Evercoat 994

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:01 AM
edtekk
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evercoat 994

It appears Evercoat has discontinued 994 SMC panel adhesive. Does anyone know of a replacement adhesive?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by edtekk
It appears Evercoat has discontinued 994 SMC panel adhesive. Does anyone know of a replacement adhesive?
I am aware of this and for me it really sucks. I LOVED the 994 and what it could do. I am currently in search of product like it.

DUB
Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 AM
edtekk
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I am aware of this and for me it really sucks. I LOVED the 994 and what it could do. I am currently in search of product like it.

DUB
Just received 3 cans of 994 and was expecting it to be a thick body putty but upon opening to my surprise this stuff is very thin is this normal or is it just old?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:54 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by edtekk
Just received 3 cans of 994 and was expecting it to be a thick body putty but upon opening to my surprise this stuff is very thin is this normal or is it just old?
That's normal as far as I can tell. The 994 I have been using has been soft too. Like sour cream I would say.

You're a lucky one edtekk! I have not been able to get a hold of a new can of 994 since you originally posted this info.
I have original inner skirts and aftermarket hand-laid flared fenders to glue onto my SMC '77.
Wondering what I should be using at this point.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

The consistently can be somewhat runny...sour cream kinda describes it very well.

I have four quart cans that are about 3 years old and have never been opened or subjected to excessive heat or cold and when I opening one up the other day...it was still good and I did not see any rust building up inside the walls of the can.

If you are concerned...make a small golf ball size and mix it up and leave it in a thick blob and see if it hardens. That will let you know if you are good to use it or not. DO NOT spread it out think like a razor blade thickness because it will never cure. It needs thickness for it to cure as designed.

I understand why manufacturers put a shelf life on a product...mainly because that is where they feel safe and not have to pay for any problems....BUT...that does not always mean that the day after the one year expires that the product miraculously goes bad. It is not like milk ...where it goes bad the day they state.

DUB
Old 09-12-2017, 06:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by RBrid
I have original inner skirts and aftermarket hand-laid flared fenders to glue onto my SMC '77.
Wondering what I should be using at this point.
You can use the SEM adhesive for that.

http://www.semproducts.com/manage/ht...l_adhesive.pdf

Or you can laminate them in with the West Systems epoxy resin.

I do not use it but I believe I was recently on a thread where a member mentioned that West Systems has an adhesive that will work.

I am still searching for a product like the 994.

DUB
Old 09-13-2017, 12:16 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Thanks DUB. That SEM 39747 looks like a very good fit for my needs. I already have SEM's Beige Seam Sealer (39477) and their static mixer tips (70011). I thought I had their Universal Manual Applicator (71119) too, but I could not find it tonight. I'm either going insane, or there's too much mess in my garage, or both.

Get notified of new replies

To Evercoat 994

Quick Reply: Evercoat 994