i'm squeaking - need recommendations - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

i'm squeaking - need recommendations

Old 05-14-2010, 10:05 PM
  #1  
YNOT2K
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
YNOT2K's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Granite Falls WA
Posts: 1,139
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default i'm squeaking - need recommendations

my y2k C5 coupe started squeaking today.

obviously coming from the belts. i see a bit of wobble in the balancer. i know this is a common problem and am ready to get it fixed now.

i have replaced the idler pulleys and the belt already so i don't think the squeak is coming from them.

I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT TO A DEALERSHIP!

looking for a local corvette knowledgable mechanic to do the work. i plan to buy a Powerbond 25% underive pulley and have it pinned when installed.

any recommendations for someone local to do the work?

thanks,

jeff
YNOT2K is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 11:55 PM
  #2  
tomZ51
CF Senior Member
 
tomZ51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Posts: 528
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Oil seems to stop most squeeks!
tomZ51 is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 12:32 AM
  #3  
jrprich
CF Senior Member
 
jrprich's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Hillsboro Oregon
Posts: 5,571
Thanked 167 Times in 153 Posts
Default

"looking for a local corvette knowledgable mechanic"

TJ Wong is your man

do a search for member tjwong
jrprich is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 02:58 AM
  #4  
Mr. Peabody
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Mr. Peabody's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Everett WA
Posts: 6,892
Thanked 136 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Jeff

If you're looking for someone local try www.bradscustomauto.com

They specialize in corvettes & mustangs and always have corvettes in their shop.

I've had my car serviced there for the past 5 years. Having the steering rack replaced next week.

Mark
Mr. Peabody is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 03:31 AM
  #5  
vettedan
CF Senior Member
 
vettedan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Auburn WA
Posts: 1,755
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YNOT2K View Post
my y2k C5 coupe started squeaking today.

obviously coming from the belts. i see a bit of wobble in the balancer. i know this is a common problem and am ready to get it fixed now.

i have replaced the idler pulleys and the belt already so i don't think the squeak is coming from them.

I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT TO A DEALERSHIP!

looking for a local corvette knowledgable mechanic to do the work. i plan to buy a Powerbond 25% underive pulley and have it pinned when installed.

any recommendations for someone local to do the work?

thanks,

jeff
Isolate the problem. Remove the serpentine belt(s) and see if the noise stops. If this sound persists, I have seen bad roller lifters and loose dampener pulleys make this noise.
Dan
Vetteworks
3290 B ST NW #A
Auburn, WA
253-223-4968
www.vetteworksonline.com
vettedan is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 11:45 AM
  #6  
YNOT2K
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
YNOT2K's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Granite Falls WA
Posts: 1,139
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vettedan View Post
Isolate the problem. Remove the serpentine belt(s) and see if the noise stops. If this sound persists, I have seen bad roller lifters and loose dampener pulleys make this noise.
Dan
Vetteworks
3290 B ST NW #A
Auburn, WA
253-223-4968
www.vetteworksonline.com
i'll have time to do this today but i have a question -

i know i can take off the lower belt (the ac belt right?) and the car will run without it. but i'm not sure about the upper belt - can i start and run the car without the upper belt?

jeff
YNOT2K is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 12:59 PM
  #7  
tjwong
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
tjwong's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2003
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 8,579
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YNOT2K View Post
i'll have time to do this today but i have a question -

i know i can take off the lower belt (the ac belt right?) and the car will run without it. but i'm not sure about the upper belt - can i start and run the car without the upper belt?

jeff
Jeff, you can run it without the main belt, but not for very long. It drives the alternator and more importantly the water pump. So you can start it, idle it and listen. A easier way to check is to take a spray bottle with water in it, spray while its running and see if the noise changes.

From what I have seen, all stock LS balancers will have some wobble, however if it looks like its wobbling a quarter inch or more that is not normal. You should be able to see a slight run out.
tjwong is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 09:36 PM
  #8  
YNOT2K
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
YNOT2K's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Granite Falls WA
Posts: 1,139
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

hmmm

it's certainly not wobbling 1/4". not even close to that much.

i pulled the belts and the squeak stopped. i put the alternator/waterpump belt back on and no squeak. i then added the lower a/c belt and.......no squeak????

did i fix it?? should i go into business as a corvette mechanic?

or....is my car possessed?

jeff

Last edited by YNOT2K; 05-15-2010 at 09:39 PM.
YNOT2K is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 AM
  #9  
Sox-Fan
CF Senior Member
 
Sox-Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Mt. Pleasant S.C.
Posts: 2,179
Thanked 112 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody View Post
Jeff

If you're looking for someone local try www.bradscustomauto.com

They specialize in corvettes & mustangs and always have corvettes in their shop.

I've had my car serviced there for the past 5 years. Having the steering rack replaced next week.

Mark

I've had them work on my '04 when I had it (on Mark's recommendation) and was really pleased. They're near you. Call them.
Sox-Fan is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 AM
  #10  
tjwong
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
tjwong's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2003
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 8,579
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YNOT2K View Post
hmmm

it's certainly not wobbling 1/4". not even close to that much.

i pulled the belts and the squeak stopped. i put the alternator/waterpump belt back on and no squeak. i then added the lower a/c belt and.......no squeak????

did i fix it?? should i go into business as a corvette mechanic?

or....is my car possessed?

jeff
Jeff, also it could be the AC idler or the tensioner pulleys, I repalce those pulleys all the time, especially cars with 50k plus miles on them. How did the belts look? Were they glazed on the ribbed side?
tjwong is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM
  #11  
vettedan
CF Senior Member
 
vettedan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Auburn WA
Posts: 1,755
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tjwong View Post
Jeff, also it could be the AC idler or the tensioner pulleys, I repalce those pulleys all the time, especially cars with 50k plus miles on them. How did the belts look? Were they glazed on the ribbed side?
I would agree. We have replace a few tensioner pulleys.
Dan
vettedan is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 PM
  #12  
YNOT2K
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
YNOT2K's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Granite Falls WA
Posts: 1,139
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tjwong View Post
Jeff, also it could be the AC idler or the tensioner pulleys, I repalce those pulleys all the time, especially cars with 50k plus miles on them. How did the belts look? Were they glazed on the ribbed side?
tom,

all pulleys and belts were replace last fall. the belts look brand new, no glazing. maybe one of the tensioner or idler pulleys is the culprit. no squeaking this morning on cold start, but i did not drive it to work. i'll try another start this afternoon and if i see any change i'll post up.

i looked closely at the balancer this morning too - i would estimate that it runs out less than 1/16" TIR. i also wanted to check to see if it was backing off, if the bolt had failed. unfortunately, i don't know enough about what it's supposed to look like to know if it's wrong, so i couldn't tell.

i think i'm at the point now were i'm stumped.

thanks to everyone who posted. i may not have answered all of you but i read every post and i really appreciate your help and advice.

jeff
YNOT2K is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i'm squeaking - need recommendations


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: