Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Chipping/peeling C4

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 06:06 PM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Chipping/peeling C4

So I figured I'll post this here and hopefully get a little more specific responses than in the C4 general section.

Anyways I finally bought my C4 and love it! The body definitely needs some help and since it's a project car I'd like to learn how to do some fiberglass work by doing it myself.

Those are pictures of the damage, clearly not good. I believe it was created from incorrect care, which resulted in small chips, which were not fixed correctly and then leading to the current state.

Basically I'm looking for how to get this done the right way. Sand down to new fibers, add fiber and resin and then seal with a specific epoxy compound is the jist of what I've seen online. I'm looking to get some more details on the exact process for you guys.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YEAH...This is PRETTY BAD...especially what I see in your first photo where the fibers of the SMC are actually delaminating from itself.

This is repairable...and i am assuming that it is a 1993 or there abouts.

How much information do you need???

DUB
Old 05-26-2016, 06:59 PM
hockeyhead019
Racer

It's a 92, and DUB treat me like I've never done any body work lol
Old 05-26-2016, 07:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
It's a 92, and DUB treat me like I've never done any body work lol
OK..I will

Do you have the needed tools to do this???

Do you have an area that is out of the weather to work on this???

Is this the only panel with this type of damage???

DUB
Old 05-26-2016, 08:48 PM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
OK..I will

Do you have the needed tools to do this???

Do you have an area that is out of the weather to work on this???

Is this the only panel with this type of damage???

DUB
1. Not entirely sure what I'll need besides sand paper and the SMC compatible fiber and resin.
2. Yes I do and it'll be there all winter so if it's better to wait and tackle then I'll do that while I research/learn
3. Yes, the passenger side door is oxidated from the sun beating down on it but this is the only area with fiberglass damage

Another thing I want to know is the right and the wrong way to doing this and what the issues are with doing it the wrong way. Not to be blunt, but the car isn't going to be a show car. I DD it right now and am just looking to have some fun and maybe look going from 10ft away. Just so we know what the end goal is.

Last edited by hockeyhead019; 05-27-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:21 AM
hockeyhead019
Racer

bump

@DUB any epoxy compounds you recommend? I've been doing more reading and people state the best way to do it is sand down to new fiber and rebuild using an epoxy/gel style material that has fibers in the gel itself. I was thinking this might be easier for a beginner than working with the actual fiber mats that I've seen?

Any other help is appreciated
Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Another thing I want to know is the right and the wrong way to doing this and what the issues are with doing it the wrong way.
OK
Not to be blunt, but the car isn't going to be a show car.
I can respect that.
I DD it right now and am just looking to have some fun and maybe look going from 10ft away. Just so we know what the end goal is.

Here is where I have an issue. And to be honest...this is why I did not respond to this post the next day. Right is right----wrong is wrong....and making it be OK at 10 feet away is....uhhhh...not right.
bump

@DUB any epoxy compounds you recommend? I've been doing more reading and people state the best way to do it is sand down to new fiber and rebuild using an epoxy/gel style material that has fibers in the gel itself. I was thinking this might be easier for a beginner than working with the actual fiber mats that I've seen?

Any other help is appreciated
OK...I suppose the gel with the fiber would work.,...BUT ...not every area is the same on the outside of the body. So....if the damaged area is NOT in an area of stress where I want to make sure the panel is strong...I might use the gel stuff if I used it (which I don't). But you can obviously do as you wish

When it comes to applying a product to the exterior of a Corvette. I am rather picky on what I put on it....SO...I do not have a problem and then have to rework it all over again because I used something that made it easier on me initially. WHICH...comes back and haunts me and makes me realize I am losing time and money and NOW the amount of time and effort is now greater than if I did it how I knew I needed to do it in the first place. I do not have the luxury in NOT repairing a defect. I do this for a living and I HAVE TO repair it under my guarantee.

Now some of these nifty products I will use ....but that is on the underside of a panel where it can not effect my paint work.

I would use the WEST SYSTEMS epoxy resin and laminate mat and the resin on these areas...then grind that down and then skim coat it with Vette Panel Adhesive so NONE of my laminations are exposed.

And...if you are nervous in laminating this....you can PM me and I can get you my shop number and I can walk you through HOW to laminate ...because SO MANY people think you saturate it til its dripping wet and slap the stuff on and that is good enough. Which in 'their world'...that may be just fine and dandy...but in my world...that just does not fly at all.

If you are just wanting to 'do it' so it looks good 10 feet away...then I AM NOT the guy to tell you how to do that. I am not expecting all cars are perfect 'trailer queens'...but at least I would like the person takes the time and gives it their best and NOT settle for a repair that is....needing a bit more effort.

DUB
Old 06-07-2016, 07:42 AM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
I do this for a living and I HAVE TO repair it under my guarantee.

This part I forgot and should have expected these answers from somebody who does this for a living instead of myself who's a weekend wrencher. Not a bad thing you gave it to me straight just wasn't in the front of my mind

I would use the WEST SYSTEMS epoxy resin and laminate mat and the resin on these areas...then grind that down and then skim coat it with Vette Panel Adhesive so NONE of my laminations are exposed.

I'll check these out today

And...if you are nervous in laminating this....you can PM me and I can get you my shop number and I can walk you through HOW to laminate ...because SO MANY people think you saturate it til its dripping wet and slap the stuff on and that is good enough. Which in 'their world'...that may be just fine and dandy...but in my world...that just does not fly at all.

I really appreciate this, regardless of whether I utilize it or not it is a very nice and appreciated gesture.

If you are just wanting to 'do it' so it looks good 10 feet away...then I AM NOT the guy to tell you how to do that. I am not expecting all cars are perfect 'trailer queens'...but at least I would like the person takes the time and gives it their best and NOT settle for a repair that is....needing a bit more effort.

It will by no means end up a trailer queen but I do hope it comes out well. Even if it isn't perfect I'll be much happier to say I did it myself than had somebody else do it.
DUB
All that said, I guess lets get to it. The project won't start for a few months still but I'd like to start preparing a game plan/materials for what this is going to take. I have a small air compressor if sanding with that is an option. If not I can tackle it by hand. I have a covered area. I'll research those materials you mentioned earlier.

I assume the correct way to do this would be sand that whole panel down to the fiber glass, repair damage, sand down to "shape" and then seal? Hopefully I'm at least on the right track with those steps
Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Dub is the expert here and with his help you can repair that panel.
Just a consideration, there is a new rear quarter for sale in the C4 section for $100 plus shipping.
Might be a better alternative than all that repair work?
I replaced a rear quarter on mine and it isn't that hard

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ter-panel.html

Old 06-07-2016, 02:08 PM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Originally Posted by SuperL98
Dub is the expert here and with his help you can repair that panel.
Just a consideration, there is a new rear quarter for sale in the C4 section for $100 plus shipping.
Might be a better alternative than all that repair work?
I replaced a rear quarter on mine and it isn't that hard

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ter-panel.html

Dude awesome find! I'll check it out
Old 06-07-2016, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

This is obviously an aftermarket quarter panel....and my primary concern it at the front of the quarter panel where it will meet up with the door....there is supposed to be a flange that would go UNDER the 'halo' panel that covers your upper 'B' pillar area and goes across the top of the car BEHIND your targa roof.

IF this flange does not go under the 'halo' panel and you choose to laminate it in there...THUS leaving some of your original quarter panel so you have something to laminate or bond to....DO NOT be surprised if you are FOREVER dealing with a crack at this area. DO NOT ask me how I know this. I have paid my dues and I know how I would do it...regardless of how anybody else has done theirs. WHICH I am NOT judging anyone. I just KNOW how I have to do it now.

And not that you are asking...but if your car were in my shop. I would repair the quarter panel and not think twice about it. I would have less time in it and it would come out solid. And I would not have to deal with a bunch more seams and fitting issues and installing a handlaid fiberglass part instead of retaining the factory SMC panel.

The price on this panel is very enticing...but what is hidden is the amount of TIME and other materials you will need to install it.

Your car...your choice. But laminating up your quarter panel that is damaged now is nothing compared to what you are going to have to do if you choose to install this aftermarket quarter panel.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 06-07-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:16 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wow never seen smc like that scary!
Like peeling a golf ball open

Would like to follow along and watch progress just to see how it goes.
Always wished I could work with that stuff
Old 06-08-2016, 07:26 AM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
This is obviously an aftermarket quarter panel....and my primary concern it at the front of the quarter panel where it will meet up with the door....there is supposed to be a flange that would go UNDER the 'halo' panel that covers your upper 'B' pillar area and goes across the top of the car BEHIND your targa roof.

Crud didn't know that, was hoping it would be a 1 for 1

IF this flange does not go under the 'halo' panel and you choose to laminate it in there...THUS leaving some of your original quarter panel so you have something to laminate or bond to....DO NOT be surprised if you are FOREVER dealing with a crack at this area. DO NOT ask me how I know this. I have paid my dues and I know how I would do it...regardless of how anybody else has done theirs. WHICH I am NOT judging anyone. I just KNOW how I have to do it now.

And not that you are asking...but if your car were in my shop. I would repair the quarter panel and not think twice about it. I would have less time in it and it would come out solid. And I would not have to deal with a bunch more seams and fitting issues and installing a handlaid fiberglass part instead of retaining the factory SMC panel.

Well that makes sense, seems like it'll be more fabrication work to get it all fitted up and squared away than it would to just fix the original smc panel

The price on this panel is very enticing...but what is hidden is the amount of TIME and other materials you will need to install it.

Your car...your choice. But laminating up your quarter panel that is damaged now is nothing compared to what you are going to have to do if you choose to install this aftermarket quarter panel.

DUB
So then I guess it's back to the question of are my rough steps on how to do this the right way correct? or close to correct?
Old 06-08-2016, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Hopefully you have an air compressor and are willing to invest in some tools.

Use a 3M Rol-loc disc 3 inch...24 or 36 grit...it does not matter which one.

At MODERATE SPEED...when using the sander that the Rol-loc is attached to...begin to grind the damaged area and what you do is grind it using moderate PRESSURE and the fiber will or should come off and then you will get to good fibers that are still attached and will not just shear off or pop off. WHEN you get to that point...then you are at the point where the SMC is SOLID again...and that is the foundation that you can apply the material I mentioned in POST #7 ( 4th paragraph) WEST SYSTEMS EPOXY RESIN 105 and the 206 hardener.

Other than that...if you need more information...you will need to PM me so I can get you my shop number and you can call me..because I am not going to type out everything you need to know. I just do not have the hours to do that. But I do have time to talk you through it.

DUB
Old 06-08-2016, 06:33 PM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Ok thanks for the extra info. I'll PM you once I'm getting closer to giving this a shot.

Get notified of new replies

To Chipping/peeling C4

Quick Reply: Chipping/peeling C4