Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Quality paint match.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 04:24 PM
moodysman
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Quality paint match.

I recently had my front bumper cover painted on my C7 and it wasn't a good match at all. The shop owner said that's the best they could do and probably couldn't satisfy me.

Does anyone in the Sarasota/Tamps area know of someone that cares enough to put some work into getting a good match?
Much thanks
Old 09-06-2017, 06:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am NOT...repeat... NOT soliciting business from you...and I do not know of anybody in your area...but please consider this. Because if you are looking for someone to butt match the color (which is unknown)...can be a VERY expensive endeavor.

First off...it has absolutely nothing to do with how new the Corvette is. What it is dealing with is that only the bumper is being painted and you are expecting the shop to almost perfectly match the fenders and hood...which is not going to happen very easily.

If this was an insurance claim..I am sure that the insurance company paid them to paint it and barely gave them anything at all for being able to tint the color and shoot a spray out test panel to verify the tinting. They often times will give one hour.....which is total joke and not much of anything can be done in one hour when it comes to tinting a color and spraying and clearcoating the test panel.

GM paint the bumpers in a separate area and they actually rarely match perfectly...especially if it is a metallic/pearl color....but it can occur to solid colors also

SO..Knowing that I do have an awesome eye for color and I could match what you have and make you happy. The amount of time would shock you and thus...you would more than likely be pissed on how much I would have to charge you to tint this color and spray out test panels to verify that the color is darn near perfect.

And...the camera that PPG has that can take as snapshot of the color and draw form a huge database of colors in the library to get a formula....that is for a 'blendable' match and not a 'butt' match.

If the bumper is ONLY being painted...that is considered a butt match.

DUB

Quick Reply: Quality paint match.