Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Sanding depth

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Sanding depth

Hell I got started on my 87 corvette repaint. I'm glad to be doing it actually. Well I began sanding and I'm attempting to keep the original black primer. Well In one area I sanded alittle too deep... the panel had damage and I got carried away. Can you guys advise if I need do anything but clean and prime (still needs a 400 grit sblock sand)? These are the rear quarters This is the deepest but I don't think I'm threw the gel coat
Here's the full damaged panel
Here's me being way more careful
Old 07-05-2017, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

First off...just to let you know...there is NO gelcoat on your car. SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) does not have nor never had gelcoat on it.

AS for your dilemma....I would apply an epoxy primer and then apply the 2K primer of your choosing so you can block it down and get it ready for paint.

FOR WHAT THIS IS WORTH:

Not knowing what the actual paint looked like before you sanded on it and I mean really getting down and looking at it for bubbles or any areas of blistering. What I can somewhat concerned about is what I can see in your first photo where on the left side of the photo....it appears that there are visible white specks in the black primer...and if these are actual bubbles that are being sanded off...thus exposing the bubble....THIS can possibly cause a problem AFTER it has been painted.

Like I wrote.,..it all depends on what the paint looked like..and I know that if I am exposing air bubbles (blisters) and the air bubble goes to the raw SMC...I would have serious concerns if I need to take the black primer all the way off and start from bare SMC.

Many SMC panels have been known to have a problem with products applied to them not adhering. And it can actually get worse if the car is left outside under car cover (regardless of the type of cover).

DUB
Old 07-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Thank you for the reply, I will give the paint a closer look for any type of bubbling and/or blistering. I'm hoping those white dots are specs of paint I have sanded off. I jumped into this project but I'm happy to have started, I will defiantly be asking more questions as I progress. I'm likely to cover it in epoxy primer, then 4K. Like you suggested as I will look into this, I'm now not sure if I bought the correct primer... I may primer it, block sand it, then hand it over to the professionals for to be touched up and sprayed but we shall see.

Thank you!

I've got the bumper being blasted right now I will send pictures
Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Default Panel smoothness

DUB,

as I get the panels down to the black primer, I am sure I am adding "waves" even tho I am being as careful as possible, I know this is even more prevalent with this being a corvette. I don't plan on having this car look any better then it would look leaving the factory, but I still want it too look nice. My idea to correct this waviness is after my first coat of primer, to lightly spray cheap paint on the panel and block sand to see where it is uneven, and then add another coat of primer to these areas and sand again, and again... and Again. But I wanted to know if you'd shair your technique. Thank you!

-Kevin
Old 07-07-2017, 05:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kdeman1
DUB,

as I get the panels down to the black primer, I am sure I am adding "waves" even tho I am being as careful as possible, I know this is even more prevalent with this being a corvette. I don't plan on having this car look any better then it would look leaving the factory, but I still want it too look nice. My idea to correct this waviness is after my first coat of primer, to lightly spray cheap paint on the panel and block sand to see where it is uneven, and then add another coat of primer to these areas and sand again, and again... and Again. But I wanted to know if you'd shair your technique. Thank you!

-Kevin
Kevin,
So much of it depends on what tool you are using to get down to the black primer. Manually blocking it can aid in not having bad waves in the primer.

Using a D/A sadner can cause for problems due to it does take some time to get really good with it...and even professionals know where NOT to use it.

As for my method..I will prime it and then use the 'dry guide coat' from 3M what is a black powder that I can use to guide me when I am blocking the panels and get them flat. Instead of spraying a bunch of paint that I am going to have to sand off and waste the money on that.

DUB
Old 07-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Now is a good time to remove that antenna bezel.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Dt86
Now is a good time to remove that antenna bezel.
seems like a good idea🤔
Old 07-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Default bleeding?

Hello it almost looks like the panels are... bleeding? Can some elberate as too what is happening? It seems like the SMC is breathing? It did have probably 5 coats of paint on there. Possibly anyone know what this is? It's currently outside I either corver from rain or let it bake in the sun. If it needs to be in a garage please let me know? Thanks guys!
Old 07-08-2017, 04:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Is this car being left outside???

IF it is...is it being covered with ANYTHING????

In 30+ years I have NEVER had this happen.

For what it is worth. The outer window sealing strip that seal against your door glass should be removed along with the door handle and outside mirror.

The reason is this...regardless of how good you attempt to prep it...you can not get all the way to the edge 100%...and that un-prepped/sanded surface is what can cause your paint to lift off in time.

Because if oyu choose not to do it that is fine...it IS your corvette....but do not be shocked if one day you notice paint that has come off in the areas I had mentioned....along with ANY other area that you can not get the paint correctly prepped.

You are taking the time to remove the bumpers...which is GOOD...so...why stop there in order to get the best job you can.

JUST REMEMBER...ANY painted area that is not scuffed or dulled out and you apply anything on it...it will not stick NO WHERE near as well as IF it were prepped correctly.

DUB
Old 07-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
Is this car being left outside???

IF it is...is it being covered with ANYTHING????

In 30+ years I have NEVER had this happen.

For what it is worth. The outer window sealing strip that seal against your door glass should be removed along with the door handle and outside mirror.

The reason is this...regardless of how good you attempt to prep it...you can not get all the way to the edge 100%...and that un-prepped/sanded surface is what can cause your paint to lift off in time.

Because if oyu choose not to do it that is fine...it IS your corvette....but do not be shocked if one day you notice paint that has come off in the areas I had mentioned....along with ANY other area that you can not get the paint correctly prepped.

You are taking the time to remove the bumpers...which is GOOD...so...why stop there in order to get the best job you can.

JUST REMEMBER...ANY painted area that is not scuffed or dulled out and you apply anything on it...it will not stick NO WHERE near as well as IF it were prepped correctly.

DUB

It's covered but it's being kept outside, I am actually working on removing the weather stripping currently, the outside mirror wiring harness is giving me issues, but I will everntually get it. Thank you for the reply I am not sure what that residue is... hmm
Old 07-08-2017, 05:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

It's covered but it's being kept outside,
THIS IS NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are basically creating a 'greenhouse' by covering it outside.... and having exposed SMC....you are REALLY asking for problems.

I know many people may do there own paint and body work at the end of the drive way...BUT..I can tell you that allowing it to be exposed to the elements is NOT good..and covering it does not help at all.

And thinking that covering it is helping ...well...those who think that are mistaken.,...especially when it rains or if it is humid....and it is covered...and water/moisture gets UNDER the car...and then the sun comes out....and the water evaporates and gets trapped UNDER the cover (REGARDLESS of what type of cover) and then that moisture is now 'steamed' into the panel. Stop and think about it....or don't think about it and let your body 'sweat out moisture as like your photos clearly show it doing.

I know it has been done by people who do not have a garage to do it in but that does NOT make it the best way.

What material is the cover you are using made out of??? Just curious.

DUB
Old 07-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

[QUOTE=DUB;1595104596]

DUB, I have the cover named "the wall" I will work to get this car into a garaged area. I understand what you're saying with the cover and I see how that is a problem! I didn't think about that at all, but the fact that it is now sweeting out the moister is that a good thing as I want to get it all out as of right now??? I also sadly am not taking the black trim that goes all the way around the car off because I don't want to ruin and replace it yet.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB, I have the cover named "the wall" I will work to get this car into a garaged area. I understand what you're saying with the cover and I see how that is a problem! I didn't think about that at all, but the fact that it is now sweeting out the moister is that a good thing as I want to get it all out as of right now??? I also sadly am not taking the black trim that goes all the way around the car off because I don't want to ruin and replace it yet.
YES...I would put it in the sun and let it dry out and then get it back into the garage and at all costs ...try not to allow the raw SMC to get wet.

NOW...when it is in the garage you can cover it if you feel the need to do so...as long as your garage is not one where it gets really humid and water drips from the ceiling. IF your garage is that way....find another place to work on it.

AS for leaving the black trim..that is your call....and I am not here to enforce my ways of doing things. Because you have been advised and that is all I can do from here.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 07-09-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Default Damage

hello! As I am sanding my car down I am finding damage. Some areas will sand out luckily, but other areas, like in the picture, are fairly deep. How do you normally fix this?

Thank you!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Please take the time to rotate your photos correctly. Because you might just ask question about some damage and the photo being taken so close to the damage..... there will be no way in knowing where it is located....because some repairs will cause for a different repair method due to their location.

If you plan on posting a photo of the damage really close up so we can see what is wrong with it is fine...but also take another photos from a distance away from it and if you have to point to it so we know where it is located will aid us. Remember we have to see what you see.

I assume this is at the bottom front corner of your door where it meets the fender.

This can be filled with VPA.( Vette Panel Ahdesive)

DUB
Old 07-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Hi dub! The cars going under the gun today... yikes! Thanks for all the help. The only issue of left with are these damn handles! But I'm gonna tape them over and remove them later and prime. Thanks again for all the help
Old 07-25-2017, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

I hope all goes well for you.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Sanding depth

Old 07-31-2017, 07:41 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Will the next coat fill this in alittle better? Then when sanded it'll appear smoother?
Thank you!

Originally Posted by DUB
I hope all goes well for you.

DUB

hello Dub, can you assist with a question? I finished the first coat of primer on the vet. But it close up it looks alittle rough... which makes me nervous, I sanded it 220 and 400 so I'm ready for another coat, does the next coat further effectively fill in these small little indents? It feels smooth but I'm nervous I did something wrong... here's a close up pic of the hood. Thank you
Old 08-01-2017, 06:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

What are you using for a primer????

How are you applying this primer..

And ...general rule of thumb...you do not sand between EACH coat of primer. Depending on the primer you are using..there is usually a specific amount that be applied is a priming session...for example ...3 coats.

Do you have the technical bulletin sheet for this primer you are using??? This information will tell you how it needs to be reduced and applied and the flash times and so on.

Is this your first time doing this type of work???...or using this primer???

DUB
Old 08-02-2017, 05:04 AM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

that dont look right... Dont paint over that. Take out all those pinholes. something is wrong.

Is it like that everywhere? Almost looks like the paint got too hot and went to crap and started splattering instead of fine mist. gun clogged? maybe the paint wasnt mixed properly?

Quick Reply: Sanding depth