Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Panel Adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:04 AM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Panel Adhesive

71 Convertibe. I am replacing my front inner fender , right plenum panel on the fire wall, and the small square bonding strip on the lower fender behind the egg crate. Question is, can I use the Evercoat Vette Panel Adhesive #870 for SMC and Fiberglass or would it be better to go to a different adhesive, possibly an epoxy product..(which one). Seems that the recommendations are changing quickly as new products come out.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

VPA CAN be used to bond polyester fiberglas to itself.

It CANNOT be used to bond SMC to itself or polyester fiberglass.

VPA CAN be used to fill SMC and polyester fiberglass.

To bond these different materials it is wise to use the 2-part cartridge type epoxies that get dispensed with caulking gun or special applicator gun;

SEM, FUSOR, 3M, DURAMIX and others offer these type of adhesives.

I use the SEM 39747.....and I have used the FUSOR T21...and ASHLAND CHEMCIALS 'Pliogrip"

But I will add this comment an hopefully you take it seriously. IF you find an epoxy that you want to use. I would call the tech line of that manufacturer and verify that the date code on the product still falls in line with it being good product...and ALSO verify HOW they want the surfaces prepped before you apply their product. Because...they are not all the same in how they want this prep work done so do not assume anything

DUB.
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
doorgunner (04-24-2018), Norm07 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
VPA CAN be used to bond polyester fiberglas to itself.

It CANNOT be used to bond SMC to itself or polyester fiberglass.

VPA CAN be used to fill SMC and polyester fiberglass.

To bond these different materials it is wise to use the 2-part cartridge type epoxies that get dispensed with caulking gun or special applicator gun;

SEM, FUSOR, 3M, DURAMIX and others offer these type of adhesives.

I use the SEM 39747.....and I have used the FUSOR T21...and ASHLAND CHEMCIALS 'Pliogrip"

But I will add this comment an hopefully you take it seriously. IF you find an epoxy that you want to use. I would call the tech line of that manufacturer and verify that the date code on the product still falls in line with it being good product...and ALSO verify HOW they want the surfaces prepped before you apply their product. Because...they are not all the same in how they want this prep work done so do not assume anything

DUB.
Thanks Dub, exactly what I was looking for
Old 03-14-2018, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm07
Thanks Dub, exactly what I was looking for

I hope it all goes well for you.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Panel Adhesive