Hail Damage on a Vette body... Yes, it happens

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Pekenoe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hail Damage on a Vette body... Yes, it happens

July 18, 2017 Newell, SD C6 2008 Vette
Hail storm..... not your normal hail storm. Golf ball sized, no biggie, BUT...... they were clear solid ***** of ice pushed by 80 mph wind, shredded gardens, took the bark off trees, many breaks in the fiberglass roof of our motorhome, windows and siding gone on houses.

Have seen many posts about how impervious vettes are to hail and evidently our situation may be close to unique, State Farm refuses to believe that the stress cracks in the clear coat were cause by hail cause there are no dents. Fighting with them currently, will win but hate the hassle when all our agent had to do was give verification that there was indeed a hail storm.

Pix of the a few of the stress fractures attached.

Last edited by Pekenoe; 10-07-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have no doubt that the hail...due to being that size could do that.

I guess some people working for insurance companies never took physics and do not realize that.... FORCE=mass x acceleration

And if it took bark off of trees...what and the heck are they thinking that the SMC that this car is made out of can handle that direct hit at such force.

This is a simple...that if the weight of ice ball was known or closely approximated ...and knowing how fast it was being accelerated ( 80 mph)...then knowing how hard it hit the panel can be ascertained. Then let 'Mythbusters' make an ice ball and launch it at your panel to SHOW these 'unbelievers' that it can happen.

I hope you make head way with them.....because getting them to come off any money may cause you to go 'up the ladder' and hopefully find a person working for them that has the intelligence to see what has happened.

The last photo you posted ...to me...looks like there are two cracks apart from one another and the distance between them could be the size of the hail....and kinda funny how the crack on the left has a curve to it and is more pronounced...but the crack on the right side also has a bit of a curve to it.

Find an SMC panel form a local body shop and take a ball peen hammer and hit it and see what happens....it might amaze you on how stout the SMC really is. You really have to hit it..and yet it will not dent...but it will crack...and I know this because I have done this to show adjuster how the SMC reacts.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Pekenoe (10-07-2017)

Quick Reply: Hail Damage on a Vette body... Yes, it happens