Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C4 Body Repair Help (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:11 PM
84drb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C4 Body Repair Help (Pics)

I have an 84 corvette that ive had for about 2 years now, and I would really like to repaint it. It has sentimental value to me and so selling and finding a better one isn't a choice. Its gonna need a lot of sanding and man hours prepping the body, but some of these things I don't know how to fix...and that's why im here. I have found out that it has been in an accident and so there's even more work to fix correctly, but im willing to put in the time and money. Here are pics of what im working with.

Last edited by 84drb; 04-16-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
84drb
Instructor

Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Looks like the car has a lot of paint on it. My 87 had 5 layers I sanded it down to naked glass. Very time consuming. It took a lot of time and sandpaper. Your front bumper may be a problem. Pretty wavy. Mine was not that bad. I had it soda blasted to remove all the paint. To make it nice you may want to replace it.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:22 AM
84drb
Instructor

Well i cant say thats what i wanted to hear, haha. I know the bumpers need replaced for a nice turn out...but it also has 121,xxx on it and its nearly a daily driver, so perfection is not an issue.

I guess my main concern is....how do i fix the big crack? and how do you fill in chipped out areas?

Thanks for the reply.
-84DRB
Old 04-17-2010, 10:09 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"The fix" here is to remove the quarter inch of paint it already has on it, correct any cracks and dings with an epoxy resin and fiberglass mat, then seal, prime, block and repaint. From your photos it looks to me like there is really so much paint already on the car your options are slim, even if perfection is not an issue. The checking, peeling and chunking you show will happen in other places because the film is failing on the car... and adding another layer of paint on top won't help matters at all. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but you did ask; and if the car is special to you, it's probably worth the effort and expense.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by markids77
"The fix" here is to remove the quarter inch of paint it already has on it, correct any cracks and dings with an epoxy resin and fiberglass mat, then seal, prime, block and repaint. From your photos it looks to me like there is really so much paint already on the car your options are slim, even if perfection is not an issue. The checking, peeling and chunking you show will happen in other places because the film is failing on the car... and adding another layer of paint on top won't help matters at all. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but you did ask; and if the car is special to you, it's probably worth the effort and expense.
ENOUGH SAID and could not have said it better myself!!!! There is NO short-cut to fixing the issues of the "popping" off paint. Especially in the photo's ( which were a great help to us) to HELP giving you proper direction in getting it done correctly and minimizing any possible problems in the future.

Oh...by the way....IF you choose to chemically strip the paint off after using other methods ( i.e.: razor blades, heat gun, etc)....make sure that you do not allow the stripper top get into any "suspected cracks" in the body. Tape over them to keep them protected and prep them accordingly AFTER all chemical stripping is completed.

And another word from an experienced Corvette restorer....Do not look at the WHOLE car...it can give you the feeling of hopelessness and becoming overwhelmed. Just work on one panel at a time. Just one panel. When you get it to perfection...move to the next panel. Before you know it...it is stripped and perfect. Which is alot better way of doinig it than going in like a "blaze of glory" and having a bunch of panels only partially completed and you are beginning to get tired of the whole process and quit BECAUSE nothing is completed.

The choice is yours and are advice is free.

"DUB"
Old 04-18-2010, 08:59 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

And another word from an experienced Corvette restorer....Do not look at the WHOLE car...it can give you the feeling of hopelessness and becoming overwhelmed. Just work on one panel at a time. Just one panel. When you get it to perfection...move to the next panel. Before you know it...it is stripped and perfect. Which is alot better way of doinig it than going in like a "blaze of glory" and having a bunch of panels only partially completed and you are beginning to get tired of the whole process and quit BECAUSE nothing is completed.

The choice is yours and are advice is free.

"DUB"

Best advice ever. I never thought to put it in those words but thats how I did mine. (didnt actually achieve perfection but it looks good) Applies to any paint project.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:39 PM
84drb
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that a panel at a time was the best way too, ive had many projects were attacking it all at once drives me to give up. Ill keep the chemical stripping info in mind. I think im going to hold off on stripping it for a couple of months, but when I do im going to take it slow and easy and make sure to do it right.
Thanks Again.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Body Repair Help (Pics)

Quick Reply: C4 Body Repair Help (Pics)