Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 03:54 PM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Paint Issue

This is a picture of the hood on my 1986 C4 with discoloration. It is kept under 2 car covers that are tied down with webbing style rope in 2 places so that in high winds the covers don't move. These stains have started to appear just this year after having the car for over 5 years. The 2 car covers claim to be breathable, but waterproof and in storms they do a great job keeping water off the car. They get removed at least once a week so never stay on long and the soft liner on the one closest to the car is white. I have tried to hand compound the spots off and they fade a little but don't come completely off. In direct sunlight they are hard to see, but in shade like this picture, they are really visible. Any suggestions on how to remove these spots or prevent them from happening? I clay barred the car earlier this year and use Maguires or turtle wax. Want to avoid a respray if possible since it is a survivor with all original paint. Two tone, silver over grey.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:13 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

looks to be coming from underneath .
Old 07-31-2017, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireeagle
T Any suggestions on how to remove these spots or prevent them from happening?
No...the damage has been done. If you have tried and it is not coming out...then it is IN the paint.

Originally Posted by Fireeagle
Want to avoid a respray if possible since it is a survivor with all original paint. Two tone, silver over grey.
You have 2 choices in this as I see it. 1.) Live with it and hope other areas do not start to show up due to it is covered outside. 2.) Paint it and hope that with you covering it it does not come back again.

I understand that it seems you take the time to remove the car cover and allow the car to breathe. But I still have a very strong opinion on car covers used outside that will never change. Outside covers still cause for an environment that the car under it to be different than that of a car that is not covered....especially if the car is in a humid/moist climate.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Fireeagle (08-01-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Issue

Quick Reply: Paint Issue