Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

body repairs

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
billlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body repairs

I have an 81 vette, was put in a ditch and cracked all 4 corners of the body 3 of the cracks are behind the bonding strips, can the bs be removed and reused? the cracks do not go all the way through the smc so does the back of the pannel need to be reworked? piece of advise don't let your kids play with your toys,,,the get broken
Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need detail photos from varying angles to see what and where. This is not the type of question which can be answered well just by describing the damage.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:53 PM
billlee
Instructor

here is the link for photos
Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 PM
billlee
Instructor

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv321/billlee_photo/
here is the link for photos
Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

It doesn't look that bad. As long as the bonding strips are still firmly attached I would grind out the seam-filler and glass the seams and not worry about the strips.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

From what I can see, I agree with Zwede. A nice looking repair will probably require a full strip, glass and repaint though... a shame since the car appeared to be nice before the accident. Was there any floor/frame/suspension damage as well?

Last edited by markids77; 10-28-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent you two PM's
Call me and we can I will give you my advice. It is repairable....but will take patience and time.
"DUB"
Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM
billlee
Instructor

the bs's are still in place except the fr popped loose right at the end(nose) the frame ext was bent as well as the frame horns, shifted up and over about an inch and a half
Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

I know you really like the car because you wish to repair it....is it special enough to go through all that pain?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 PM
billlee
Instructor

yes, the car is worth it to me, i know it is a total because of cost but it has meaning aside from the money
Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

OK. Be certain to do all of the frame work and any mechanical repair including a 4 wheel alignment before you start the body repairs. It sucks to have a wrench slip, or have a crack reappear while doing a pull on a frame rail. Ditto getting grease all over either bare primer, or your shiny new repaint. I hope it comes out better than pre ditch, and let us see the progress!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:08 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

...Have your frame and mechanical done first.

There is one quick easy check point of frame to body alignment that you can do. Remove both door sill plates and pull back the carpet slightly...and there SHOULD be ORANGE plastic plugs inserted into the area that was covered by the carpet. They are about the diameter of a DIME.

PULL OUT the front left one and the right rear one...and look down through the hole and see if your frame is still lined up with the body. You should be able to see straight down to the ground...due to the alignment hole in the frame...goes all the way through the frame. This is the area... when bodies are being attached..dowel pins are used to make sure that the body is sguare to the frame. IF your accident hit the frame hard enough. IT IS possible that these points are now out of whack...slightly. Something to check BEFORE any frame straightening is performed. And something to check AFTER it is straightened.
"DUB"
Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 PM
billlee
Instructor

thanks, having the frame work done this next weekend, thanks for all the help, thanks for the phone dub didn't mean to hang up, cell service died. Dub, if you wouldn't mind could you post the products for my repair as you told me on the phone, I know many amatures in this area have a hard time finding this info. again thanks for all the help, I'll post pics of progress later
Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Good Luck!
That's my favorite two-tone Corvette. We need to keep those two-tone Clarets on the road!!!
JU
Old 12-06-2009, 02:29 AM
billlee
Instructor

OK, its back from frme work, and glass work has begun, will post pics soon. I'm using evercoat resin and smc pannel adheasive for the repairs, any quirks about these products i should worrie about?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:03 AM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by billlee
OK, its back from frme work, and glass work has begun, will post pics soon. I'm using evercoat resin and smc pannel adheasive for the repairs, any quirks about these products i should worrie about?
The evercoat SMC resin is a bit touchy. If laminating is to be done it is better to use the WEST system. The problems with the Evercoat SMC resin (that I have run into) is that the surface needs to be really clean (such as with acetone) BEFORE laminating. Sometimes the resin does not want to "bite" correctly due to surface contaminents.

As for the SMC panel adhesive. Just remeber it is an ADHESIVE...and not a FILLER. It is designed to be used for BONDING. Thus...very thin applications generally will not cure. FOLLOW the directions...to the letter... on the can and you should be OK. The more of the SMC adhesive you apply (thickness) the better it will cure. Try not to get to much less than the thickness of a standard wood paint stick if at all possible. So paper thin applications will not set up due to there is not enough adhesive to provide the curing process.

Also remember...that in any laminating or bonding repair. The cleaner the repair area is, (free from dust, dirt, undercoat, paint, moisture or whatever) the better the bond will be. Excellent repairs are all about PROPER PREP, using good MATERIALS and following PROCEDURES that are outilned by the manufacturer to ensure that the product will deliver its intended designed capability.

When those people...who have not tested products that they are using...and choose to alter the procedures...without these tests...usually end up with a repair that is sub-standard...and fails.

Short-cuts taken...because people do not want to take the time or allow the product to preform as designed because they are impatient,
usually end up with a problem unless they have discussed the effects with those who are QUALIFIED and do this for a living and KNOW what can happen. There are short-cuts out there...but when it comes to structural repairs that you want SOLID and NOT coming back. Why take the chance and press your luck.
"DUB"
Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Make sure the work area is warm enough for the chemical hardening to take place. I would heat the space 24/7 until the repairs are complete. Wear a good dust mask, and invest in some Tyvek or similar throw away coveralls. You do not want to bring all that 'glass dust into your home.

Get notified of new replies

To body repairs

Old 12-06-2009, 03:10 PM
billlee
Instructor

Thanks guys, dub, i'd love to use west products but no dealers in my area, i'll send you some pics soon about have the front finished. Mark you're right i haven't forgotten all the fun of glass dust,,,and i still don't miss it. I'm using a heater on all repairs untill hard cure and working small areas it's slow but it works very well and i have lots of time since winter has arrived. A side note for those doing body work,,,long boards a skill earned,,but nothing beats the end results.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:05 PM
derekd8915
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grandmastercorvette
The evercoat SMC resin is a bit touchy. If laminating is to be done it is better to use the WEST system. The problems with the Evercoat SMC resin (that I have run into) is that the surface needs to be really clean (such as with acetone) BEFORE laminating. Sometimes the resin does not want to "bite" correctly due to surface contaminents.

As for the SMC panel adhesive. Just remeber it is an ADHESIVE...and not a FILLER. It is designed to be used for BONDING. Thus...very thin applications generally will not cure. FOLLOW the directions...to the letter... on the can and you should be OK. The more of the SMC adhesive you apply (thickness) the better it will cure. Try not to get to much less than the thickness of a standard wood paint stick if at all possible. So paper thin applications will not set up due to there is not enough adhesive to provide the curing process.

Also remember...that in any laminating or bonding repair. The cleaner the repair area is, (free from dust, dirt, undercoat, paint, moisture or whatever) the better the bond will be. Excellent repairs are all about PROPER PREP, using good MATERIALS and following PROCEDURES that are outilned by the manufacturer to ensure that the product will deliver its intended designed capability.

When those people...who have not tested products that they are using...and choose to alter the procedures...without these tests...usually end up with a repair that is sub-standard...and fails.

Short-cuts taken...because people do not want to take the time or allow the product to preform as designed because they are impatient,
usually end up with a problem unless they have discussed the effects with those who are QUALIFIED and do this for a living and KNOW what can happen. There are short-cuts out there...but when it comes to structural repairs that you want SOLID and NOT coming back. Why take the chance and press your luck.
"DUB"
bump
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Why are you bringing back these old threads???

DUB

Quick Reply: body repairs