Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Modified GTR vs. Modified ZR1 who would win?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What are the GTR Z06 trap speeds. That tells you the power story. Z06 is also going to be traction limited.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 PM
blue.label
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
I think the GTR is overhyped compared to a ZR1 though.

Blue.label, glad to see you joined here

-Alex
What up Alex? Thanks for the kind words. Wanted to check this place out. I have a sweet spot for the C6. GT-R being overhyped? Perhaps. Don't you think it's quite a statement that a ~4000 lb car with 4 seats, a trunk, all year round usability, and all the techno-gadgets performs the way it does? It's a perfect all-around car, IMO, that does a lot of things well. ZO6/ZR1 are driver's, performance only cars. In that sense, I guess the GT-R is overhyped.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blue.label
What up Alex? Thanks for the kind words. Wanted to check this place out. I have a sweet spot for the C6. GT-R being overhyped? Perhaps. Don't you think it's quite a statement that a ~4000 lb car with 4 seats, a trunk, all year round usability, and all the techno-gadgets performs the way it does? It's a perfect all-around car, IMO, that does a lot of things well. ZO6/ZR1 are driver's, performance only cars. In that sense, I guess the GT-R is overhyped.
No problem, glad to have your responses here too. I was stating that simply from a performance standpoint that I would compare the GTR to a ZO6. Similer power figures and even with the weight difference, the AWd really helps the GTR to stay on course with a ZO6. But yes the GTR would be an overall better car with having more seats and such. But I doubt someone that is looking for a performance/track car is really caring if the car has 4 seats or not. Anyone that has either car I would think would also have a nice four-door sedan and baby their toy.

-Alex
Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by motogib1
What are the GTR Z06 trap speeds. That tells you the power story. Z06 is also going to be traction limited.
The Z06 traps a higher speed and wins every roll race if both cars are stock.

Something no one is mentioning here with the cars, is the Z06 also gets far better gas mileage than the GT-R. So if you plan on doing a lot of driving, the Z06 will end up being considerably cheaper to drive.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by blue.label
I'm a newbie here and a member of SF. I just wanted to address this because it can be confusing. Engines produce torque. HP is a way to translate twisting force to work done over time, which is meaningful for us to determine acceleration. This is due to the time factor, by definition of power. ET calculators work on the principle of HP, not torque, although one can be obtained from the other by a conversion factor.

You can't treat hp and torque as two separate entities that an engine produces, like your statement suggests. The torque value means nothing until rpm is introduced. Coincidentally, it's these two variables that define power. So to restate what you said; torque is what makes your car move and continue to move. It's the torque at a particular engine speed (definition of power) that determines how fast you are going to move. This is why small-displacement motors with low torque and high rpm's can accelerate as fast large-displacement motors with high torque and low rpms. The translated torque at rpm (definition of power) is the same. Obviously, I'm not introducing gearing in the equation since I'm trying to keep it simple.

When you are racing, particularly in the straight-line, high torque at low rpms gives you a disadvantage since you are spending the majority of your time at high rpms. The only advantage comes at the initial hit. After that it's about sustaining the highest average power throughout a run. This is where revs come into play. An increase in revs, depending on your setup, will result an increase in power. More power = faster times.

In the real world, it's about who can sustain the highest average power while being able to hook. The GT-R's advantage is having AWD, a double-clutch gearbox, and a very low coefficient of drag. The gearbox is the biggest reason why the car is amazing. It is seamless in that there is no turbo pressure drop between shifts. It's very similar to an auto, except it doesn't have a power robbing torque converter. Disadvantages are of course it's weight.

The ZR1 is lightweight, but what makes it great is also the reason why it has a disadvantage. Every shift takes time and interrupts power delivery. The car is rear-wheel drive and has a large displacement motor, which inhibits traction as power is increased. All this can be remedied by throwing in an auto and proper tires, but then it wouldn't be a ZR1. We've yet to see 1000 whp out of a ZR1, but the GT-R reliably does so already. The beautiful thing about the GT-R is that you don't have to compromise much to benefit from mods. Although the ZR1 has the potential to make a ton of power, if you can't hook, it's useless. Just my $0.02.
That was a very well written accurate post, and even though there are many more variables than what you mentioned, this is why I kept my statements brief(look at my post again where I clearly said I was keeping it simple, I am pretty established when it come to all aspects of making a car go fast, I have ahcieved 8 and 9 and 10 quarter mile times with my current 3 cars, done allot of the wrenching myself in a state of the art shop along side world champion racers.
I know the science of going fast, but still , dont know everything, as anyone who thinks they do are just plain ignorent, cant feed the fanboys any more fuel or things to google.
But yes I am very aware of what you said, but that is off topic(as I myself have gone off topic to expose certain fanboy, google happy people on here, who have never been on a track.) to the OP question again the answer to the OP is ZR1
Also welcome to the corvette forum, it doesnt matter if you are a newbe, if you come on here are state good info.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 10-18-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by crwtrans
The point I'm trying to advocate is that there is no reason to look at the torque. If you want an engine that produces 1000hp a@ 8,500rpm you will need 617ft/lbs of torque. The misunderstanding is that you are thinking that I'm saying you will never need torque at all. This is not the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say that you can throw out your torque numbers, they are unimportant. Now for the car to make X amount of horsepower it will need Y amount of torque at Z rpm. So you will need torque to make horsepower. However the torque, as a number, is useless to brag about. It is useless to say "Oh yeah, well my car makes 400ft/lbs of torque. Now if that same person was to say "My car makes 400ft/lbs of torque at 8000rpm" its a different story. But thats only because that means he's making 609RWHP. Which is definitely a force to be reckoned with. So in the end I think we were arguing totally different points (atleast I hope I've caught the problem here). I'm saying Torque as a number means nothing but rather that horsepower is what you should pay attention to because that is what makes your car go down the track. You're saying that torque is necessary for an engine to make good horsepower. So in the end we're both correct. Obviously the better your torque, the better your horsepower. But high torque is nothing without a good amount of RPMs.

(3 ft/lb of torque @ 2 RPM) / 5252 = .0011424 HP

(1 ft/lb of torque @ 8 RPM) /5252 = .0015232 hp
I talk about the engine block and you quote me about a breif statement I made about torque? you dont have to back peddle anymore, I'm not going try and eduacate you, its a waste of time
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by crwtrans
Well stated
like you even have a clue as to one word he said
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JustinStrife

Something no one is mentioning here with the cars, is the Z06 also gets far better gas mileage than the GT-R. So if you plan on doing a lot of driving, the Z06 will end up being considerably cheaper to drive.
Dont give the fanboys anything else, I know what the GTR is capable of, and I know what I have personaly done to every GTR that has crossed my path.
just answer the OP's question, which would be ZR1, no contest.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by motogib1
At the strip Ive seen fox mustang go mid 11's at traps all under 115, where a Z06 will average 10mph more than that and run the same time.
Power to weight and of course the 60ft is the biggest factors in running good 1/4 times.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Dont give the fanboys anything else, I know what the GTR is capable of, and I know what I have personaly done to every GTR that has crossed my path.
just answer the OP's question, which would be ZR1, no contest.
Well if the Z06 can do it, then it's beyond obvious the ZR1 can do it even better.

We're not even talking about fun driving either. I'll take either Z over that boat anchor GT-R with only two pedals any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 PM
kageryu311
Pro

If you plan on driving the car year round the GT-R would be the cheaper choice as you wouldn't need a winter beater car.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:04 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kageryu311
If you plan on driving the car year round the GT-R would be the cheaper choice as you wouldn't need a winter beater car.
Not where I live buddy. I drive my Supercharged C5 365 days a year here in San Diego.

And as mighty as the GT-R seems to be to some people, none ever want to race me. Don't want to have their egos bruised I think.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Not where I live buddy. I drive my Supercharged C5 365 days a year here in San Diego.

And as mighty as the GT-R seems to be to some people, none ever want to race me. Don't want to have their egos bruised I think.

Hey JustinStrife

To bad your not in Chicago or I'm not on the west coast. I'd race that SC C5 you have there in a NY minute!

A roll or dig your call.....win or loose my ego doesn't get bruised to easily.

Actually my car will be at the Texas Mile Oct 22-24 you should bring your car down and we could line them up. They have roll racing in the afternoon there. Just some fun on the track.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 PM
kageryu311
Pro

Dude you live in San Diego. It doesn't snow like it does in NY. Attitudes like yours is why a lot of people don't like the Corvette guys around here. You think that your car is invincible to imports because you have a blower on a stock LS1. Please....
Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
Hey JustinStrife

To bad your not in Chicago or I'm not on the west coast. I'd race that SC C5 you have there in a NY minute!

A roll or dig your call.....win or loose my ego doesn't get bruised to easily.

Actually my car will be at the Texas Mile Oct 22-24 you should bring your car down and we could line them up. They have roll racing in the afternoon there. Just some fun on the track.

If I recall correctly, yours has a crap load done to it Wanderer. There isn't any in San Diego that I'm aware of that are more than 'look at me' driven.

I'm still running the original longblock, clutch, transmission, and rear end with 129k on everything. Can't race from a dig as I'd blow something with DR's. She's my daily driver after all and has been for 3 1/2 years.

Still gets me 30mpg on the freeway driving 75-80 on 91 octane.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Dude you live in San Diego. It doesn't snow like it does in NY. Attitudes like yours is why a lot of people don't like the Corvette guys around here. You think that your car is invincible to imports because you have a blower on a stock LS1. Please....
Invincible to imports? You know nothing about me buddy. I came from imports. Street Port 13b with '99 spec twin turbos RX7, S14 SR20 Silvia conversion S13 Coupe, 4AG redtop High Compression motor swapped drift AE86 hatch, I cut my teeth on imports before I switched to Corvettes. Been there, done that. And I know I'm not the fastest V8 around here. Friends with a built Twin turbo C5z making over 700rwhp on pump gas, another friend makes over 1000hp on race gas with his 408 turbo Fox. I'm just a middle man around here with the V8 crowd.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

The import guys have made the car scene a living hell out here in Southern California. An absolute hell. I sold mine as I couldn't deal with the police anymore harassing me. San Diego actually has a police task force setup to crack down on modified cars(primarily imports) because of import owners being overall jack-azzes on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To Modified GTR vs. Modified ZR1 who would win?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 AM
kageryu311
Pro

The import guys have made the car scene a living hell out here in Southern California. An absolute hell. I sold mine as I couldn't deal with the police anymore harassing me. San Diego actually has a police task force setup to crack down on modified cars(primarily imports) because of import owners being overall jack-azzes on the street.
Thats because most of the import owners in your area are jackass civic owners which are dumbass kids. There are idiot car owners everywhere. The biggest Jackasses around my town are a group of kids with mustangs.

As far as the import cars that you've owned those are pretty difficult platforms to modify. I personally wouldn't waste my any of them other than the SR20 S13. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What guestimate would you think is the percentage of imports that are modified or stock that can shut down a blown LS1? Seriously, take his car and drive it in any state and how many of the imports would lose to it? I'm guessing at least 90%. I raced a modded S2000 last night in my stock LS1 and humiliated it. Cool dudes and all but, that car just couldn't take it. Now couple that with a C5 that is almost double the stock power and still lighter than the most powerful imports. So then we have the titans of the import world as far as power production, the Supra and the GTR. How many of those are actually on the road to race? Like next to none? Furthermore, how many of those are modded to run on race fuel? Even less. So the ACTUAL likelyhood of him loosing to an IMPORT is very very very slim.

-Alex
Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 PM
kageryu311
Pro

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
What guestimate would you think is the percentage of imports that are modified or stock that can shut down a blown LS1? Seriously, take his car and drive it in any state and how many of the imports would lose to it? I'm guessing at least 90%. I raced a modded S2000 last night in my stock LS1 and humiliated it. Cool dudes and all but, that car just couldn't take it. Now couple that with a C5 that is almost double the stock power and still lighter than the most powerful imports. So then we have the titans of the import world as far as power production, the Supra and the GTR. How many of those are actually on the road to race? Like next to none? Furthermore, how many of those are modded to run on race fuel? Even less. So the ACTUAL likelyhood of him loosing to an IMPORT is very very very slim.

-Alex
I agree that there arenn't many imports that would beat him but I wouldn't say the likelyhood of him losing is slim to none. A full bolt on GT-R on pump gas would beat him. My thing is people acting cocky because they have a Corvette they are on top of the world, and people complain and say ricers are the only ones with these attitudes? come on.

Quick Reply: Modified GTR vs. Modified ZR1 who would win?