmission of power, meaning the drivetrain losses will be much less. Who has more power, a car that has 505 horse net but a 15% drivetrain loss, or a car with 480 horses and a 10% drivetrain loss? Then after that which car has more power under the curve? Hmmmm GT-R has 434 pounds of torque from 3200 to 5200 rpm, hows the LS7 cranking down low?

Quick Reply: Here comes the Nissan GTR