Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

What do you think about electric cars being faster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 02:18 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,036 Likes on 2,908 Posts

I think the "C8 2.8 second 0-60 mph" claim by GM, is now dead in the water.

😁
Attached Images  

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 07-10-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SL41
there isn't a road course that EV has faster lap time vs the top tier super cars.

the physics never lies, extra 1500lb doesn't equal to performance, can't turn, can't stop, runs out of charge before the end of the race, or takes forever to charge the battery....etc lol when Telsa starts winning 12 hours of Sebring or 24 hours of Le mans or Daytona then you can call them fast. right now any car that is in these races will beat a telsa model S plaid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nLLGxRJwB0
You might want to rethink that. Check out Randy Pobst' Pikes Peak road course in a Tesla Plaid.....😁
Old 07-10-2021, 04:24 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

😁
Like anything Tesla claims, usually comes with an asterisk https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp
Old 07-10-2021, 04:27 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

😁
So the electric car has to rely on “rocket thrusters”…
Kinda answers that question
Old 07-11-2021, 12:20 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majestic94
Like anything Tesla claims, usually comes with an asterisk https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp
Just as GM's "claim" does.....😆
Old 07-11-2021, 12:23 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

So the electric car has to rely on “rocket thrusters”…
Kinda answers that question
A simple EV rocket 1.1 sec 0-60 mph bothers you??!😆😁🙃 ZLOL!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 07-11-2021 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:38 AM
aqn
6th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
And that right there is the Achilles heel of EV's. Charging time. I timed myself from the time I entered the driveway until I pulled back out into the street, and it took me 4 minutes and 54 seconds.
It takes me 15 seconds to charge my EV: the total time it takes to pop the charge hatch and plug in. Unlike having to stand around waiting for my ICE car to get filled up, I don't actually sit there and watch my EV get charged. 😄

Also, people need to regard EVs like cell phones when it comes to energy use & refill. I use my phone, I plug it in, I use it some more. Simple and non-time consuming. It's not exactly planning a moon shot. If one constantly needs to plug the phone in when out of the house, then an EV is prob not a good idea.

Last edited by aqn; 07-11-2021 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:50 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,830 Posts

😁
Gonna be honest, that's probably VERY illegal. I doubt those cars will be able to be licensed for road use if they actually do use this whole thruster idea. I'm pretty sure there's something about cars not being allowed to shoot out bursts of air at 1500mph for propulsion. That's fast enough to damage cars, let alone pick up a rock nearby or a bug and launch it through the skull of the driver of the car behind it.

But Musk is a God to some of the crazy morons out there and they will worship him as such.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:34 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,076 Likes on 595 Posts

aqn : It takes me 15 seconds to charge my EV: the total time it takes to pop the charge hatch and plug in. Unlike having to stand around waiting for my ICE car to get filled up, I don't actually sit there and watch my EV get charged. 😄

Also, people need to regard EVs like cell phones when it comes to energy use & refill. I use my phone, I plug it in, I use it some more. Simple and non-time consuming. It's not exactly planning a moon shot. If one constantly needs to plug the phone in when out of the house, then an EV is prob not a good idea.
Really? I'm impressed!

​​​​​​​
Old 07-11-2021, 08:36 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

A simple EV rocket 1.1 sec 0-60 mph bothers you??!😆😁🙃 ZLOL!
Its not an “EV rocket”. It’s a rocket on an EV. Cause that’s what you do when you can’t get an EV to move fast enough. Put a rocket on a school bus and it’s fast too.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:45 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

😁
Pssh. That's old technology.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:51 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by aqn
It takes me 15 seconds to charge my EV: the total time it takes to pop the charge hatch and plug in. Unlike having to stand around waiting for my ICE car to get filled up, I don't actually sit there and watch my EV get charged. 😄

Until you have to stand around for five hours waiting for your turn on a charger while on a road trip.

Electric motors are great. Batteries suck, and fuel cells suck worse.

Last edited by sstonebreaker; 07-12-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:21 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Actually the real picture in your "favorite scenario" is people lined up at gas stations and filling jugs with gas - shows on the news every single time. The EV owner will simply leave their house with a full charge and drive 300 miles away into safety.
Does that include times when the owners house (AND city) don't have power?

Originally Posted by msm859
So to your time you need to add up ALL the time during a year that you drive to a gas station, wait in line, process payment etc. Total time per year? Vs. total time charging an EV. Most of the time it takes 5 seconds to plug in at home and 5 seconds to unplug. Unless you do frequent long distance driving your total time filling up an ICE will far exceed charging an EV. Should also consider the additional costs with an ICE. For July 4th drove 100 miles to Sacramento and parked in the parking structure in old town. Had free charging. So while we are watching fireworks our car is charging - for free and no time lost.
Who the hell waits in line to pay for gas? This isn't 1962 anymore.
-AND-
Just because YOU didn't have to pay for it, doesn't mean it is FREE. Electricity comes from somewhere...and that somewhere incurs cost. EV owners think they're doing something good with their vehicle selection...it's laughable at best.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:37 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by CWF
I always thought an electric would have to be a second car due to road trips but I don't think you need an eight hour charge anymore. Tesla's have the supercharging stations in the car's database and if you are traveling on the interstate it's likely one is on your route and you may normally only need 45 min to an hour. Still would annoy me though.
I have no experience with lithium batteries, but do with satellite nickel-cadium batteries. NiCads like to be charged relatively slowly, at least at a slow enough rate that they do not start to warm due to ohmic heating. NiCads cool when proper recharged. Rapid discharge is to be greatly limited. High discharge currents cause large current densities at the plates with result in wearout erosion of the plates. Throughout their life, NiCads like to stay cool, a few degrees above 32 degrees F up to about 55 degrees F. This extends their lifetime.....and the main lifetime limiting factor is depth of discharge, DOD...........This I do know of lithium batteries, they too thrive for longivity by maintaining DOD between 20% and 80%. Note that if you have a Tesla that advertises a 300 mile range.....this apparently is the range resulting from charging to 100% and discharging to 0%. Keeping DOD within best longivity limits results in a 160 mile range. I feel pretty confident that operating the Tesla battery at maximum discharge rates i.e. drag racing, means plate errosion due to high discharge plate current densities is harmful to the battery lifetime.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:26 AM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I have no experience with lithium batteries, but do with satellite nickel-cadium batteries. NiCads like to be charged relatively slowly, at least at a slow enough rate that they do not start to warm due to ohmic heating. NiCads cool when proper recharged. Rapid discharge is to be greatly limited. High discharge currents cause large current densities at the plates with result in wearout erosion of the plates. Throughout their life, NiCads like to stay cool, a few degrees above 32 degrees F up to about 55 degrees F. This extends their lifetime.....and the main lifetime limiting factor is depth of discharge, DOD...........This I do know of lithium batteries, they too thrive for longivity by maintaining DOD between 20% and 80%. Note that if you have a Tesla that advertises a 300 mile range.....this apparently is the range resulting from charging to 100% and discharging to 0%. Keeping DOD within best longivity limits results in a 160 mile range. I feel pretty confident that operating the Tesla battery at maximum discharge rates i.e. drag racing, means plate errosion due to high discharge plate current densities is harmful to the battery lifetime.
Lithium has the same limitations.
Things that shorten EV battery life are keeping the charge too long at 0% or 100%, frequent deep discharge cycles, frequent supercharging, and exposure to too high or too low ambient temperatures.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...ks-advice/amp/

A battery with a 300 mile range gets reduced to 240 miles if you adhere to charging to 80% to lengthen the life of the battery. If it’s cold weather, it can be reduced by another 50% leaving you with 120 miles. Add in some aging over 5 -6 years and your original 300 mile range could drop to below 100 miles.

There’s a lot of information withheld when companies advertise things like 0-60 times or fast charging or extended ranges. Faster charging, long ranges, and racing is possible but at the expense of battery life. EV warranties generally warranty the fact the battery will continue to propel the car, not guarantee a range.

Another risk of lithium is battery fires. Small imperfections in manufacturing can cause a thermal runaway event months or years later. The risk is lower the higher the cell quality, but even at 99.9% quality, the .1% adds up when you make billions of cells per year with EV’s using up most of them just for the occasional long trip.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:55 AM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by aqn

Chevy bolt owners have been told to not charge their car in a garage and should be supervised as they are catching on fire. How ridiculous they make crap like this and put it out into the market.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:53 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sprayer
Chevy bolt owners have been told to not charge their car in a garage and should be supervised as they are catching on fire. How ridiculous they make crap like this and put it out into the market.
That’s honestly a risk with all EV’s.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you think about electric cars being faster?

Old 07-17-2021, 05:24 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CWF
I have a C3 and a C5 (purchased new in 1998) in my garage and have a deposit down on a new C8. Now I know I'm going to get a bunch of crap for saying this but I keep wondering if I am going to be sorry now that some electric cars are faster than our beloved Vettes and, am I buying into a dying technology.

Change my mind...this ought to be good.

Two totally different cars that are not really even comparible in my opinion. Yes, on the street and in most drag race scenarios most Tesla's will spank anything on the road, but having owned both a 650rwhp C5 and a Tesla Model 3 at the same time they served completely different purposes to me.

I'd say own both!
Old 07-17-2021, 06:17 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

That’s honestly a risk with all EV’s.
True, but it is happening to one brand at the moment. I am not a fan of Tesla but have Tesla issued that warning to customers also, and are they catching on fire?
Old 07-17-2021, 06:59 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

That’s honestly a risk with all cars.
Fixed it for ya'

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/in...utomaker-says/

https://www.abcactionnews.com/money/...wn-family-home

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/new...isk/index.html
About 174,000 vehicle fires were reported in the United States in 2015, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the National Fire Protection Association. Virtually all of those fires involved gasoline powered cars. That works out to about one every three minutes.

Quick Reply: What do you think about electric cars being faster?