Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Porsches,,UGH!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:10 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by JerG

I'm with you, I just don't get these cars. They are a terrible value compared to a Corvette. Compare a Boxster to a Corvette? Even if you take money out of the equation, I'll take a Corvette over any 911 for looks, value and performance.

I just don't get the Boxster. Can you imagine trying to show your friends the engine, where is it? Own a 911 and explain to the average Joe that it's different than the Boxster and make excuses why Porsche is making ugly SUVs and an even uglier Panamera, no thanks.

Porsches have good quality but that's about it for me. The closest I would come to owning one would be a Lambo Gallardo, if I ever hit the lottery.

Jerry
Well for some reason the 911 does have the best resale among the sports cars. As far as the boxster, what is there not to understand? Have you tried to find a mid-engine car for less money.

As far as the stock exhaust, it is not very impressive. However, plenty of sport exhaust options available from both porsche and aftermarket.

Last edited by PeterK; 10-09-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:20 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by PEERPSI
Porsche with a turbo equals no exhaust noise.
You're misinformed. A 996TT with a sport exhaust will make a meanest shriek.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Id have a GT3 Porsche in a second if I could...

Toque

Maybe even the "Bandit Edition"
http://www.ridelust.com/2011-911-por...andit-edition/

Best handling car I've ever driven...it was a clooooose second to my 2011 AW ZR1. Liked the GT3 so much more than the 997.2 TT with PDK....but damn that car is smokin' fast (2.7)

Last edited by 05dsom; 10-09-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:42 PM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by kerryt1
I like all cars, even Porsches. I drive a Corvette because it's most performance for my money at this moment, and I am a GM fan.

FYI, there are some seriously fast modded Porsches out there.
I agree 100%. I absolutely love my Vette but equally and better dependent on some particular reasons. They are both great cars. I view the 911 as the Vette of Europe - what else is there? As far as quick and fast you are right on. 997TT's with a few mods will run below 11's (and with additional mods in the high 9's) in the 1/4 and 0-60 (where honestly most street cars are utilized) will beat a Vette hands down unless (1) you have C-compound tires, and (2) you know how to shift.

Take a look at the 918. That is the most beautiful car I have ever laid my eyes on and cant wait till my 36 month wait is up; you only live once.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:49 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by CPG1962
I agree 100%. I absolutely love my Vette but equally and better dependent on some particular reasons. They are both great cars. I view the 911 as the Vette of Europe - what else is there? As far as quick and fast you are right on. 997TT's with a few mods will run below 11's (and with additional mods in the high 9's) in the 1/4 and 0-60 (where honestly most street cars are utilized) will beat a Vette hands down unless (1) you have C-compound tires, and (2) you know how to shift.

Take a look at the 918. That is the most beautiful car I have ever laid my eyes on and cant wait till my 36 month wait is up; you only live once.
$630K
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Porsc...der-Price.html
I agree with the 918 being beautiful too

Last edited by 05dsom; 10-09-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:42 PM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by 05dsom
$630K
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Porsc...der-Price.html
I agree with the 918 being beautiful too
I have been told the price will come in about $80K less (from a very informed source) - I will take anything I can get.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Itiner
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would take the GT3 over the vette, any day, if the money wouldnt be an issue. Preferebli black with a lime green accents
Other models from Porsche im not interested. I personally think the GT3 is they best car .
Like i think the only Vette i would get into is a Z06, not even a ZR1.
Or like BMW only the M3 . Every car maker has they own flagship for me. There for i do respect most of the manufacturers. I have to say i do have a hard time with KIA though LOL

Rob
Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Itiner
Heel & Toe

"I view the 911 as the Vette of Europe - what else is there? "

well.... planty of other cars....
Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

I view the 911 as the Vette of Europe - what else is there? .
Plenty of cars! M and AMG models, lotus, etc. No wonder corvette is a very slow seller there.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:39 PM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Itiner
"I view the 911 as the Vette of Europe - what else is there? "

well.... planty of other cars....
Ok - the Cayman or Boxster. I dont know what other cars that perform as well as a Poorsche or Vette in a reaonable price range of ~ 100KUSD or less. Ok - maybe the Lotus but it dioes not perform as well as the vette or the porsche.

Cant think of any???? what else?
Old 10-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll take a 911 GT2 RS please. Raw power, RWD, no BS. That car is full of win!

-Alex
Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Id have a GT3 Porsche in a second if I could...

Toque

Maybe even the "Bandit Edition"
http://www.ridelust.com/2011-911-por...andit-edition/

Old 10-12-2010, 04:53 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
if you ant an ugly car with a lot of understeer that likes to spin out during hard braking, get a porsche. the handling of these cars is highly overrated. its just a bad design, but for some reason they have refused to change the design of the car for decades, and remain with the same problem. the 2010 911gt3 has a 39/61 f/r weight distribution. yuck!
I'll give you a reason: 27k. With that, I'll give you a hint: That's not how many Z06/ZR1's that GM sells in a year.
I agree that the design is flawed in some respects (while in others, it's better), but it takes considerable skill to master those flaws. And because the car is so involving in terms of feel, it makes it all the more rewarding, to some people. And it appears the newer cars aren't nearly as bad as older Porsches (or even as bad as some other cars). Watch @ 3:38 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBdGFTQ85Aw
It did well in cornering for the R&T test too.

As for the value aspect, Porsche have never been in the business of giving performance/$. With people paying premium prices for a premium marque that's above other premium marques like BMW/Audi/MB, why should they lower their prices? Put yourself in Porsche's shoes for a moment: Why would you charge less for a product when you know damn well people will pay more?
People with different incomes have a different perception of value. If a guy wants a nimble, small car like the Cayman (or one that can seat 4 in a pinch, the 911), that feels like an extension of his body, and also has great fit & finish and seats that don't leave him flapping around in high-g cornering, where is the value in having a Corvette? He can spend 50 grand on a Corvette and get a great performance bargain, but he's also just spent 50 grand on a car that doesn't fulfill what he wants in a car. Where is the value in that?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Millenium 04
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 3 vettes...loved them all.

As you get older it is nice to experience other attributes a car has to offer.

I picked up a 40K mile Boxster for 11K.......

It is refined, quick, and fun to drive....

My racing days are over anyway.

I like all cars....right now I just happen to drive a Porsche.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

It still amazes me all of the ignorant close minded people we have here when it comes to other types of cars.

Most of it comes from the owners of stock C5/C6's with auto transmissions..... while there is nothing wrong with an auto trans C5/C6 as long as the owner doesnt think he/she is driving anything more than a nice sport/touring coupe/vert. Chevy needs to get on board with a true sequential auto or Dual clutch auto trans as nearly every other manufacturer has for those of you that dont know how to drive with a 3rd pedal or just dont want to.

The people who knock cars like Porsche have never driven one or are very narrow closed minded and uneducated. Porsche has a very iconic history of fine engineered automobiles that have focused primarily on racing and performance (which is far more than I can say for Chevrolet as a whole car company). While I have never owned a Porsche I have been behind the wheel of quite a few, it is none other than an amazing car. Those of you knocking the Boxter..... while I do agree that it does get catagorized as a "chick" car along with cars like the beetle and Miata it is a very well balanced refined car that gives quite a bit of driver satisfaction...... not everything has to be fast in a straight line to be fun. As a true automotive enthusiast I can appreciate anything that is built to perform. I drive a C5 Z06 because it delivers the most bang for the buck and it fits my budget at this time, I have considered Porsche in the past and will likely consider it again down the road.... while the Z06 is a great performer it does leave alot on the table in terms of interior quality, fit/finish along with the laundry list of carry over items from the GM lineup (electronics etc....)..... and did I mention that the seats are cheap half vinyl and offer about as much support as a bench seat in a station wagon..... you would never find this kind of stuff in a car from Porsche.

I am in no real way knocking the corvette as I feel the items I mentioned are what keeps the price down (mass produced parts, cheap interior pieces etc....) and make the car a world class performer at a fraction of the price..... for those who want world class performace along with world class materials and the utmost attention to detail when it comes to fit/finish enter Porsche (or other european car company)

My purpose of this post is to educate those living under the "corvette" rock

Good Day
Old 10-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Well stated MVR but, I drive an auto C5 LOL. Anyway, I too love all types of fast cars. Don't tell anyone but... I'd take a GT2RS over a ZR1, YIKES!

-Alex
Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
Well stated MVR but, I drive an auto C5 LOL. Anyway, I too love all types of fast cars. Don't tell anyone but... I'd take a GT2RS over a ZR1, YIKES!

-Alex
Thanks for understanding..... once again I was not trying to take a dig at the C5/C6 cars with auto trans but simply stating the lion's share of the owners will never use the car for its intended purpose..... these are the owners who tend to make ignorant statements about anything other than what they drive.

While the ZR-1 is simply an amazing car, a good friend has one and I have some seat time in it I think I would also be leaning towards the GT2RS as its just a raw, down to business performer. At the end of the day its still hard to beat the ZR-1 when it comes to bang for the buck though

Get notified of new replies

To Porsches,,UGH!!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Right on

-Alex
Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I just recently read a comparison article in one of the car magazines and they did mention that the ZR1 got much more attention than did the 911 Turbo (which was slightly faster). This happened every where they went (in the US of course) and the ZR1 even had a lipstick print on its windshield at one stop. I attribute this to good old american pride and there's nothing wrong with that. When I was driving my 68 very cross-country in 85, I passed out a truckload of military guys who all either raised their fists or gave a thumbs-up as they yelled at the top of their lungs. Later, a carload of girls blew me kisses as they passed. The respect for Corvettes is not something you'll experience in a Porsche. You know what I mean if you have a Corvette and I think that's why I've been driving them for more than 31 years.

The problem I have with Porsches is the same problem I have with something like the Apple Ipad - WAY too much money for what you get. You can run up the final cost of a Boxster to almost $100,000 if you check all the boxes. That's just outrageous in my book.

Yes, they are nice cars and there will always be people who will buy new 911s for $150,000 but I just can't see myself as being one of them.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Itiner
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by PeterK
Plenty of cars! M and AMG models, lotus, etc. No wonder corvette is a very slow seller there.
well they mostly buying them because the value. It is cheaper and over perform most of them.
Also worth to mention the cars in EU are priced differently.
My Evo as it stands today exchage cost there : $61224.50...

So under the $100K to find the car is not imported over here by the manufacturer will be a hard tasks.

Quick Reply: Porsches,,UGH!!