Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

which hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:41 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which hood

I want to put a l88 (with the air chamber) on my 1971. I have a small block and an edelbrock air-gap manifold, holley 750. I called J&D corvette and they don't think the longer hood (73 and up) will line up with my carb. anybody done this before.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am getting confused here because an L-88 hood that is correct with the air chamber is a short hood and nothing like a 1973 and up hood which are long hoods....so...why mention a 1973 and up hood if you are wanting to install the L88 hood??? Do you see the contradiction here? Unless you left something out in your initial post that would clear this up.

If you are using the correct designed L88 hood with the air chamber and it is a short hood like it is supposed to be....then my concern will be with you intake and carb....the height of the gasket surface of the carb where the bottom plate attaches so when you apply the seal to it...it will seal to the underside of the hood like it would if it were an L88.

I have not done this specific application...but I have done enough custom changes to this area to know that I need to set it up and take measurements.

I have cut out air chambers and modified them along with numerous other modifications to get parts to come together and work.

IF you want it to work...it can work....but it may require using some modeling clay and test fitting the parts to see what your clearance is if you do not obtain specific measurements of car that you can use as a gauge.

DUB
Old 05-31-2016, 06:20 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

What I was thinking was to eliminate the wiper door and put a longer hood on. I also wanted to use a cold air chamber for performance. so I guess I am learning what will and won't work.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2016, 06:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
What I was thinking was to eliminate the wiper door and put a longer hood on. I also wanted to use a cold air chamber for performance. so I guess I am learning what will and won't work.
Thanks
If you are going with the long hood and getting rid of your wiper door system....I have not looked into anyone making an L88 long hood with the correct air chamber.

You can get this to work...but it might not go on straight out of the box...so-to-speak.

What type of air cleaner base or system are you planning on using??? if you are wanting to use the CORRECT L88 set-up....then it will depend on the hood you get and what will need to be done to the underside to get things to fit.

Do not give up on your idea...unless the time you spend on this you feel is being wasted.

DUB
Old 06-01-2016, 11:08 AM
71frameoff
Instructor

I am still in the planning stage so I think I will go with the stock short l88 hood and see if i can make the stock air cleaner base work with it.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:46 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

the guys at ZIP think this long hood will work on my 71, any thoughts??
http://www.zip-corvette.com/68-72-l8...hand-laid.html
he said to use the 1969 l88 air cleaner base on my holley and everything will work??
Old 06-02-2016, 05:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

the guys at ZIP think this long hood will work on my 71, any thoughts??
http://www.zip-corvette.com/68-72-l8...hand-laid.html
he said to use the 1969 l88 air cleaner base on my holley and everything will work??
KEY WORD used was ...THINK. And not KNOW.

If the intake you are using is 2 inches higher where the carb is set on it....then how can it work.

I am sure it can be made to work...but as I mentioned before....you have to consider the height of the carburetor gasket surface where the air cleaner base will set...and then the top of the engine block at the 'china' walls. Factor in that measurement....then figure in the drop down on the air cleaner base.

Because you have to take into the account how high your intake and carb is in relation to what a facotry set-up is. And this is important IF you find that you can not modify the correct air cleaner base and get it to go lower (if needed).... so the seal will seal against the underside of the hood.

DUB
Old 06-02-2016, 06:07 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Wow, a lot to consider...... I need to reconsider this. Thanks a lot for the info and advise!
Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Wow, a lot to consider...... I need to reconsider this. Thanks a lot for the info and advise!
It ALL boils down to the 'angles of the dangles'.

I have had to deal with SO many issues like this...so much of it is simply math and taking good precise measurements....before I begin to cut and modify anything. Because...commenting from experience....I can tell you that the air cleaner base and the throttle linkage is what can screw you up in a fast second!

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To which hood

Quick Reply: which hood