Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Anyone want to see the Viper ACR pimp smack the Z06 like a street hoe...look here

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:45 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
This is a VERY important question.

Also, Z06 Z07 vs ACR might as well be apples vs oranges. This should have been the TA 2.0's battle, not the ACR's. The ACR should puppy-kick the Z07...it's WAY more of a track rat than the Z07. I would have been seriously disappointed if it hadn't beaten the Corvette handily.

Why is NOBODY testing the TA 2.0?
I hear what youre saying, however....MT decided to put up both manufacturers top track weapons, and we all know how GM advertised the new z....kind of apples to apples in some regards like this 1
Old 01-16-2016, 09:35 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

There is validity in the Z07 being apples to oranges versus ACR. ACR is substantially more expensive, while the TA is priced more in line with the z06/7. Z07 has a/c, big sound system, etc...as does the TA, while the ACR is a stripped down, big aero car with coilovers. I get that it's the "top of the line" vs "top of the line" but by that reasoning the Viper should be able to hang with a Mclaren P1.

I appreciate the ACR for what it is and what it isn't. Were Pratt and Miller contracted to put out the basic street equivalent to what they race in Tudor, using that aero package, some remote res coilovers, etc, no one can deny we'd have a different outcome here. It just isn't justifiable for GM to do that....they have to sell cars. ACR/TA...Viper in general, they aren't selling, so that suggests that the market for these extreme fringe type of vehicles SOUNDS like it's there, but it isn't really there in terms of buyers.

It is what it is. End of day, this 2016 Lemans...GM and Ford will be there, Dodge won't...shame. Hate to see the Viper not catch traction with at least a little larger audience. Coming in and out of production is no way to secure a future. Fans seem to be comfortable with the cycle, but I assure you, the people who build the Vipers would disagree about their job security.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:11 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RC000E
There is validity in the Z07 being apples to oranges versus ACR. ACR is substantially more expensive, while the TA is priced more in line with the z06/7. Z07 has a/c, big sound system, etc...as does the TA, while the ACR is a stripped down, big aero car with coilovers. I get that it's the "top of the line" vs "top of the line" but by that reasoning the Viper should be able to hang with a Mclaren P1.

I appreciate the ACR for what it is and what it isn't. Were Pratt and Miller contracted to put out the basic street equivalent to what they race in Tudor, using that aero package, some remote res coilovers, etc, no one can deny we'd have a different outcome here. It just isn't justifiable for GM to do that....they have to sell cars. ACR/TA...Viper in general, they aren't selling, so that suggests that the market for these extreme fringe type of vehicles SOUNDS like it's there, but it isn't really there in terms of buyers.

It is what it is. End of day, this 2016 Lemans...GM and Ford will be there, Dodge won't...shame. Hate to see the Viper not catch traction with at least a little larger audience. Coming in and out of production is no way to secure a future. Fans seem to be comfortable with the cycle, but I assure you, the people who build the Vipers would disagree about their job security.
For the most part, I agree with "mostly" all of this. It certainly is true there is just a very small market for the ACR, and in reality the Viper itself. I would have to disagree with "fans being comfortable" with this cycle as I am not myself. This would apply even if I didn't even own a Viper, but just being a car enthusiast, but do agree about the builders. I also don't see the ACR being "substantially" more expensive that the Z, but rather somewhat. In the end if Dodge isn't there, it certainly would be a shame and the same would apply to GM and Ford as well if applicable.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:13 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Anyone want to see the Viper ACR pimp smack the Z06 like a street hoe...look here

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
For the most part, I agree with "mostly" all of this. It certainly is true there is just a very small market for the ACR, and in reality the Viper itself. I would have to disagree with "fans being comfortable" with this cycle as I am not myself. This would apply even if I didn't even own a Viper, but just being a car enthusiast, but do agree about the builders. I also don't see the ACR being "substantially" more expensive that the Z, but rather somewhat. In the end if Dodge isn't there, it certainly would be a shame and the same would apply to GM and Ford as well if applicable.
The ACR starts almost $30k over the Z07... 30% more is pretty substantial.

Last edited by rjwz28; 01-16-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:21 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rjwz28
The ACR starts almost $30k over the Z07... 30% more is pretty substantial.
no real argument here.....I guess I feel when you're in the neighborhood of 100K, what's another 25K...?

The way I see it, is if you can afford a 100k car, the probability of you affording a 120-130K car is high....All subjective I guess

Last edited by Boba Fett; 01-16-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:34 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
no real argument here.....I guess I feel when you're in the neighborhood of 100K, what's another 25K...?

The way I see it, is if you can afford a 100k car, the probability of you affording a 120-130K car is high....All subjective I guess
figure a base z06 with Z07 package is around 92k.

So you can get a Z07 for well under 100k.

Still I agree if you can afford a car around the 100k mark, you can afford 130k probably.

I however feel the Viper scares people away priced the same as a Z06 or not. Its just little to radical/extreme. Most people are buying these corvettes for the street. Not to forget most owners are probably in their 50s and 60s. Looking to take their lady out to dinner on most drives.

If i was going for a track monster its viper, if i wanted a track ready, street ready car. Z06

Last edited by MikeLsx; 01-16-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:17 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Considering how many people on this forum have bought Z06's and, by various indicators can JUST afford it, I'm not so sure that 30k jump is so easy for people. By rights these are "poormans" supercars. These are working professionals...some even blue collar guys. Gm, in the past, has seen sales difficulties with the ZR1 jumping 30k...I don't think that 30k is that much of a given.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Considering how many people on this forum have bought Z06's and, by various indicators can JUST afford it, I'm not so sure that 30k jump is so easy for people. By rights these are "poormans" supercars. These are working professionals...some even blue collar guys. Gm, in the past, has seen sales difficulties with the ZR1 jumping 30k...I don't think that 30k is that much of a given.
Agreed
Old 01-17-2016, 10:49 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

The question was asked about the Laguna test to Tadge...voting is up...if you can take a minute to vote

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ry-2016-a.html
Old 01-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The question was asked about the Laguna test to Tadge...voting is up...if you can take a minute to vote

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ry-2016-a.html
I voted, thanks for the link. I am also curious about the 190mph claimed limit. Is that on the Stingray or ZO6? Is that electronically limited?

-Alex
Old 01-17-2016, 04:52 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

That particular incident occurred on a Z51 car.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:14 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon.
To be fair, the ACR lucked out they didn't use the C7Z C7R edition.
I don't know what's funnier this statement or the dummies that think you were being serious. Good trolling on that one
Old 01-18-2016, 06:51 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

If your post is gone..........I suggest you keep out the personal attacks and stick to the thread discussion
Old 01-20-2016, 04:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
Exactly!

GM marketing was set to advertise the C7Z as a track beast with creature comforts, period. That's why they put 0-60 times, horsepower, magnetic suspension, carbon brakes etc in the marketing. You don't see GM pushing, seat warmers, dual zone climate control and crap like that.

The Corvette is never going to be the fastest car out there. But it would be nice if it could run hard AND be reliable like the previous generation cars. Hell the LS1 C5 I had, I drove the **** out of that car as a DD for 5 years and only developed an engine problem after 140k miles.

-Alex
A friend has a 2004 C5 Z06 that is his daily driver. He drives the car(and has tracked it) and it has a little over 210,000 miles with no problems.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-24-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I love seeing people drive the hell out of them. I knew this guy in Pa that has daily'd his C5Z since new...I'm talking snow and all. Thing is super clean still and has to have a TON of miles on it.

Quick Reply: Anyone want to see the Viper ACR pimp smack the Z06 like a street hoe...look here