DIY-C6 Lexan Top

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:58 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Default DIY-C6 Lexan Top

Has anyone sanded down a C6 Lexan top and clear coated to get rid of the crazing/spider-webbing. If so, what was the process, and how did it turn out?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

******Professional perspective*******

No I have not nor will I. There is a special scratch resistant coating that has been applied to your top...and there is a product that can be used to replace it...just like the coating on the lenses of headlights that get milky....but I will not waste my time in doing so.

The only reason I wont do this is because I do this type of work for a living....and if the end result is not prefect...than the customer will more than likely complain and want a deal.

So..I tell them to send the top and get a new piece of acrylic installed if they want perfect. And if they do not care that it is perfect...they can do it themselves because I do not want my name and reputation attached to something that could possible fail in time and then I look like a crook or not look really good.

I have applied the UV coating on the front running lights of a 1991-1996 and the amount of time I spend on them to get them prefect is insane...so I can only imagine the targa roof.

Maybe someone will come in with a response that seems to suit your inquiry.

DUB
Old 05-29-2016, 06:35 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
******Professional perspective*******

No I have not nor will I. There is a special scratch resistant coating that has been applied to your top...and there is a product that can be used to replace it...just like the coating on the lenses of headlights that get milky....but I will not waste my time in doing so.

The only reason I wont do this is because I do this type of work for a living....and if the end result is not prefect...than the customer will more than likely complain and want a deal.

So..I tell them to send the top and get a new piece of acrylic installed if they want perfect. And if they do not care that it is perfect...they can do it themselves because I do not want my name and reputation attached to something that could possible fail in time and then I look like a crook or not look really good.

I have applied the UV coating on the front running lights of a 1991-1996 and the amount of time I spend on them to get them prefect is insane...so I can only imagine the targa roof.

Maybe someone will come in with a response that seems to suit your inquiry.

DUB
DUB,

I can see where you are coming from. It is no doubt a lot of work, with the results not guaranteed to be perfect.
I only ask because I have a spare one, and was just inquiring if anyone had ever done one (DIY), and with what type of results.
I may try it just to see what kind of results I can achieve when I have lot's of time.
I was planning to just do a wrap on it anyway, so even if the experiment goes terribly bad, I won't be messing with my good transparent top.
I really appreciate your opinion, and your professionalism when it comes to anything paint or body related.
Thanks for the response.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
DUB,

I can see where you are coming from. It is no doubt a lot of work, with the results not guaranteed to be perfect.
I only ask because I have a spare one, and was just inquiring if anyone had ever done one (DIY), and with what type of results.
I may try it just to see what kind of results I can achieve when I have lot's of time.
I was planning to just do a wrap on it anyway, so even if the experiment goes terribly bad, I won't be messing with my good transparent top.
I really appreciate your opinion, and your professionalism when it comes to anything paint or body related.
Thanks for the response.
I do what I can...and sometimes it is not what some people want to read....and keep this in mind...that IF you attempt to do something on this top and then want to wrap it....the wrap can only stick to something that will stick.....so...if what you apply on the top lets loose...then so will your wrap.

IF you want to shoot some clear on it....I would advise you to call and talk with the tech department of the manufacturer of the clear that you plan on using and MAKE SURE that the clear can be applied DIRECTLY to the acrylic....because in some cases it may require an adhesion promoter to link the acrylic to the clear coat.

DUB
Old 05-31-2016, 09:07 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

If it is the same as a C4 smoked top I can tell you it is a major pain to strip the top. Whatever that coating is it is very hard. I have done it once and would think twice about doing it again, especially since the car is still a work in progress and I don't know if the clearcoat is going to stand up to real world conditions. The clear has been on for about 8 months and looks good but it has also not been on a moving vehicle seeing the various stress and flexing you will get while driving. Have plenty of sanding discs ready should you decide to try this.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:12 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 929nitro
If it is the same as a C4 smoked top I can tell you it is a major pain to strip the top. Whatever that coating is it is very hard. I have done it once and would think twice about doing it again, especially since the car is still a work in progress and I don't know if the clearcoat is going to stand up to real world conditions. The clear has been on for about 8 months and looks good but it has also not been on a moving vehicle seeing the various stress and flexing you will get while driving. Have plenty of sanding discs ready should you decide to try this.
Thank you for the great feedback. I had heard that the coating is armor like, and very difficult to remove. I'm still on the fence about doing it, but if so, it would be a winter project.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:28 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

If I remember I went thru a disc of 120 da paper about every 10 x 10" section. Attached are a couple pictures. On stand as painted other one is in back seat of truck after wet sanding and buffing. Now I just have to hope that it holds up.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 929nitro; 05-31-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 929nitro
Whatever that coating is it is very hard. I have done it once and would think twice about doing it again, especially since the car is still a work in progress and I don't know if the clearcoat is going to stand up to real world conditions.
I wrote what the coating is in my first post (post #2 first paragraph)....and YES...it is stout stuff.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To DIY-C6 Lexan Top

Quick Reply: DIY-C6 Lexan Top